Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What did you drive before your current car? What's your story?

I searched around and didn't really see much similar, so let me ask; what car did you own before your Charger and what is your car past?

To be really honest, up until not too long ago I absolutely hated the Charger and the potential of owning one wasn't even on the table. With the exception of my (ex-) wife's Expeditions, it's probably been 30 years since I've owned an "American" car/truck.

For the longest time I was in the DSM scene and owned a decently modified turbo Eclipse. Along with that, I owned an Xterra and an Expedition for kid toting/race towing duty.
    Somewhere along the line I caught the Miata bug and picked up a 'mechanics special' 99 Miata which ended up being a super blast to drive. I got it for a steal and after patching up the minor issues from the previous owner, I re-did the entire suspension, added a roll-bar and new wheels and tires and just had fun. Somewhere along the line around 2013~2014, I felt the need to 'grow up' and get a proper 'adult' car. I've got kids, so I wanted a sedan, but the car guy in me wanted something sporty with a set of balls.

So I started car shopping. I looked and looked and nothing ever really caught my eye. I came close to buying a 14 Caddy ATS 2.0T with super low miles, but passed when I realized how badly they depreciated in value and how small they really are. Then one day I saw a Hyundai Genesis sedan on the road and fell in love with it. When I found out that there was a 430hp V-8 available, I was hooked. After a few months of heavy searching, I picked up a 2012 Genesis 5.0 with super low miles at a price that I would be stupid to pass on. Over the next year and a half, I drove the sh*t out of the Genesis and racked up a bunch of miles.

For a full-sized sedan, the Genesis is surprisingly fast and the perfect sleeper. While I don't condone street racing, the Genesis will hold it's own against a good number of cars and it had it's fair share of Camaro's, R/T's and Mustangs under it's belt. So this is where the Charger comes into play...

I had been contemplating a newer car since the Genesis was getting up there in mileage. (85+ mile daily work commute at the time). My search criteria was 2015+ V-8 Sedans with over 400hp and under $40k.

I was riding home one night and a 6.4 Charger rolled up beside me on the freeway. I wasn't too familiar with them and while the Genesis was no slouch at 75+, this guy walked away from me and sounded amazing in the process. Long story short, I did a metric sh*t ton of interwebs searching and got narrowed down to the Chevy SS or a Scat Pack. I looked at SRT's but really didn't want all of the extra features that they have.. I liked the relative 'simplicity' of the Scat Pack. I drove the SS about a half dozen times and while I liked it, It just wasn't doing it for me. The Scat on the other hand, was another story. The more than I looked at them, the more I liked them.

Then by dumb luck, my girlfriend and I were down in Orlando for a weekend getaway and I happened across an ad on Autotrader for the exact Scat Pack that I was looking for, at a dealership that was only 5 miles from our hotel. We went there, I test drove it and that was all she wrote. I was in love. I made the deal and drove the car home that day.
    Every day that I drive this car, I love it more and more. It's got the perfect amount of power, the accessories that I want and looks amazing.

Edit: added a few pics of my previous cars.

My 1998 LS400 which has been a long-time family member; 223K+ and still going strong.

My 2012 Genesis 5.0 which I traded for the Scat:

98 Eclipse that I owned forever

and spent most of it's later years like this:

My Miata:

And one that I really miss and had a blast with, a Saturn SC2 that we turbocharged. On a set of drag radials or ET Streets and 5~7psi, this car was a beast. It never really ET'd well but it would make up for it on the back-end of the track.

Last edited by PaulMc; 06-10-2019 at 03:16 PM.
    Paul
    16 Charger Scat Pack
    HC airbox/tube, catch can, 19 grille, Vertini RF 1.3 20x10/20x11, Tazer

Likes calcruz31, BorisGT, punisher69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm an old DSMer. I've owned several Eclipses, and a Eagle Talon. It was a 91 TSI AWD with a top mounted GT42 turbo,twin external gates, AEM ecu... etc,etc. The made 700whp on 40psi. Outside of that, I also owned several Camaro's. 77,85 and an 02 SS, which I turbocharged with a built 6.2 LS motor. After I sold my Camaro, I purchased an 2014 Maxima. Great car, but I quickly became bored and wanted more. Im not Ford fan, and the new Camaros are too cramped on the inside. So I opted for an 2016 Blacktop Challenger RT.
    You could say I settled because I tried for a Scat, but couldn't swing the payments. I immediately regretted my decision. Why you ask? I wanted the Scat. But I also fell in love with the Scat Charger. The body lines,front end. Was just way more aggressive. So I paid down my RT over the course of two years. My GF at the time, which is now my Fiancee started to help me look for a Scat Charger. She came across mine and on Black Friday of last year, I made the leap. I was a little hesitant at first. Because my Challenger was fully loaded. I didn't want to give up my leather ,heated and vented seats. But after driving my now Charger. All that faded and I was instantly back in love with the 392. So here I am with an awesome Go Mango Scat Charger.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Likes calcruz31, BorisGT liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I always liked the Chargers but never thought I would buy one....
    I used to live in Europe for school for about 6 years (Bachelors and Masters) There I had a 07 Dodge Caliber (i was an American In Europe... I had to represent, lol... it was a POS) and and a Porsche Boxster. Gas was f**king expensive at the time, about double the US prices... hence the 4 bangers. Well I got use to gas being a major part of budgeting for a car.
    So when I moved back to the states and got a job I wanted something with decent gas mileage but also some power, so I got a 2014 300S v6 (nicknamed her Sparta) I loved it. Well this last year I moved to GA because of a new job and my budget and desire to have a faster car grew significantly.... gas prices were no longer a huge priority.
    I wasn’t in a rush to find my Charger, I called a few places and drove a few for test drives, but I couldn’t find one with the all options I wanted.
    It just so happened, I was planning a trip to DC to visit fam and I just happened to find a dealer there that checked all the boxes with a Charger I liked. I called and talked to the guy, and then had my brother who lives in DC to check it out for me. He’s a gear head and would know what to look for in a used car. (2018 Daytona 392 w/ 3000 miles) He reported back and said it was pristine! I told the sales guy I want it, gave him my CC# to put a deposit down on the car, and the next weekend I drove down and got it.
    The car is fully loaded with the exception of the adaptive suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes PaRtY_StArTeR, calcruz31, BorisGT liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    nice thread, love it!

I always liked sedans. Before I moved to US because of my job, I had Ford Scorpio Ford Scorpio - Wikipedia. It was huge and comfy, quite powerful for an European car.

When I got to the US, I wanted to try coupe and got 2000 Toyota Solara, 4 cylinders but I loved that car. Really wanted Eclipse or Accord Coupe but they were out of my budget at that time. I kept it for 7 years and got 2010 Acura TL. Funny thing, when I first saw TL of that generation I thought it was ugly as @#$ but then I got it and liked it for comfort and size. I hated controls (too many buttons) and while it was pretty snappy, it just did not drive well and I could hear that V6.

In Jan 2018, I started researching my new car and it took me an year to decide. Initially, I was going to get either a pre-owned 2018 440i with MPPSK (M Performance power and exhaust package), 2017 540i, 2016 CLS550 or 2017 C63 AMG. I wanted a fun fast car, with a nice exhaust and 4 doors. Really liked how 440i drives and sounds with MPPSK package but it was too small for me. 540i was boring for me. CLS - could not get over how the rear of CLS looks and new one was about to come out. C63 was my first choice but was too small. M3's exhaust is a joke so i did not even consider it (unless you get one with competition package).

American cars were not even on my radar, while I always liked how Chargers, Camaros and Mustangs looked (and of course Corvettes).

And then I test drove Scat Pack and the rest is history! The start-up sound, the drive, the look of the car, the hood, the mean angry look, unhappy rumble - I knew I had to get one. And destroyer grey color with stripes was an icing on a cake.

I hated interior at first but I grew quickly on me - I like how functional everything is, love entertainment system and then again exhaust and engine ...
    2019 Charger Scat Pack Destroyer Grey, Dynamics Package, Plus Group, Dual Carbon Stripe
    Likes PaRtY_StArTeR, calcruz31 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mustangs. I’ve had a lot of them over the years and one day I drove by the dodge dealership and saw a bright green scat pack. I kept thinking about how nice the car looked and I decided to test drive it. Loved everything about it so I decided to get it.
    Likes calcruz31 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I had Cadillac’s high school and after night school. Once I turned 19 I got my first stang. 92 5.0. Then I got a 94 convertible GT. Then I got a 2001 GT. Then a 2001 stage 3 Roush and my 5th and last stang was a 04 cobra

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums
    Likes BorisGT, calcruz31 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I had 3 Mazdas in a row, all sedans and a Toyota pickup before that.

Primarily in sales the past 23 years 4-6 cylinder 22-28 mpg was most pragmatic.

Had been itching for some horsepower for years, but having a young family and then dropping for a new '14 Ram 3500 and 38 ft 5th wheel in 2014, my need for speed was put on hold.

I've been a fan of cars and racing forever. Went to a number of NASCAR races across the country and followed CART, Indy, and Grand Prix since I was a kid.

Four years ago, for Father's Day, my wife bought me 3 laps on an autocross course at the Portland International Raceway in a Lamborghini Gallardo...well, I was hooked. It didn't help that the instructor noted that I took corners well and suggested I "need to have a racecar"!

Bottomline, I wasn't going to add another car payment to the truck and trailer payments until I absolutely had to, but my Mazda6 started showing signs after an accident and 10 years on the road, so I started researching Chargers a year ago. Looked at Challengers, but with a family needed 4 doors.

Settled on the Scat Pack after figuring out the SRT was just a more expensive SP with a small number of differences, although nice, unnecessary for me. An HC is just not sales friendly so was happy to discover the SP was for me!

For whatever reason I found Hellcats, SRTs and RTs, but not SPs here in Oregon. After a thorough focused search for 4 months, found 3 in the state of Washington in April and bought mine online from a dealer in Spokane. I had it shipped to Seattle and picked it up there after a business meeting.

While not advisable to buy out of state, I'm very happy with my ride!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Likes BorisGT, PaRtY_StArTeR liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on how far back you go....

2010 5.7 HEMI Challenger R/T with 3 pedals
    2014 2.0 Turbo Cadillac ATS

Before that..
    I had 4 Monte Carlo SS's - 3 notch backs and 1 Aero Coupe

82 Corvette

69 Chevelle SS 396

65 Chevy Impala SS 396

72 Chevelle

59 Impala

40 Austin - 389 Tri Power Project car

OBTW - I actually found this car again via Facebook. The last I heard it is sitting in a guys garage in Fl.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Last edited by hemi_57; 06-09-2019 at 09:38 PM.
    2017 Granite Crystal Scat Pack
    My Scat Pack Web Site
    Likes BorisGT, ronan978, calcruz31 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

What did you drive before your current car? What's your story?

Let’s see ......
    87 gti 16v
    89 gti 16v
    94 Passat 16v
    97 Passat wagon vr6
    89 Sho
    91 Sho
    97 integra
    87 mustang 5.0
    87 rx7 turbo 2(red)
    87 rx7 turbo 2 (black)
    89 rx7 turbo 2 (black) [email protected] 118(in the 90’s when LI had a drag strip)
    87 scirocco 16v - [email protected] 113(in the 90’s as well)
    3 87-92 Jeep Cherokees
    87 yj wrangler 9” SOA 36”MT thornbirds
    77 bronco 351 Cleveland(not Windsor)
    97 Jetta vr6
    03 gti vr6 24v
    03 Hyundai xg350l
    10 wrx
    11 Sonata turbo(11mo this blew the turbo twice-garbage)
    13 ram 5.7 fbo
    13 jgc
    16 Charger scatpack (426)
    19 Durango 5.7 rt
    Probably about 15 -20 more either not worth listing or I just can’t remember

Last edited by ronan978; 06-07-2019 at 11:43 PM.
    Likes BorisGT, calcruz31, hemi_57, punisher69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hemi_57 View Post
    Depends on how far back you go....

2010 5.7 HEMI Challenger R/T with 3 pedals
    2014 2.0 Turbo Cadillac ATS

Before that..
    I had 4 Monte Carlo SS's - 3 notch backs and 1 Aero Coupe

82 Corvette

69 Chevelle SS 396

65 Chevy Impala SS 396

72 Chevelle

59 Impala

40 Austin - 389 Tri Power Project car

OBTW - I actually for this car via Facebook. Last I heard it is sitting in a guys garage in Fl.

Sent via Tapatalk
    How do I say this nicely ...... F|_|CK you’re old !!!!! Just playing man , that’s some experience you’ve had !!! Glad to see you’ve been enjoying your time after fighting for the freedom we all enjoy !! Hell of a collection you’ve had !! And thank you What did you drive before your current car? What's your story?

Post Thanks / Like
    In NC, I had 8 cars in my yard, tagged and insured at one time. The list is waaaay too long. I've had everything from a '75 VW van and a '71 Super Beetle (not stock) to an '87 924S, a '90 Eclipse GSXT to YJ's, Suburbans, a '69 Dart and way more Shadows than one person should ever own. There's many more but I'm not making that whole list.

When we moved to Texas almost 7 years ago, I brought my custom ordered '07 Quad cab Ram, traded it for my '13 R/T, which I later traded for my current '17 SP.

The wife says I'm keeping this one for a while and with the amount I'm about to toss at it next month, I'm inclined to agree with her.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I wear my old fart bage with honor. lmao

Sent via Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Several, but I came Back!

My 2007 Charger Daytona R/T was the car that I wished I had never sold. It ran 1:54 at Laguna Seca on street tires (Nitto INVO). Had a few after that, but finally came full circle last year for my 50th B-day and a "mid-life crisis" picking up the Charger Hellcat. Just a great car with so many things going for it, including great balance on the track (yes even for a PHAT azz car lol).

jt_rt4.jpg

19ChargerHellcat.jpg

Returning to Laguna Seca this year God willing.
    Last edited by X E Ryder; 06-08-2019 at 02:56 AM.
    X E Ryder
    Just Another Motorhead, Really.
    (midlife crisis activated)

Post Thanks / Like
    1993 Lexus ES300 (black with grey rockers, chrome wheels, gold trim. 'memba the 90's??)
    1999 Camaro SS (new) (na, 4400stall, cam, bolt ons, 12.20s with 2.2 60' before sold - I still miss this car)
    1993? Chevy Blazer
    2004 Grand Prix GTP (new) (Fusion Orange Metallic, the hottest )
    1996 Acura TL
    1999 Acura TL (drunk totaled it while it was parked)
    1993 Camaro Z28 (impulse purchase)
    1993 Lexus SC300 (trans tanked)
    2004 Cadillac STS (head gaskets blew, then head gaskets again plus trans - nice car, sized like a charger, will never buy a Cadillac again)
    2011 Chevy Cruze LS (new)
    2018 Charger Scat Pack (new)

I feel like I'm missing one What did you drive before your current car? What's your story?
    The jump from the base Cruze LS for 7 years to the Scat Pack has been a fun transition. It's been over 15 years since I've owned or driven a similar HP car daily, and I just feel like me again What did you drive before your current car? What's your story? And the familiar feeling of needing more power than my wallet is wide.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by inssane; 06-08-2019 at 02:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by Combatvet; Yesterday at 01:27 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast