Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
    Bob,

I'm kicking around the idea of adding a sub still, but you said you didn't use a LOC here. I know you said you tapped into the driver's rear speaker, but how do you have RCA's going into the amp then?
    I cut the RCAs off of one end of a patch cord and stripped the wires back enough to install spade terminals. After that, I snapped T-Taps on to the driver side rear deck 6x9.

Piece of cake

Bob
    LuX Technologies - Custom Interior Light Mods for Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep Platforms [LX/LC/WK]
    I spend my time modding your lights and developing new products, not being your FaceBook friend.

http://www.luxte.ch
    Lux Technologies

Thanks snobrdrdan thanked for this post
    Likes snobrdrdan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by diboblo View Post
    I cut the RCAs off of one end of a patch cord and stripped the wires back enough to install spade terminals. After that, I snapped T-Taps on to the driver side rear deck 6x9.

Piece of cake

Bob
    LuX Technologies - Custom Interior Light Mods for Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep Platforms [LX/LC/WK]
    Ok, I'm out of the stereo loop for some time. If you tapped into the rear shelf speaker, would you not have tied them into the high input on the amp?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    OK riding on the OP thread, does anyone know how to change the stations and search stations on a way older pioneer radio, OK don't laugh it's in a 1992 suxuki sidekick. All the settings are for religious channels. UGH.

PB ET 14.02 at CamaroFest 5 totally stock
    PB RT Sportsman tree .003 at Challengerfest 3, PB RT pro tree .019 at MSHS VMP 5/16
    PB 0-60 3.24 MIR Raceway Drag Radials 6/18

PB 0-60 4.40 Street Tires on the street Calabash 10/14

PB 60' 1.472 @ CF9 4/18
    PB ET 1/8 6.911 @ CF9 4/18
    PB MPH 1/8 101.32 @ The Rock 4/19
    PB ET 10.857 @ CF9 4/18

PB MPH 127.29 @ Atco 11/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher69 View Post
    Ok, I'm out of the stereo loop for some time. If you tapped into the rear shelf speaker, would you not have tied them into the high input on the amp?

On the Kicker ZX series, you use the composite (RCA) input & select whether it is HI, or LOW

Easy peasy...

Bob
    Last edited by diboblo; 11-29-2019 at 05:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    On the Kicker ZX series, you use the composite (RCA) input & select whether it is HI, or LOW

Easy peasy...

Bob
    Told you I've been out of it for a while lol. That's awesome that they started that. Those speaker level inputs are annoying... especially when you have an amp that works, but no harness for the input Bye Bye Junk Alpine Stereo

Post Thanks / Like

Piece of cake

Bob
    Forgive me since I've never seen that done before or even heard of it, so just one tap on each wire of the driver rear 6x9 (2 taps total) and then one RCA cable with the (2) taps/spade terminals added to the ends (for the tap on the speaker wire) and then that'll give you the signal?
    Thus eliminating the need for a LOC?

If so, brilliant!
    Also eliminates the need to find an amp that uses the speaker inputs, with a harness.

Now...for the rear speaker tap...does it matter which one is Left or Right though?
    I guess that's where I'm confused....if it's positive & negative on the rear speaker how does that equal left & right for the RCA signal on the amp?

Any pics of this btw?
    Again, I've never heard or seen it done this way...I've always just used a LOC.
    2019 Charger Scat Pack

Post Thanks / Like
    Forgive me since I've never seen that done before or even heard of it, so just one tap on each wire of the driver rear 6x9 (2 taps total) and then one RCA cable with the (2) taps/spade terminals added to the ends (for the tap on the speaker wire) and then that'll give you the signal?
    Thus eliminating the need for a LOC?

If so, brilliant!
    Also eliminates the need to find an amp that uses the speaker inputs, with a harness.

Now...for the rear speaker tap...does it matter which one is Left or Right though?
    I guess that's where I'm confused....if it's positive & negative on the rear speaker how does that equal left & right for the RCA signal on the amp?

Any pics of this btw?
    Again, I've never heard or seen it done this way...I've always just used a LOC.
    Yes. You got it.

Each RCA has a signal and a shield (ground) wire. The signal wire is the center and the shield is the outer.

Strip the outer insulation on both RCAs.

Peel back the shield, on both, and twist together.

Strip the inner insulation and twist the signal wires together.

Solder, or crimp the spade terminals to the wire ends.

Pin 1 at the 6x9 DRIVER SIDE is ground.

Pin 2 at the 6x9 DRIVER SIDE is signal.

We dont care that the signal is merged, since it is going into a monoblock amp. We DO care about final polarity, so remember to fire up the stereo and reverse the RCAs, if need be. One way, you will get flat bass. One way, you will full tone bass.

That's it

If you dont have the means to do this, I'm happy to make up cables, for you guys.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Btw, if you still need pix, let me know. I can head out to the shop and make up a cable... taking pix, along the way

Bob
    Last edited by diboblo; 12-03-2019 at 09:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    From the dark side, I like my alpine junk. I've done several audio upgrades in vehicles over the years and spending only to trade off in a few years has worn me out.
    But I still like to look.
    I would have liked to have seen your pictures but they are proprietary to Photobucket and are out of focus with imposed watermarks.
    But this forum is famous for hoop jumping to add pictures. And with Photo bucket, hoops to view.
    Protect your hearing. Enjoy.
    Last edited by gapi; 12-01-2019 at 12:34 PM.
    2013 Dodge Charger R/T Plus 362.63HP/389.58TQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gapi View Post
    From the dark side, I like my alpine junk. I've done several audio upgrades in vehicles over the years and spending only to trade off in a few years has worn me out.
    But I still like to look.
    I would have liked to have seen your pictures but they are proprietary to Photobucket and are out of focus with imposed watermarks.
    But this forum is famous for hoop jumping to add pictures. And with Photo bucket, hoops to view.
    Protect your hearing. Enjoy.
    Here are his pix

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Almost identical setup in mine. I put it in about a year ago. Sounds great....problem is, my park sense is severely attenuated and bluetooth calls are non existent. I can live with it for now since I rarely have time to fuss with it especially since its winter and getting dark earlier. I know its settings related on the Kenwood DSP amp, but the instruction manual for it is useless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now I'm jealous

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. You got it.

Each RCA has a signal and a shield (ground) wire. The signal wire is the center and the shield is the outer.

Strip the outer insulation on both RCAs.

Peel back the shield, on both, and twist together.

Strip the inner insulation and twist the signal wires together.

Solder, or crimp the spade terminals to the wire ends.

Pin 1 at the 6x9 DRIVER SIDE is ground.

Pin 2 at the 6x9 DRIVER SIDE is signal.

We dont care that the signal is merged, since it is going into a monoblock amp. We DO care about final polarity, so remember to fire up the stereo and reverse the RCAs, if need be. One way, you will get flat bass. One way, you will full tone bass.

That's it

If you dont have the means to do this, I'm happy to make up cables, for you guys.

Bob
    So, once you cut the RCA ends off & strip the insulation off each side of the 2 wires....you have 4 wires total (ground & signal on each wire).
    Then you're twisting the ground from each wire together & the signal from each wire together & then connecting that to the rear speaker....right?

Also, I know you said you'd eventually upgrade the HK subs. What were you considering?
    I just found/bought a Challenger HK box yesterday, but still trying to figure out my end goal/plan here.
    I've always been a JL Audio sub fan, or I could go a hair cheaper and even just grab some Kicker 10's.
    Just wondering what you were thinking for yours.

Some quick Google searches showed a few upgrades on the Hellcat forum, but I'm not seeing much on this site.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, once you cut the RCA ends off & strip the insulation off each side of the 2 wires....you have 4 wires total (ground & signal on each wire).
    Then you're twisting the ground from each wire together & the signal from each wire together & then connecting that to the rear speaker....right?

Also, I know you said you'd eventually upgrade the HK subs. What were you considering?
    I just found/bought a Challenger HK box yesterday, but still trying to figure out my end goal/plan here.
    I've always been a JL Audio sub fan, or I could go a hair cheaper and even just grab some Kicker 10's.
    Just wondering what you were thinking for yours.

Some quick Google searches showed a few upgrades on the Hellcat forum, but I'm not seeing much on this site.
    Yep... you got it. 4 wires, down to 2 wires, to the 6x9

After doing a fair bit of research, I ordered a pair of SKAR Audio VD Series 10" subs. 500 rms/800 peak.

Skar Audio - VD-10 | 10" 800 Watt Max Power Subwoofer - Shallow Mount

We're only working with a 5.75" overall mounting depth. These are 4.47" shallow mount. You'll need a shallow mount sub, for this box, for sure.

I'll start another thread, showing all my work...

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    So I'm thinking I'm gonna at least try the HK subs first, and mod the wiring like you did, before I throw some extra money at some new/upgraded ones.

I was thinking of going with the Kicker CXA400.1 amp (since it's $120) at first, but I read some reviews that it's a little low on power and was considering going with the Rockford Fosgate R500X1D amp instead for $130 and then just turn the gain down so I don't blow them.
    And then IF I do upgrade the subs....I'll have plenty of power still for them.

Thoughts?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast