Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking for specific feedback RE: track day pads

Hey everyone,Did some searching on the forum and can't seem to find specific info comparing the following for a 4pot (non-Dynamics) Scat-Powerstop Track Day pads vs-Hawk DTC60/70 pads vs-Carbotech XP10/XP12 padsFor some background, I have been using my car relatively frequently on the road course (5 days so far, 5 more planned before season's end here in Chicago). My first day out, I obliterated the stock brake system + ATE brake fluid in about 30 mins (front pads went from 7mils to the backing plate, front rotors scored beyond repair). After the first day, I replaced the brakes with Powerstop "Track Day" front (Rotors + Pads) and rear (stock rotors + upgraded pads) + Brembo HTC64 fluid. This setup seems to do a lot better (got through 4 events, 2 of them "open track" types where you can run the car for an hour straight if you want) with minimal issues (the brakes still kinda fall off at maximum attack pace longer than 20 mins). After starting the Powerstop pads around 8.5 mils, the fronts are now at 2 mils after 3 days and maybe 2.5k street miles. Since the pads are due for replacement, I figured I'd try and do some more research and perhaps try one of the other "aggressive" options for this car. I understand that the options seem to be quite a bit more limited than that for the 6 pot caliper, and even finding the appropriate part numbers for a 4 pot Scat Front/Rear pad isn't very straightforwardAny info for the above would be GREATLY appreciated!Thanks
    Thanks Blokhead thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry about the formatting above, I tried to space it out to make it easy to read but the forum just smashed it all into one paragraph??? lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Can’t help you cause I’m taking your advice. I’m back to the autobahn Monday with the powerstop track pads but I’ll probably keep the rotors from z26 street package I had. I emailed powerstop, they said they have no idea why the track day folks seem to prefer the solid rotors and that it’s totally fine to run their drilled and slotted ones on the track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL Powerstops own "track day package" with rotors and pads comes with solid rotors...Not that the rotor matters too much, as long as it has decent cooling....its the aggressive pad that matters.

Post Thanks / Like

Thefrankenberry posted this in my post “1st time tracking my scatpack”
    Honestly doesn’t seem like there are more than a few options for us.

Likes blue_devil liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Will call Carbotech in the AM and see what I can dig up, as their site isn't very informative. Anyone with any other info, it would be greatly appreciated. I am assuming I will see out at Autobahn 09/14 and 10/12 Pete?

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ll be out there next Monday 8/3 with a different group, mvp tracktime. Nothing else paid for yet but I’d like to do at least one more this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JAhmed View Post
    Did some searching on the forum and can't seem to find specific info comparing the following for a 4pot (non-Dynamics) Scat-Powerstop Track Day pads vs-Hawk DTC60/70 pads vs-Carbotech XP10/XP12 pads...I understand that the options seem to be quite a bit more limited than that for the 6 pot caliper, and even finding the appropriate part numbers for a 4 pot Scat Front/Rear pad isn't very straightforwardAny info for the above would be GREATLY appreciated!Thanks
    For the Brembos there's only 3 styles of pads and typically the pattern specs will match up with the same 4 digits in the part number:
    15.4" 6-piston front: type #1405
    14.2" 4-piston front: type #1149
    13.8" 4-piston rear: type #1053

Carbotech's site actually has a pretty good application selector to find the right pads. I usually order from KNS but direct is an option. I use the AX6 for daily driving and autocross although it is a little noisy. Track days (unfortunately none so far this year) I swap on XP12 out front and XP8 out back. There are other options out there (the race pad manufacturers can always make them following the type specs or analyzing a sample) such as the Raybestos ST-4x series, Porterfield, Pagid, Colbalt, Project Mu, et cetera.

I chose CT pads since that's what O.G. LX road racer - and old LXF member - used to win championships a decade ago. That was Joel Vandiver (joelvan) in NASA's American Iron series with his stroked 426 Pursuit Charger then green Challenger (featured as one of the house cars to beat on the old SpeedTV show "Are You Faster Than a Redneck"). Here's a couple good articles published about him and his Mopars:

Piecemeal Effort - Joel Vandiver’s 2008 Dodge Challenger is something of an oddity in American Iron - NASA Speed News Magazine

https://moparconnectionmagazine.com/...joel-vandiver/
    FURIOUS FUCHSIA 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
    FLOW Legmaker intake, Belanger Tri-Y headers, Zoomers catback, Joelvan's p/s pulley & Russell cooler, 392 front clip // GO 215mm Wavetrac LSD, AMG diff cooler & BlueTops, B&M pan, Tranzformer & NoESP // WHOA RideTech coilovers, Hotchkis sways, PowerGrid endlinks, REM bumpsteer, REM & Petty braces, CTP/BFNY solid cradle bushings, AAD harness bar w/ Sabelt 6pts // SLOW Serious Metal SRT 14.2 front & Pursuit BR9 13.8 rear rotors, Carbotech pads, Russell lines // SHOW WebElectric, Hurst, Billet Tech, RiderGraphix, Performance Pedals
    Likes JAhmed liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    There is also g-loc, they have a wide range of compounds. Not cheap though. Good to see there are more options.

Search: Brake Pads - G-LOC Brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you very much for the info!!!Ended up ordering Carbotech XP10 for the front and XP8 for the rear...they are supposed to come in tomorrow. Will continue using Brembo HTC 64 fluid. Next track day coming up soon, so I will report back!

Post Thanks / Like
    Though I’d share here. The drilled/slotted powerstop rotors did not hold up on the track. There’s one good crack in the rotors and a much of tiny cracks all around the holes. Good thing I brought the blanks with me to the track. I was able to swap them out before I left.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, super embarrassing, ran out of fuel right as session was ending. I went out with a little over a quarter tank for a 20 minute session. Gas light never came on. I don’t think the computer works too well when you are getting 5 mpg!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKnucklePete View Post
    Though I’d share here. The drilled/slotted powerstop rotors did not hold up on the track. There’s one good crack in the rotors and a much of tiny cracks all around the holes. Good thing I brought the blanks with me to the track. I was able to swap them out before I left.
    Yea that is to be expected with drilled rotors, Along with that, I've never had good experience with power stop rotors, so I stay away from them. I've been running stoptech sport rotors on my stuff now with nothing but good feedback to give. Slotted only.

Post Thanks / Like
    Powerstop blank rotors have held up well for me thus far. Never use drilled rotors. J Hook rotors on previous Porsches worked well also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JAhmed View Post
    Powerstop blank rotors have held up well for me thus far. Never use drilled rotors. J Hook rotors on previous Porsches worked well also.
    You time yourself around autobahn at all? 3:05 was one of my quicker laps on Monday but the novice group was full of weird cars that really had no business being on the track creating conga lines in a lot of the sessions.
    Just curious, I feel like going under three minutes won’t be hard with my current set up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast