Post Thanks / Like

Hibernation advice

I've had my scat wide body for about 5 months or so and the thing is awesome. It's unfortunately getting close to time to put it away for the winter. My question is for those who park it for the winter. Anyone have any opinions on putting it on jack stands for those months? I'm thinking just to avoid flat spotting the tires.. Otherwise it's top off the fuel tank, add stabilizer, and put a battery tender on. Anything else? I was going to change the oil in the spring even though it's not even close to recommended mileage for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not a northern region dweller but I would keep the tires from sitting under that weight all winter. Some are bad enough in the summer over night. Ultra High Performance tires are more prone.
    2013 Dodge Charger R/T Plus, Edelbrock E-Force 2300TVS 6.4 PSI, Mustang-Dyno Tuned 418hp/430tq, 3.06:1, Severe Duty Radiator, Dual Fans, OE Oil Cooler, Pursuit BR9 Brakes, Corsa CatBack, Bilstein Dampers, Catch Can, AlfaOBD enabled Sport Mode & SRT Pages, Fogs on w/High Beams, Add Reverse Cam & Auto Dimming & Tilt in Reverse Left Door Mirror.

Post Thanks / Like
    No need with modern tire design...lifting to suspend the tires - does nothing. Besides...I'd rather have the car in a position to be pushed or driven out the garage in an emergency.

Stuff worth doing:
    - Fill the fuel tank - right full (this is really important if stored outside - especially where temperatures fluctuate significantly (water condensate gathers, no air - no condensate)
    - Disconnect B-, then charge the BATT to 100% (they are never @ 100% in-situ)
    - Do not(!) move the steering wheel with the BATT disconnected (or put it back to as close to the same position as possible)
    - Check the BATT periodically by measuring at least 12.2V+ (recharge - as necessary)
    - Do not use a BATT tender - unless it is a modern design with pulse (full current) charge settings (never use trickle which sulphates the cell plates and kills batteries very quickly)
    - If storage temps are below zero, remove the BATT and store at no more than 20C (note that at 0C, charge acceptance is near half of normal)
    - Time the last oil change to coincide with parking the vehicle. People should understand detergents / additives are still doing their job, while the vehicle is parked, especially(!) during significant temperature changes. Again - water condensate gathers in every single cavity (fuel tank, engine, exhaust system, differential, transmission).

Really bad things to-do:
    - Periodically start vehicle - thinking "its good for the seals" or " it's good to lubricate ____", or some other emotionally-driven reason. Engines could not care less (not all the oil magically drained into the pan). In fact - more harm occurs starting and idling for 15min than at any other time of the year).

After sitting for awhile and prior to starting, you can guarantee complete lubrication by doring the following:
    - Switch EVIC display to see oil pressure / oil can
    - Simply depress the accelerator pedal to the floor
    - Crank the engine (none of our platformswill activate the ignition system as long as the pedal is to the floor) until you see pressure begin to build
    - Continue cranking until oil pressure stabilizes (~10sec)
    - Start engine and drive away...
    Last edited by Hemissary; 11-04-2020 at 09:28 PM.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Likes someotherguy, OlGeezer2018 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent response. Thank you for your time!
    Thanks Hemissary thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If you do not put it on stands let us know how that works out for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Race ramps have flat stoppers.buddy at work uses them on his mustang

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums
    2015 GC SRT redline/red vapor
    2003 SVT Cobra w/ Kenne Bell

Post Thanks / Like
    Putting mine into hibernation tomorrow. I air the tires up to 45-50 PSI, disconnect the negative cable, throw the cover on it and walk away. That's how it sits until spring when I reconnect the battery and it immediately comes to life. Doing that for 12 years and never had a problem. Just remember to put something over trunk latch so it doesn't lock on you, I learned that the 1st time I stored it.
    PHATHEMI
    Likes ODB liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frank6060 View Post
    Putting mine into hibernation tomorrow. I air the tires up to 45-50 PSI, disconnect the negative cable, throw the cover on it and walk away. That's how it sits until spring when I reconnect the battery and it immediately comes to life. Doing that for 12 years and never had a problem. Just remember to put something over trunk latch so it doesn't lock on you, I learned that the 1st time I stored it.
    Excellent point :^)

Leave the hood or the hatch / trunk ajar. I put a rag between the hatch latch and the hook to ensure it does not close - and lock me out. Which brings up something else I did to the Magnum for road course action; a secondary hood opening mechanism just above the headlight. I can fish out the handle pull I fashioned from a length of plasticized wire cabling. Why do I have it? a) if the BATT died - I can always get in and, b) while at the road course, I hang it out between the headlight and the hood to allow me to open the hood from outside the vehicle in an emergency. The rest of the time, its hidden:

Last edited by Hemissary; 11-01-2020 at 12:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Atco is next weekend then I clean her up put the street tires on and put the cover on her. Take the ins off her I think this winter I’m gonna back her in and get a battery tender. I’m tired of a dead battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

HWDan is offline 2005 Magnum RT amd 2017 Charger SRT 392!
    Post Thanks / Like
    On a NOCO 7200 smart charger. I do put it on a timer for a few hours late at night as they tend to leak interference something fierce into the AM band. (yes I do listen to sports radio most of the day.)

I also fill the tires (they are summer Pirelli's) to 40-45 psi and cover the car. Even with another car coming in and out of the garage daily, the rotors never rust but I do try to squeegee out any snow melt if the other car tracks any in.

Also, endorsed by SRT engineers themselves, there is a recommended restart procedure to use come spring. It's basically the flood start procedure. Hold the gas and brake and push the start button, keep the gas floored. It will turn over for 10-15 seconds or so but NOT start. I do it about 2-3 times just to make sure some oil moves around. There's an article about it from one of the Dodge SRT sites, I'll see if I can find it, in case no one believes it. Sometimes I got an ugly racket at startup after a few months sitting, but I don't using the flood start procedure first.
    Hot Wheel Dan

2005 Magnum RT and 2017 Charger SRT Maximum Steel!
    Likes limage3355 liked this post