Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Break in oil recommendation and procedure

I'm just about to finish installing a 6.2 hc short block onto my 2015 scat pack along with a new comp cam, ati pulley, edelbrock intake, mds delete, gasket matched ported heads, long tube headers, catless mids and d1x procharger. Really would like to know thoughts on break in oil and procedure.20190206_094753.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Scat Pack Forums mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a similar build . HC short block,Ray Barton cam, D1X etc. changed oil after it came off dyno and again at 1,000 mile. still using Pennzoil 0W40 but thinking of using a 5W40 on next change.
    Last edited by MXS67454; 02-11-2019 at 12:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MXS67454 View Post
    I have a similar build . HC short block,Ray Barton cam, D1X etc. changed oil after it came off dyno and again at 1,000 mile. still using Pennzoil 0W40 but thinking of using a 5W40 on next change.
    So how many lbs of boost are you running and what kinda power are you getting? And no issue with breaking in running a synthetic oil with no zinc?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 4doormopar View Post
    So how many lbs of boost are you running and what kinda power are you getting? And no issue with breaking in running a synthetic oil with no zinc?

No issues.. these engines come with/break in with synthetic when new (as do many others ) limited zinc in current oils is an issue for flat tappets but not rollers. I'm at 11.7 PSI @6400 made 765 whp with stock fuel system and BAP .was out of fuel at that point. doing a Fore system and smaller pulley and a built HP70 over winter so whp will go up some.
    Last edited by MXS67454; 02-11-2019 at 12:36 AM.
    Likes ronan978 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    No issues.. these engines come with/break in with synthetic when new (as do many others ) limited zinc in current oils is an issue for flat tappets but not rollers. I'm at 11.7 PSI @6400 made 765 whp with stock fuel system and BAP .was out of fuel at that point. doing a Fore system and smaller pulley and a built HP70 over winter so whp will go up some.
    Is it cheaper to build a 70 as opposed to buying a 90?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Scat Pack Forums mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunwalker12 View Post
    Is it cheaper to build a 70 as opposed to buying a 90?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Scat Pack Forums mobile app
    Yes , the built 70 was a little over 2k cheaper than the 90 conversion plus my current DSS driveshaft would not fit so add another 1k for that. my car should end up 800-825 whp and I was prepared to get the 90 but Chuck at Hell Raiser said it's not needed until about 950whp. He has a built 70 behind a 1350whp boost/spray 6.4 as a test car and it's still alive..
    Last edited by MXS67454; 02-11-2019 at 09:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    How much does a built 70 run? Does it change the feeling of the trans when driving?

2017 Pitch Black Charger Scat Pack 392
    20% tint, Billet Technologies Matte Black Catch Can, LED interior lighting, ZL1 Rock Guards, K&N drop in filter, MaxBeam Smoked LED side markers

Post Thanks / Like
    Let's not hijack OP's thread further. start a thread or PM me.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I did my engine I used break in oil. Was it a waist. Who knows. I read more and more about zinc content is low in oils due to api certain unless you buy a none api oil

It won’t hurt let’s put it that way. Personally I would do it run a couple hundred miles and drain it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 4doormopar View Post
    I'm just about to finish installing a 6.2 hc short block onto my 2015 scat pack along with a new comp cam, ati pulley, edelbrock intake, mds delete, gasket matched ported heads, long tube headers, catless mids and d1x procharger. Really would like to know thoughts on break in oil and procedure.20190206_094753.jpg

If the rings are new, use conventional 10W30, NOT a synthetic!! You want the rings to conform to the cylind4ers walls as quickly as possible. They will find their own point of equilibrium as a result. Using a synthetic interferes with this process to the point that the rings and the walls polish each other without achieving proper sealing. This is one of the most important aspects of a newly-built engine start-up.

If the rings / cylinders have not been touched, use your regular replacement oil. Avoid break-in oil...its a gimmick. Especially those touting high zinc content which has nothing to do with our engines and everything to do with the SM Chevy camshaft / lifter (inherent) interface design issue (especially when flat tappets have been installed).

Essentially, you have no need for any sort of break-in process given the Hemi employs roller-based lifters.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Likes Jay Z liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    If the rings are new, use conventional 10W30, NOT a synthetic!! You want the rings to conform to the cylind4ers walls as quickly as possible. They will find their own point of equilibrium as a result. Using a synthetic interferes with this process to the point that the rings and the walls polish each other without achieving proper sealing. This is one of the most important aspects of a newly-built engine start-up.

If the rings / cylinders have not been touched, use your regular replacement oil. Avoid break-in oil...its a gimmick. Especially those touting high zinc content which has nothing to do with our engines and everything to do with the SM Chevy camshaft / lifter (inherent) interface design issue (especially when flat tappets have been installed).

Essentially, you have no need for any sort of break-in process given the Hemi employs roller-based lifters.
    Would this possibly lead to excessive oil consumption? Among other issues obviously.

Galactus hungers...
    Current
    His: 2006 MSRT8, K&N CAI, built and tuned by MPR Motorsports (WhiteHemi), forged pistons and a HHP Stg 2r cam, HHP HEMITUNER TCM, Paramount Stg 2 valve body, Mopar Performance high stall converter, Flowmaster Super 10s, 180° t-stat, Tranzformer, Street Edge coilovers, 275/35/20 Continental ExtremeContact DW (square), otherwise bone stock.
    397rwhp/399rwtq
    Personal best 8.473 in the 1/8 and spinning like a fool, on old Toyos, pre Tranzformer, old suspension, and old stock engine, new times to come.

Hers: 2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, bone stock and slow as a rock...
    MOPAR360

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikibeast View Post
    Would this possibly lead to excessive oil consumption? Among other issues obviously.

Galactus hungers...
    Very much so if the rings have not properly seated themselves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very much so if the rings have not properly seated themselves.
    How is it that so many of today's engines are born with Synthetic oil but don't use oil when new ? what is different ?

Post Thanks / Like
    How is it that so many of today's engines are born with Synthetic oil but don't use oil when new ? what is different ?
    See if you can guess :^)

Post Thanks / Like
    See if you can guess :^)

Well in the case of the OP's 6.2 short block it's not the rings..unless it's an aftermarket short block. don't play guess the number...explain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast