Post Thanks / Like

Set steering wheel and airbag question

What's up guys. I just bought an SRT wheel and went through the entire process of taking off my wheel and swapping it. So I bought a wheel in great condition and everything looked good until I went to plug in the connector for the horn I believe it is. The connector on the new wheel had a rectangle shape to it whereas the airbag from my old wheel has a square connector. Now I have ordered a new light up airbag thinking that that was the reason for the difference. My question is will this airbag work? If you look in the pictures the new airbag has a blue clip where my airbags black square clip is. I paid a lot more then I originally thought I was going to to get this wheel to work. I read a few different threads on diff sites and watched a few YouTube videos on it before I ordered the wheel and thought I was going to be able to reuse the original airbag. That didn't happen so plan b was buying a used airbag but then I thought about it and not wanting to throw safety to the wind and only finding red back lit ones I reluctantly bought this new one. The upside is I wound up getting the white back lit airbag from I believe the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT red vapor edition I think. You guys would probably know better which one came with the white back light but the website I got this from said it was the red vapor edition that had this from the factory. The reason why as some of you have seen on my thread is I changed the entire interior to black and blue and didn't want a red light on my wheel. Wanted to keep the theme coordinated. My question is is this the correct airbag for the new wheel? Fingers crossed it is. First pic is the new airbag with the blue clip. Second pic is there connector on the SRT wheel.

Sent from my G9 PRO using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 485392; 12-14-2019 at 01:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Set steering wheel and airbag question

You will need a new wiring harness to connect to the blue cable part number 68357494AA

It will be around $50 depending on where u get it.

This is the cable I had to get for my white backlit SRT airbag. (This works with the white or red backlit logo)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks 485392 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertsDP View Post
    You will need a new wiring harness to connect to the blue cable part number 68357494AA

It will be around $50 depending on where u get it.

This is the cable I had to get for my white backlit SRT airbag. (This works with the white or red backlit logo)

Isn't the harness that is in the wheel with the rectangle clip the same as the one you posted I posted a pic of the clip I'm talking about. My original wheel and airbag had a square clip and that didn't work so I figured that the difference between the regular airbag and the light up one was that the clip is the difference. Reason I bought the airbag to begin with. Was I wrong about that? thank you for the info and if I need to, i will get it but I already spent more than I thought I was going to. My wife is already letting me know that a handbag with "'L's" and a "V's" better be under the tree thanks to this debacle lol Just wondering because I never did a swap before so I was under the impression it is plug and play. Obviously not in my case lol and it's probably costing me more than what every one else is going to pay for it with that handbag included. Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe cause it’s late or I misread your original post but because you posted on this I assumed you tested and failed on connecting the SRT backlit airbag and SRT Wheel, but here is how my swap worked out to be.

The original 392 harness that plugs into the original 392 airbag is a smaller size and shape than the backlit SRTs plug.
    When I swapped the SRT wheel in, the 392 airbag itself didn’t fit properly into the SRT wheel.
    So I went and purchased the SRT airbag to match the SRT wheel, and also picked the backlit type.
    In order for the backlit one to work for me was is needed to have the previously mentioned harness.
    I’m not sure what harness came with your SRT wheel, but if it probably was the non illuminating version.
    From the pic you provided, it doesn’t appear to be the same. As yours is wrapped in black tape where the illuminated one is in yellow (mine was black originally the new one was yellow). The only difference from the 2 from what I remember is the plug going into the airbag, which had a slightly different connector.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertsDP View Post
    Maybe cause it’s late or I misread your original post but because you posted on this I assumed you tested and failed on connecting the SRT backlit airbag and SRT Wheel, but here is how my swap worked out to be.

The original 392 harness that plugs into the original 392 airbag is a smaller size and shape than the backlit SRTs plug.
    When I swapped the SRT wheel in, the 392 airbag itself didn’t fit properly into the SRT wheel.
    So I went and purchased the SRT airbag to match the SRT wheel, and also picked the backlit type.
    In order for the backlit one to work for me was is needed to have the previously mentioned harness.
    I’m not sure what harness came with your SRT wheel, but if it probably was the non illuminating version.
    From the pic you provided, it doesn’t appear to be the same. As yours is wrapped in black tape where the illuminated one is in yellow (mine was black originally the new one was yellow). The only difference from the 2 from what I remember is the plug going into the airbag, which had a slightly different connector.

I am sorry if I wasn't being clear. I purchased the SRT steering wheel but I couldn't install it due to the fact that the connector plug for my SP airbag was a little bit smaller and (square) than the connector that came out of the SRT wheel. The best way I can describe it is the SP airbag had a connector that was small and square. The SRT wheel that I purchased has a connector that is wider and rectangle shaped. The orig airbag was not going to connect to the SRT wheel because of this. All other plugs for the color coded airbag ones were fine, the plugs that go into the clock spring were perfect as well. The only plug that didn't match up was the one that looks like it goes for the horn. As I said it was small and square on the orig SP airbag but on the wheel the piece that plugs into that was wider and rectangle shaped. I am sorry if I wasn't clear about installing the wheel. Once I saw that the connector wasn't going to fit into the airbag I immediately stopped and reinstalled my orig SP wheel, went on the computer and started to research the airbags and saw that the back lit one had a plug in the back of it that looked similar to the plug in the SRT wheel. I took a gamble thinking that if my airbag didn't fit the wheel it must be because this SRT wheel had a backlit airbag originally. I posted here because i know you guys all know these cars inside out and upside down. I appreciate everyones opion and value the knowledge on here. I'm hoping that the gamble I took was worth it because like I said I'm already in hot water with my better half and I don't need or want to explain how this was all for nothing. I should be receiving the airbag sometime next week. I was just wondering if I could find the answer from you guys on here , before then so I'm not anticipating all week and then it comes and it's not correct and doesn't fit again. Thank you for the info on the wiring harness I really appreciate it. If all else fails that will be the next piece of the puzzle I purchase in the saga of the SRT wheel.Set steering wheel and airbag question

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a picture of my original SP steering wheel. The connector I am talking about is the one above the yellow wires it has a blue wire showing. It is square shaped The second picture is the SRT wheel that connector is wider. The 3rd pic is the backlit SRT airbag with the blue connector that I'm hoping fits the connector I'm holding in my hand in the picture.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is right up @diboblo ‘s alley lol..

Post Thanks / Like
    PM sent....but like RobertsDP said, I know for a fact that the yellow harness he mentioned works with the back lit airbag.

The connector you have in your SRT wheel looks like it "could/should" work, since it is 4 wire too--which the back lit air bag connector needs--but on the SRT Charger/Challenger wheels I've seen...they all had a yellow wrapped harness fwiw.

What year/model is the steering wheel from btw?

EDIT: Oh, and your OEM airbag would've fit the SRT wheel no problem btw. All you needed was just a $30-40 harness to plug into your stock airbag. Part number: 68224082AA to be exact
    The back lit one is cool, don't get me wrong, but you obviously went down the rabbit hole with this mod LOL
    Last edited by snobrdrdan; 12-14-2019 at 04:34 AM.
    2019 Charger Scat Pack
    Thanks 485392 thanked for this post
    Likes 485392 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
    PM sent....but like RobertsDP said, I know for a fact that the yellow harness he mentioned works with the back lit airbag.

The connector you have in your SRT wheel looks like it "could/should" work, since it is 4 wire too--which the back lit air bag connector needs--but on the SRT Charger/Challenger wheels I've seen...they all had a yellow wrapped harness fwiw.

What year/model is the steering wheel from btw?

EDIT: Oh, and your OEM airbag would've fit the SRT wheel no problem btw. All you needed was just a $30-40 harness to plug into your stock airbag. Part number: 68224082AA to be exact
    The back lit one is cool, don't get me wrong, but you obviously went down the rabbit hole with this mod LOL
    Yes I definitely did fall down the rabbit hole lol. The wheel is out of a 2018 Challenger hellcat according to the seller so maybe they put black harnesses in from 18 on. I know my SP is a 19 and that harness is black as well. I guess I'll find out when I get the airbag and try the installation again. The only part of it I'm dreading is taking off the airbag from the wheel on the car, What a pain. But if it all comes together then in my mind it was all worth it lol. Thank you again for your help and the part number.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well thank you everyone who has helped me in this. I was pleasantly surprised today when my doorbell rang and it was the airbag. Didn't think I was going to get it so fast. The wire harness in the wheel I purchased had the correct connector in it for this airbag and it looks amazing!!! I can't thank you guys enough for all your help. I'm so relieved now that it's done. Set steering wheel and airbag questionSet steering wheel and airbag questionSet steering wheel and airbag questionSet steering wheel and airbag question

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 485392 View Post
    Well thank you everyone who has helped me in this. I was pleasantly surprised today when my doorbell rang and it was the airbag. Didn't think I was going to get it so fast. The wire harness in the wheel I purchased had the correct connector in it for this airbag and it looks amazing!!! I can't thank you guys enough for all your help. I'm so relieved now that it's done. Set steering wheel and airbag questionSet steering wheel and airbag questionSet steering wheel and airbag questionSet steering wheel and airbag question

Nice! Looks like you got one of the wheels with the correct harness!
    Looks good!