Thread: Mpg scat vs gt

Post Thanks / Like

Mpg scat vs gt

I was shocked as I filled up my sons gt charger tonight , his average is 16.7, granted it’s only city and he is 16 lol, but right now after 15k My scat Pack is at 17.1. I guess 4 cylinder mode actually does help or the 3.6 is a pig? It’s half the power lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums
    '19 Challenger Wide body Scat Pack B5; '19 Scat Pack F8 Green; '18 Audi SQ5 Daytona Grey; '18 Daytona 392; 16 Scat Pack Granite; '15 Durango R/T Blacktop; '14 Volvo S60R Rebel Blue; '12 Audi Q5; '10 Mustang; '08 BMW E90 M3; '07 BMW 335I Active Autowerks ...

Post Thanks / Like
    The 3.6 is a pig. I rented one back home and got worse mpg in the backwoods than I did in my SP here in DFW.

If you think about it, the smaller engine has to work a LOT harder to get these ships underway than the bigger engines do. So it makes sense that it's crap for mpg.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Likes Heat00 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher69 View Post
    The 3.6 is a pig. I rented one back home and got worse mpg in the backwoods than I did in my SP here in DFW.

If you think about it, the smaller engine has to work a LOT harder to get these ships underway than the bigger engines do. So it makes sense that it's crap for mpg.

Yea not only that but I noticed it doesn’t have the 4 cylinder mode or anything equivalent and my scat actually goes into that mode quite a bit especially when on the highway if not too fast. Just sucks as it thought it would be much better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Heat00 View Post
    Yea not only that but I noticed it doesn’t have the 4 cylinder mode or anything equivalent and my scat actually goes into that mode quite a bit especially when on the highway if not too fast. Just sucks as it thought it would be much better.

4cyl mode doesn't help as much as you'd think. Same trip, same car with MDS active I got 26 mpg... with MDS turned off with an email tune, long tubes, no cats I got 24.7mpg calculated both the old school way.

The 392 isn't even breathing hard getting our cars rolling. That poor little 3.6 is struggling to do the same job.

Think of, say, Steve Buscemi and Brock Lesnar trying to pick up 150lbs. each. Which one would do it with less effort?

That's the same as the V6 and the 392 moving one of our cars off the line.

Even at speed, let's say it takes 10hp to maintain 65mph. ( I literally made that up as an example- I make no claims to know how much HP it takes). If one engine makes 300hp, and another makes 485, that 10hp is a bigger drain on the smaller engine than the big one. It's obviously going to drink more gas.

Post Thanks / Like
    This morning I started my wife’s 2019 Charger GT. The computer showed 21.6 mpg. It is rush hour traffic hours for the most part. Her 2017 5.7L Challenger would typically be about 20 mpg.
    Terry

2005 Magnum RT load runner 2.6: Inertia Motorsports 419 Stroker, Predator Tune: 475rwhp & 465rwtq, Crower Cam, Kook's Headers, 3 inch "Custom" Exhaust, Tunable Induction Intake, NAG1-HTC Tranny, 3.55 Gears, 600hp DSS Half-Shafts, TrueFiber Challenger Hood, Enkei Wheels 18"x9", MT 28.00" / 12.00" x 18" radials on rear, Paneled Rear Side Windows, GoManGo Front Seats, Eibach Springs/Dampers, Wilwood Calipers, Rear Wiper Removed, Billet Technology enhancments.
    2019 Octane Red Charger GT
    1999 Plymouth Prowler (yellow) Prowler Pro #11
    2015 Charger Hellcat #0771

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea I got a feeling your son is dogging it. Is it AWD or RWD? The AWD definitely sucks gas in comparison. Here's the EPA comparison.

Compare Side-by-Side
    '18 Charger SP - Tech/Driver's/Beats Packages, WRT wheels - Tazer
    Previous:
    '17 Camaro 2SS A8
    Likes 392WLCHR, Heat00 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Must be his driving thankfully he didn’t get a scat pack lol. It’s rwd I think... I actually didn’t check but I’m in miami and Awd is more rare here. Going to check on that tho

Post Thanks / Like
    He could also be sitting with it running. That will cause the MPG to drop quickly. You should get one of those OBD data loggers. Then you would know all sorts of things

Post Thanks / Like
    Your only young once....Say No to datalogging the driving.....We live a life with enuf computers watching everything we do...IMO !

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
    He could also be sitting with it running. That will cause the MPG to drop quickly. You should get one of those OBD data loggers. Then you would know all sorts of things
    yea we stalk him enough on life 360 which also shows speed etc... that's already a fight in itself... when I was 16 I took the car and left and there was no such thing as a cell phone let alone an iphone with life 360 LOL...

Post Thanks / Like
    Just looked at the MPG at EPA.GOV and looks like the 2020 mileage is the same as 2019 except for Hellcat, it has dropped 1 MPG across the board to 12 city, 21 hwy and 15 combined. This will also cause the gas guzzler tax to increase from $1700 to $2100 for all 2020 Hellcats.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    2016 Challenger SRT 392, A8, Technology Group