Post Thanks / Like

Downshift instead of upshift

I almost always manually shift my 2019 SP. Sometimes I’ll hit the paddle to upshift and instead it downshifts. While this still doesn’t happen often it is becoming more common. Maybe once every other day. I could understand if I hit the paddle and it didn’t shift at all but what would be out of whack causing it to downshift? I’d take it to the dealer but I’d probably never be able to get it to repeat while it was there. Anyone else experience this? For the most part, I can’t narrow it down to any sort of conditions...car not warmed up, shifting at certain RPM, moderate vs. normal acceleration, etc. I keep the transmission in Sport mode. About the only thing I can say is that it is typically the 3-4 shift when it happens (I end up in second). I’ll also throw in that my fingers are not even on the downshift paddle when this happens so it’s not me!
    Last edited by Gasser76; 02-09-2020 at 11:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You're not the first to have that problem, so your dealership may know it happens. IIRC the others had the paddle/ switch replaced and maybe an update. Problem was solved.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, its a common problem that many people are facing. I use my paddle shifters extensively, like yourself. I hear some people fix it by swapping out the paddles with 'new ones' but being that your car is a 2019, looks like nothing has changed in the switches.
    I've found, like others, that it's more likely to be reproduced if you pull the paddle back slow and soft, I can usually make it happen every time on 3->4 low rpm...

My only theory to fix this issue is to take the resistance the switch produces while switched, and increase/decrease the resistance, opposite of what the downshift one is, to have a higher resistance spread between the two.
    Likes diboblo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! Good to know that it’s not just me. I had seen comments about missed shifts but did not see anything about downshifts so I apologize if this has been discussed before.

I like your theory AllenSunnyD. That at least makes sense to me as to how it could happen. In my mind it’s a simple switch that does/controls one thing so how could it sometimes do something else but that would be a possible explanation. I have to stop thinking like there is a direct linkage between things anymore and start thinking about ECUs!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Take a look over at this forum. I recall reading this way back. It even shows an FCA bulletin explaining you have to hold the paddle for one second.
    (Up shift)+ Paddle = Downshift... Solved? | Charger Forums

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasser76 View Post
    I almost always manually shift my 2019 SP. Sometimes I’ll hit the paddle to upshift and instead it downshifts. While this still doesn’t happen often it is becoming more common. Maybe once every other day. I could understand if I hit the paddle and it didn’t shift at all but what would be out of whack causing it to downshift? I’d take it to the dealer but I’d probably never be able to get it to repeat while it was there. Anyone else experience this? For the most part, I can’t narrow it down to any sort of conditions...car not warmed up, shifting at certain RPM, moderate vs. normal acceleration, etc. I keep the transmission in Sport mode. About the only thing I can say is that it is typically the 3-4 shift when it happens (I end up in second). I’ll also throw in that my fingers are not even on the downshift paddle when this happens so it’s not me!
    Yep, happened to me. Car doesn't drive the same anymore.

Can't wait til my lease is up.
    | www.AdWhois.com |
    Epic Dodge 100th Anniversary Commercial
    ... ... ...
    '18 Charger Scat Pack - Billet Silver | '15 Challenger RT Plus - Granite (Sold) | '13 Charger RT Plus - Pitch Black (Sold) | '12 Ford Focus Titanium - Silver (Sold) | '03 Mitsu Montero - Somekinda Blue (Sold)

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if the issue ever occurs using the actual shifter in the manual gate.
    '18 Charger SP - Tech/Driver's/Beats Packages, WRT wheels - Tazer
    Previous:
    '17 Camaro 2SS A8

Post Thanks / Like
    I fixed a SRT8 Jeep that did that every time. On the scan tool showed when I pressed the upshift paddle the down shift paddle show the move. I replace the upshift paddle -fixed vehicle. Works on difference of resistance of each switch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenSunnyD View Post
    Yea, its a common problem that many people are facing. I use my paddle shifters extensively, like yourself. I hear some people fix it by swapping out the paddles with 'new ones' but being that your car is a 2019, looks like nothing has changed in the switches.
    I've found, like others, that it's more likely to be reproduced if you pull the paddle back slow and soft, I can usually make it happen every time on 3->4 low rpm...

My only theory to fix this issue is to take the resistance the switch produces while switched, and increase/decrease the resistance, opposite of what the downshift one is, to have a higher resistance spread between the two.
    Yeah... over on a Hellcat forum, I was thinking out loud that the up and down resistance needs to be greater, between the two paddles.

It works on an MUX circuit, which is an analog comparator that runs on one of the BUS networks.

I never use the paddles, in my HC Charger... but if I did, and I had this issue, I'd open them up and install higher and lower value resistors, to try to mitigate the problem.

Just my .02.

Bob
    LuX Technologies - Custom Interior Light Mods for Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep Platforms [LX/LC/WK]
    I spend my time modding your lights and developing new products, not being your FaceBook friend.

http://www.luxte.ch
    Lux Technologies

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by diboblo View Post
    Yeah... over on a Hellcat forum, I was thinking out loud that the up and down resistance needs to be greater, between the two paddles.

It works on an MUX circuit, which is an analog comparator that runs on one of the BUS networks.

I never use the paddles, in my HC Charger... but if I did, and I had this issue, I'd open them up and install higher and lower value resistors, to try to mitigate the problem.

Just my .02.

Bob
    LuX Technologies - Custom Interior Light Mods for Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep Platforms [LX/LC/WK]
    I have no idea how the paddles work. The FCA publication shown in message #5 states it's how long you press the paddle that makes a difference, which seems like an unusual method. Resistance makes more sense, but has anyone ever changed the resistance?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have yet to use the paddles on my SP. I guess I need to give it a try. IMO the tranny in sport mode practically reads my mind.