Thread: Fuel Smell

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Smell

So this just started today. Upon start up i can smell raw fuel. It is strong and after driving for a min or two it goes away. Only happens after sitting for hours. No leaks or visible puddles. No smell upon opening hood. Car is a 2016 Scat with 55,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Is your fuel tank full or close to it? Pull the rear seat and look at the pumps.
    2013 Dodge Charger R/T Plus, Edelbrock E-Force 2300TVS 6.4 PSI, Mustang-Dyno Tuned 418hp/430tq, 3.06:1, Severe Duty Radiator, Dual Fans, OE Oil Cooler, Pursuit BR9 Brakes, Corsa CatBack, Bilstein Dampers, Catch Can, AlfaOBD enabled Sport Mode & SRT Pages, Fogs on w/High Beams, Add Reverse Cam & Auto Dimming & Tilt in Reverse Left Door Mirror.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. I’ll check there. So the pumps are inside the car?

Post Thanks / Like
    The pumps are under the rear seat,just pull up on the lower rear seat cushion at each corner and it pops out.
    Thanks Blokhead thanked for this post
    Likes Rffanat1c liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 16 scat with the same thing. There is an active recall for mine to replace the evap canister. I'll take mine in soon and let you know how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rod Joe View Post
    I have a 16 scat with the same thing. There is an active recall for mine to replace the evap canister. I'll take mine in soon and let you know how it goes.
    I’m interested to see what happens. Mine does not have that recall interestingly enough

Post Thanks / Like
    I get a smell like this too at times in my 300. It went in for the evap recall but still does it :( It seems very random when it does it...

Post Thanks / Like
    The fuel pumps in these cars sometimes crack at the tops. Sometimes by heavy passenger activity in the back seat and sometimes aging of the plastic.
    Some have had resistance heat at the harness connection and it browns the plastic making it brittle.

Its best practice on the Charger not to try and completely fill the tank to prevent expansion from putting pressure on the pump cover seals. When the gas station pumps clicks, stop there.

Post Thanks / Like
    They re shipping some year model pumps with a wiring harness. Read the instructions. Do not toss the harness and put it on the old connector. It will not pump. You will be right back in there. Been there , did that.
    Be sure and have 1/3 tank or less.

Post Thanks / Like
    Had that in my '07 300 SRT8. Changed the EVAP canister and some other EVAP relay under the hood as well as a new AUX fuel pump on the passenger side under the rear seat. Dealer wanted $2,500 to replace all these items. Ordered the parts online for $300 and it took me under 2 hours taking my time after watching an online video how to do it.
    2016 Charger SRT TorRed Best: ET 12.70, MPH 112.30 (DA 2446ft.), 60ft. (1.95 radials) BBK 85mm, AFE CAI, Johan 91Oct tune. 1/2 Mile: 135.38mph, 1 Mile: 160.0mph; 1.5 mile 170 (let off to avoid breaking out of 170 class)

2008 Caliber SRT4 Inferno Red - SOLD [email protected] (2.327 60 ft.) MS1K v.2, MPx catted DP, K&N drop-in, NGK plugs, RT 180, Mopar hitch, new short block @ 82,000
    2007 300C SRT8 Inferno Red - SOLD [email protected] (2.003 60 ft.) AFE CAI, Predator 93 CAI, Magnaflow gutted high-flow cats, Stack intake spacer, BBK 85mm TB, JET 188, Proxes 4 275/40ZR20

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gapi View Post
    The fuel pumps in these cars sometimes crack at the tops. Sometimes by heavy passenger activity in the back seat and sometimes aging of the plastic.
    Some have had resistance heat at the harness connection and it browns the plastic making it brittle.

Its best practice on the Charger not to try and completely fill the tank to prevent expansion from putting pressure on the pump cover seals. When the gas station pumps clicks, stop there.
    My '09 passenger side pump did this. top covered with little cracks. I park on gravel, so never noticed fuel on the ground.
    Makes me want to put a piece of plywood under the seat cushion hoping this will eliminate pressure on the top of the pumps.
    This may inspire me to actually do it!