Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pads vibrating?

Post Thanks / Like

Pads vibrating?

I've had power stop pads on for probably the last 3000 miles or so. No issues ever, great pads. I've been driving around in the rain tonight for a couple hours, no big deal, and all the sudden out of nowhere I went to apply the brake from about 40 and I felt a high-frequency vibration only through the pedal. I couldn't tell if you could hear from the outside of the car since it was raining, but it's definitely there. Shouldn't be the rotors, I have zero vibration through my steering wheel and this literally came out of nowhere. It's also intermittent cell for probably the last 10 miles of mixed driving it's been happening about 70% of the time speeds between 60 and 20.

any words of advice? It's going to be a day or so until I can get to the pads to check them out, visually from the outside of the car looking with a flashlight from what I could see everything's in place at least no pins are loose or out.

I've never experienced to sensation quite like this while breaking in any car, and of course since they're the breaks it makes me a tad nervous. But I lost no braking power at all.

Thx
    Nick

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Not saying it was this, but modern ABS systems pulse the brake pedal to improve braking in wet conditions. Definitely doesn't happen everytime it rains so it can be a shock the first time it feels the need to pulse the brakes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    '18 Charger SP - Tech/Driver's/Beats Packages, WRT wheels - Tazer
    Previous:
    '17 Camaro 2SS A8

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
    Not saying it was this, but modern ABS systems pulse the brake pedal to improve braking in wet conditions. Definitely doesn't happen everytime it rains so it can be a shock the first time it feels the need to pulse the brakes.

I appreciate the thought, it definitely was not that, nor was the braking remotely hard enough to justify ABS coming on in the first place. The Abs feels different than this. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by inssane View Post
    I appreciate the thought, it definitely was not that, nor was the braking remotely hard enough to justify ABS coming on in the first place. The Abs feels different than this. Thanks

Yep thought it was worth mentioning. It's not hard braking required to do it in the wet, at least not the couple of times I have felt it kick in on other cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    No.... I had the exact same problem on my daytona with Z26’s. It only happened on long drive and when it rained. Exact same issue. No one else seems to have ever had this problem and I thought it was only me. I’m happy in a way so I know I’m not crazy. I wrote about this is the other thread recently.

I don’t know what the problem is or was. I called and emailed power stop directly but they never answered. I hope we find a solution. I took the jump and just installed a set on my new scat because the dust was worse than The occasional wet issue lol... I too found that the car stopped fine but the feeling of the shaking was terrible and scary.

Let’s hope we find a solution or what is causing this... just not sure how we do this lol

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums
    '19 Scat Pack F8 Green; '18 Audi SQ5 Daytona Grey '18 Daytona 392; 16 Scat Pack Granite; '15 Durango R/T Blacktop '14 Volvo S60R Rebel Blue; '12 Audi Q5; '10 Mustang; '08 E90 M3; '07 335I Active Autowerks ...
    Thanks inssane thanked for this post
    Likes inssane liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing I noticed is that it was usually towards the end of a drive , which means they would be somewhat hot at that Point... I’m not 100% sure on that but will test again moving forward

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought it was just me. My stock pads have what feels like a vibration or loose pad or something that sounds or feels like a vibration. Thought it was in my head. Only happens after driving for a while, wet or dry. My wife doesn’t notice anything and I can’t feel it anywhere but the brake pedal.

2016 Charger Scat Pack
    LMI Intake
    3.70 gears
    Borla Atak
    Active exhaust delete
    Hemifever Tuning
    2016 Charger Scat PackLMI Intake3.70 gearsLongtube headersBorla AtakActive exhaust deleteHemifever Tuning

Post Thanks / Like
    I've only ever encountered that right after a car wash with my Z26s (no-touch automatic car wash, ie- high pressure spray directly on the wheels/brakes). First stop after the wash I could hear and feel the vibration of the wet pads/rotors. After that, no problem. I've never had it happen in the rain.
    Last edited by piening2150; 11-04-2018 at 10:32 PM.
    '17 Destroyer Gray Charger Daytona 392

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting. When I parked for 15, the next 5 minutes to my house was normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heat00 View Post
    The only thing I noticed is that it was usually towards the end of a drive , which means they would be somewhat hot at that Point... I’m not 100% sure on that but will test again moving forward

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like we all have a similar issue.
    Makes me really uncomfortable, especially with brakes and rain.
    Have any of you experienced a braking performance issue? It did feel like a loose pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    When it's really wet- like downpouring on the highway for many miles- I notice a small difference in initial braking- like when I'm getting off at my exit. Nothing dangerous, but noticeable. It goes away in a second or 2 with moderate, normal braking. I've never had a lack of braking during an "oh ****" moment. Anything more than light/moderate brake pedal pressure regardless of wetness and I can still stop on a dime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by centexcharger View Post
    I thought it was just me. My stock pads have what feels like a vibration or loose pad or something that sounds or feels like a vibration. Thought it was in my head. Only happens after driving for a while, wet or dry. My wife doesn’t notice anything and I can’t feel it anywhere but the brake pedal.

2016 Charger Scat Pack
    LMI Intake
    3.70 gears
    Borla Atak
    Active exhaust delete
    Hemifever Tuning
    I’ve had no such feeling with stock pads, only the powerstops

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piening2150 View Post
    I've only ever encountered that right after a car wash with my Z26s (no-touch automatic car wash, ie- high pressure spray directly on the wheels/brakes). First stop after the wash I could hear and feel the vibration of the wet pads/rotors. After that, no problem. I've never had it happen in the rain.
    Yes it must be somehow related to the wet factor while hot. I’ve come to the conclusion that a wash right after a drive with hot rotors doesn’t end well. Warped my rotors on my first scat before I even got the powerstops

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by inssane View Post
    Sounds like we all have a similar issue.
    Makes me really uncomfortable, especially with brakes and rain.
    Have any of you experienced a braking performance issue? It did feel like a loose pad.

Sounds like only you and I have the exact same problem , others are similar but not the same.
    I notice the same exact problem and mine would go away also after a stop which means they cooled down. They did stop fine but like you, the pedal felt aweful and scary... if they work fine but don’t feel good I’m not to worried about it.
    I can’t comment now as I’ve only had them on my new scat for one day but I’m hoping not to have this problem this time.

Perhaps the bed in process wasn’t done right? How many miles did you have on the rotors when the powerstops went on?

My first scat didn’t have the issue but they were the Z23’s not that it should matter but more importantly, the rotors were already warped and I installed the powerstops with brand new oem rotors and never had an issue. They were also the 4 piston.

Next is the Daytona and I think I had 5/6000 miles when I installed the powerstops. Had the wet issue bad, so maybe the rotors were already worn down some from the stock pads which eat up rotors btw....

I don’t know just trying to look at all the variables. This scat has 1900 miles so we’ll see how they act... I’m sure it’ll rain soon lol...

Post Thanks / Like
    From everything I just thought about and wrote, I would have to think so far.... that it is possible that the rotors being already worn from the harsh semi metallic brembo pads caused the issue as I didn’t have it when i installed new rotors with the powerstops... only when I installed them into rotors that had 6000 miles ... just my thoughts so far

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast