Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would there be any advantage getting the shield and air duct if I have the k&n intake tube and cone filter or am I gonna get the same amount of air from the engine bay? I would imagine I would get more air and colder air. I still need to order the grille but wanted to wait until Steve white gets the parts in. Might have to give them a call this week.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Scat Pack Forums mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty6191 View Post
    Would there be any advantage getting the shield and air duct if I have the k&n intake tube and cone filter or am I gonna get the same amount of air from the engine bay? I would imagine I would get more air and colder air. I still need to order the grille but wanted to wait until Steve white gets the parts in. Might have to give them a call this week.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Scat Pack Forums mobile app
    You will obviously still pull from the engine bay, but getting some cooler fresh air into the mix isn’t going to hurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Surprisingly, Dodge did a really good job at making sure that the airbox gets a nice supply of air from outside of the engine bay via the bottom of the airbox. If you look at the top of the drivers side brake duct with the bumper off, you will see that there is a hole in the top of the duct that has an indentation on the trailing edge that is designed to direct air up into the opening for the lower airbox.

I was tempted to add a section of large diameter hose to this hole and aim it into the hole for the lower airbox, but didn't have the right diameter on hand. (A project for another day)
    Paul
    16 Scat Pack
    Thanks DatDude392 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMc View Post
    Surprisingly, Dodge did a really good job at making sure that the airbox gets a nice supply of air from outside of the engine bay via the bottom of the airbox. If you look at the top of the drivers side brake duct with the bumper off, you will see that there is a hole in the top of the duct that has an indentation on the trailing edge that is designed to direct air up into the opening for the lower airbox.

I was tempted to add a section of large diameter hose to this hole and aim it into the hole for the lower airbox, but didn't have the right diameter on hand. (A project for another day)
    I was thinking of doing something similar but with sheet metal and having it seal off the top of the brake duct and the opening for the bottom of the air box

Post Thanks / Like
    LMI for the win...!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    That might be the case, But I personally just can't justify laying down nearly $400 for an intake that nets me the same exact results as a factory or Hellcat airbox. The only difference between the two being the LMI locates the filter down in the fender and is made out of fancy CF. If the car was modded and I was looking for any little thing that could help, it would be one thing, but on a stockish street car with bolt-ons, I just can't see the benefit.

With the HC lower box, K&N panel filter and duct/tube, I'm seeing IAT's at, or just a c-hair above ambient on a hard pull. Like I said before, Dodge did a pretty bang-up job with the factory intake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMc View Post
    That might be the case, But I personally just can't justify laying down nearly $400 for an intake that nets me the same exact results as a factory or Hellcat airbox. The only difference between the two being the LMI locates the filter down in the fender and is made out of fancy CF. If the car was modded and I was looking for any little thing that could help, it would be one thing, but on a stockish street car with bolt-ons, I just can't see the benefit.

With the HC lower box, K&N panel filter and duct/tube, I'm seeing IAT's at, or just a c-hair above ambient on a hard pull. Like I said before, Dodge did a pretty bang-up job with the factory intake.
    Got mine used for 225$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an NACA duct sitting on my bench. Next time I go to Summit, I'm grabbing a foot of air ducting and mounting the duct over that hole and tubing it straight up to the bottom opening of the airbox.

I have a K&N drop in filter, and with that opening plumbed it should function as well as the LMI with a total cost of about $25.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Punisher did you add the duct and tube??? If so intake temps ambient now?

Sent from my LG-V521 using Scat Pack Forums mobile app
    2018 R/T Scat Pack
    SOLD
    13 Granite R/T Challenger
    SOLD14 Plum Crazy R/T Charger
    SOLD 07 Plum Daytona 12.854 @ 106.73 Stock Heads, Cam, Intake & Muffler

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HerDaytona View Post
    Punisher did you add the duct and tube??? If so intake temps ambient now?

Sent from my LG-V521 using Scat Pack Forums mobile app
    No, Summit didn't have the tubing in stock. I've got it ordered, should have it done and pics posted this coming week.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I honestly dont see or understand the need for it personally. Monitoring IAT at WOT I routinely see them only 4 to 5 degrees above ambient. So...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Scat Pack Forums mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    With the hellcat lower box and intake tube, I'm seeing IAT's at about 2-3 above ambient at WOT, which is just slightly lower than what I was seeing with the stock airbox just feeding through the bottom. (5-6 on average). I think that the addition of a NACA style duct at the air pickup on the brake/air duct will only benefit air getting into the box.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't wait till things get warmer out and see what intake temps are at idle for a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    No matter what, idle IAT's are gonna go through the roof, especially in warm weather. On 70* days here, I've seen my IAT's get up in the mid 140's, but once the car starts moving temps drop fairly quick.
    As long as the intake tubing and temp sensor are under the hood, you're going to get heat soak.

Post Thanks / Like

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast