Post Thanks / Like

Subframe Connectors? Is the 2018 Charger a BOF/UB?

When I previously owned 4th Gen Z28's, and Trans Am's, back when they were new, I had Subframe Connectors installed and they made a huge difference in solidifying the chassis, and dramatically improved handling, and the rigidity of the vehicle, even improving 1/4 mile times, and speed.

Hypothetically if the Charger is a BOF/UB: Does the 2018 era Charger have a Body on Frame or Uni-Body? If so does anyone make subframe connectors? Has anyone had them installed? Again this is hypothetical based on the chassis.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    A little research revealed that the Charger does indeed need Subframe Connectors. I know what's on my next to do list. http://www.speedlogixstore.com/product-p/sx-306-5014.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Do some more research. While they are a unibody, they are so stiff that the gains from subframe connectors are minimal unless you are tracking the car hard. These aren't the old school f-bodies you are used to. Technology has advanced a long way in the last 15 years.
    2016 Charger Scat Pack
    LMI Intake
    3.70 gears
    Dynomax Mini Bullet Mufflers
    Active exhaust delete
    Hemifever Tuning
    Likes Combatvet, punisher69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by centexcharger View Post
    Do some more research. While they are a unibody, they are so stiff that the gains from subframe connectors are minimal unless you are tracking the car hard. These aren't the old school f-bodies you are used to. Technology has advanced a long way in the last 15 years.
    Strut tower bars are also a great way to spend money on things these cars don't need!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed. My 350z came with one factory on the front and I drove it around for a bit without it and there was a big difference there. But it was also 13yrs old at the time. You could see the panel gaps change as you jacked it up. The charger I can lift an entire side from one spot and not a single gap changes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Every car frame / platform this Forum talks about are E55 chassis in disguise. All of them...including the Challenger are the same frame / body structure. The great thing is that it is a Mercedes design, they are incredibly stiff in all planes.

The bad thing is the mass; in order to achieve stiffness, without resorting to lighter or exotic, they are relatively heavy. So stiff that strut tower braces and especially subframe connectors are simply ineffective by-design.

Although both product designs fail miserably to address any potential flexure. No one has ever explained / proved any flexure exists - let alone demonstrated where and by how much. We, on the other hand, have shown repeatedly, on road courses, at ten-tenths, with measuring equipment and blind tests that the need(!) for stiffeners is fiction. The subframe connectors in particular are bogus as they are in parallel(!) with any potential plane of flexure. Any Engineer worth their salt would laugh and view them as napkin marketing for the uninitiated.

If you're after blingy, these parts fit right in. Paint em' up purty and tell folks at car shows juuuust how effective they are. Its funny to hear people at cars shows claim they couldn't do without them...on the street no-less...they've never been on a road course :^D

If you're after real performance for your hard-earned money, there are other suspension changes / upgrades that can take advantage of that inherent stiffness and actually do something of merit. But be forewarned...street-driven will never challenge most of the devices on offer...it takes a road course at the limits of adhesion :^)
    Last edited by Hemissary; 07-13-2018 at 03:42 PM.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels