Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Erratic Idle

Post Thanks / Like

Erratic Idle

So I'm sure we're all familiar with the nice grunt/bark of a remote or cold start on a (newer) 5.7 or a 6.4 with the active exhaust.
    It starts up at like 1,200-1,500 RPM with a nice bark and then slowly settles down to idle.

This was always consistent on my '18 5.7 and WAS on my '19 6.4. Then it started getting erratic all of a sudden (like 2 weeks ago).
    It'll start at like 1,000 RPM, then go up 1,200 and then up and down a few times until it settles down to ~700 or whatever. It does not sound that great anymore....just seems weird. It's surging/fluctuating essentially until it settles down to idle.

I unhooked the battery, while I was messing around with the steering wheel, and thought maybe everything would reset....but nope, it's back to the same fluctuating ways.

Is this just normal?

(no mods except the Hellcat intake, btw)
    And, ironically, this was post #392

VIDEO: 2019 Dodge Charger Scat Pack Remote Start - Weird Idle - YouTube

Last edited by snobrdrdan; 09-28-2019 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Videdo added
    2019 Charger Scat Pack

Post Thanks / Like
    Was this happening before your Hellcat intake install?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    2017 Challenger Scat Pack 6spd Torred. Mods: Mids and Resonators Delete, Dual Quad Tips, Windows Tinted, Hellcat Airbox, Fastman Throttlebody, H&R Lowering Springs, Barton Shifter w/Mr. Norms Pistol Grip, Per4mance Dev. IRS Differential Brace, Z Automotive Tazer, Speedlogix Front and Rear Strut Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Swaybars, Spohn Swaybar Endlinks, Downforce Solutions Front Half Splitters and Wickerbill, Diablo T2 EX Tuner w/unlocked PCM, Jay Greene Tune.

Post Thanks / Like
    No, but then again the car only had like 140 miles on it when I installed it.

And it didn't do it after the install either (which was 2 months ago and 1,000 miles ago)...it just started happening, and I'm at like 1,250 miles now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine will go up and down on occasion. With everything the computer is monitoring I'm certain there is a reason. I wouldn't read to much into it.

2016 Charger Scat Pack/LMI Intake/Hemifever tune/3.70 gears/Borla Atak/AES bypass/eBay longtube headers
    2016 Charger Scat Pack/LMI Intake/3.70 gears/Longtube headers/Borla Atak/Active exhaust delete/Hemifever Tuning
    Likes punisher69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My 19 also does this on a rare occasion.

Post Thanks / Like
    I added a video to the 1st post from today.
    I'm assuming at the ~24 second mark is the exhaust flaps closing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds normal to me.

2016 Charger Scat Pack/LMI Intake/Hemifever tune/3.70 gears/Borla Atak/AES bypass/eBay longtube headers

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds normal to me.
    2017 Redline Red ​T/A 392 Automatic

Post Thanks / Like
    Tough to tell on the video , but I don’t really hear any abnormalities:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    16’ charger Scatpack
    Forged 392 based 426 stroker, Arrington phase four Apache heads, custom grind cam , ported and matched 6.1 manifold, long tube headers , solo performance cutback ,ati pulley and pinned crank , custom cai , Tba diff brace with 3.70’s out back and 30” et r’s

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea definitely sounds normal only thing I could come up with is compressor clutch coming on will alter your idle rpm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Normal sounding; likely transitioning from open to closed loop.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Normal to me.
    2019 Charger R/T Scat Pack Plus, White Knuckle, Nappa / Alcantara® Seats, Plus Group, Navigation, Sunroof, Low Gloss Forged Alum Wheels, Red Brake Calipers
    Likes Blokhead liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I guess it's normal then?

I was just used to LOUD bark and then slowly drops to idle...which I've seen/heard on every other 392 or Hellcat.

This one (now): it goes MEDIUM bark at cold start, slight dip/stumble in RPM for a second, and then a quick rise in RPM and then slowly drops to idle from there

It dipped/stumbled at 7 seconds in the video I posted, btw.
    Last edited by snobrdrdan; 10-04-2019 at 05:10 AM.

HWDan is offline 2005 Magnum RT amd 2017 Charger SRT 392!
    Post Thanks / Like
    At cold start, mine starts bouncing for a few seconds up and down between 1200 and 1500, then settles to 1200, then the valves close and settles to 1100, then 1000.

So normal then. I thought too that at least the bouncing part seemed weird. I sure wish we could pull up a digital tach like on the older EVIC's. Not that it matters but I like seeing numbers at times.
    Hot Wheel Dan

2005 Magnum RT and 2017 Charger SRT Maximum Steel!
    Thanks snobrdrdan thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HWDan View Post
    At cold start, mine starts bouncing for a few seconds up and down between 1200 and 1500, then settles to 1200, then the valves close and settles to 1100, then 1000.

So normal then. I thought too that at least the bouncing part seemed weird. I sure wish we could pull up a digital tach like on the older EVIC's. Not that it matters but I like seeing numbers at times.
    It won't load quick enough on cold start, but you can see digital RPM in Performance Pages I believe. Forget which section.

Could also use an app like Torque with a OBD dongle.
    '18 Charger SP - Tech/Driver's/Beats Packages, WRT wheels - Tazer
    Previous:
    '17 Camaro 2SS A8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast