Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a good idea, xpel makes a THICK (I know cause I use them on my headlights) tint, you could smoke or black out the center, or the whole thing. It comes pre cut and ready to apply with instructions and the little squeegee at least when I bought them for my headlights and fogs

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimagic5 View Post
    That's a good idea, xpel makes a THICK (I know cause I use them on my headlights) tint, you could smoke or black out the center, or the whole thing. It comes pre cut and ready to apply with instructions and the little squeegee at least when I bought them for my headlights and fogs
    here's the one I ordered... BUT, now that I looked closely the area it's sticking to is supposed to be clean and SMOOTH which it's not LOL... so now I worry that it won't look right or stick right or still show the damage... well, that's my first attempt to fix... otherwise I just found that piece on ebay for 269 and it seems as though it was taken off another car fairly new, but then it opens up other potential issues like lights not working right etc.. plus I'm not sure how to install something like that ... I did just find the chrome letters so that'll be 2nd fix if the tint doesn't look right or work, i'll just stick the letters back on and it should hide it enough at least for now... this is unreal...
    '19 Challenger Wide body Scat Pack B5; '19 Scat Pack F8 Green; '18 Audi SQ5 Daytona Grey; '18 Daytona 392; 16 Scat Pack Granite; '15 Durango R/T Blacktop; '14 Volvo S60R Rebel Blue; '12 Audi Q5; '10 Mustang; '08 BMW E90 M3; '07 BMW 335I Active Autowerks ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Luxe Auto Concepts: 404 not found is the one I got... you think it will work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Heat00 View Post
    Luxe Auto Concepts: 404 not found is the one I got... you think it will work?
    Link broke but I looked it up, that looks right... I wouldn't worry greatly about it not being flat as long as you apply it properly and press hard enough to get it to stick but not break the plastic (if the cracks are that bad)
    Likes Heat00 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    looks like the best solution is this, just cover the whole area as it seems cracked and/or scratched... guess I'll just get the center overlay kit and hopefully I don't screw up the install LOL....might look better anyhow as it blacks out the white reverse lights at the same time.... I don't think it's illegal is it? don't need any extra reasons for him to get a ticket or pulled over LOL.... the light still shines through I believe, even the dark gloss one, which looks like the best match I would assume?2015+ Charger Tail Light Tint Kit - Type 2 (Center Overlay)
    I bought that on Wednesday. Hopefully it gets here this weekend so I can install it. How did those cracks happen? Was it from taking the letters off?
    I was going to just hit the letters with my heat gun and use some fishing line. I hope mine come off better!
    Definitely with any vinyl the area will need to be smooth so you are gonna need to sand it down/smooth it out or it will look like crap. Also make sure the area is super clean when u apply it because even the tiniest bits of contamination show through the vinyl. At least that’s how it was with the Avery stuff I used on the hood and roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Heat00 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Link broke but I looked it up, that looks right... I wouldn't worry greatly about it not being flat as long as you apply it properly and press hard enough to get it to stick but not break the plastic (if the cracks are that bad)
    this is the hope LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKnucklePete View Post
    I bought that on Wednesday. Hopefully it gets here this weekend so I can install it. How did those cracks happen? Was it from taking the letters off?I was going to just hit the letters with my heat gun and use some fishing line. I hope mine come off better! Definitely with any vinyl the area will need to be smooth so you are gonna need to sand it down/smooth it out or it will look like crap. Also make sure the area is super clean when u apply it because even the tiniest bits of contamination show through the vinyl. At least that’s how it was with the Avery stuff I used on the hood and roof.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    no you should be good to go.. that's exactly how I did my other 3 chargers and my current challenger... I don't know why or how these cracked but this is my sons charger that I bought slightly used (7 months old) so I'm thinking who knows maybe this car sat out in the sun or somehow got neglected ... it's really upsetting but in any case on all my other cars (when they were fairly new) I did exactly that. heat gun for a few seconds, fishing line, then the sticky remover spray usually gets any remaining debris off easily.... how should I sand or smooth that area first with what? I think I have some really fine sandpaper just worried I'll scratch it and make is worse and then in the tint doesn't come out right then bigger problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely with any vinyl the area will need to be smooth so you are gonna need to sand it down/smooth it out or it will look like crap. Also make sure the area is super clean when u apply it because even the tiniest bits of contamination show through the vinyl. At least that’s how it was with the Avery stuff I used on the hood and roof.

Usually the head or tail tint, at least the stuff I had got before, was like 2mm thick at least, it's not typical vinyl tint. Might not be as bad

Post Thanks / Like
    no you should be good to go.. that's exactly how I did my other 3 chargers and my current challenger... I don't know why or how these cracked but this is my sons charger that I bought slightly used (7 months old) so I'm thinking who knows maybe this car sat out in the sun or somehow got neglected ... it's really upsetting but in any case on all my other cars (when they were fairly new) I did exactly that. heat gun for a few seconds, fishing line, then the sticky remover spray usually gets any remaining debris off easily.... how should I sand or smooth that area first with what? I think I have some really fine sandpaper just worried I'll scratch it and make is worse and then in the tint doesn't come out right then bigger problem?
    Not sure on beat technique for smoothing it out but fine grit sandpaper should do it. Maybe see iff there is any excess vinyl in the kit and cover a cracked area before you do anything drastic and see how it looks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure on beat technique for smoothing it out but fine grit sandpaper should do it. Maybe see iff there is any excess vinyl in the kit and cover a cracked area before you do anything drastic and see how it looks.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    not a bad idea actually, thank you. I think I have some left over from a previous car and maybe i'll cover one letter to see how it looks/holds.... otherwise I think when the letters get here I'll just stick them back on and call it a day if this tint kit doesn't do the trick... so strange to have this problem as I've done this on 4 cars so far, 3 chargers and 1 challenger... and with no such issue lol... luckily this is my son's (first) car and I'm sure it's going to get beat up some anyhow... LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    as always, thank you all for taking the time to help and provide suggestions... much appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    delete
    Last edited by MXS67454; 11-29-2019 at 10:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just took my dodge letters off for when the tail tint comes. Thankfully they come off super easy. Really weird that yours had that problem. Definitely seems like the age of the car made the difference. Plastic just got brittle I guess.
    I went ahead and took the Hemi off under the 392. That was on there better but came off without too much of a hassle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just took my dodge letters off for when the tail tint comes
    Which shade did you get?

In 4 pics too, please
    2019 Charger Scat Pack

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe it was dark/smoke. It should arrive tomorrow. I’ll post pics assuming I have time to put it on.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast