Post Thanks / Like

Troubleshoot help

My son has a 2011 charger 5.7 hemi and he had me look at it cause it was making a racket up front. The wishbone pivot thing on both front tires, the bolt stud is cutting a grove in the tire. Looks to me like both struts have gone bad but I need some advise. Here is some pics

Not sure how both went bad at same time but I don’t drive the car and he knows nothing about cars. Y’all think new struts would fix it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't feel like a bad strut would cause that. I'd look at the lower ball joints and see if they're coming apart. Did he run anything over? Hit a big pot hole?
    1949 International KB2 "Mater" 302/T5

1968 Dodge Dart GTS "The Drat", 340/727

1972 Dodge D200, 318/727, soon 440/518

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T the "Wagnum", 5.7/auto

2016 Dodge Durango Limited, 3.6/auto

Oh Drat! Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    He claims no, but he delivers pizza and not very careful so who knows. The way we noticed the problem is that he had a flat tire couple days ago and put the donut on (front left). No rubbing the perch bolt. He went to tire shop today and got two used tires put on the front and he said he noticed/heard the rubbing when he left the tire shop. When he got home is when I saw it was rubbing. I can’t see how the tire shop could have done anything to cause this issue. Same size tires. Only thing changed from yesterday not rubbing to today rubbing is getting two used tires put on today

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scat5150 View Post
    He claims no, but he delivers pizza and not very careful so who knows. The way we noticed the problem is that he had a flat tire couple days ago and put the donut on (front left). No rubbing the perch bolt. He went to tire shop today and got two used tires put on the front and he said he noticed/heard the rubbing when he left the tire shop. When he got home is when I saw it was rubbing. I can’t see how the tire shop could have done anything to cause this issue. Same size tires. Only thing changed from yesterday not rubbing to today rubbing is getting two used tires put on today

Are they stock rims? Bigger tires than stock? Lowered car? Sometimes one brand of tire fits no problem, while another brand won't. I've known people to grind the bolt down to clear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Same stock rims with same tire size. Nothing different from yesterday to today but getting two used tires put on front and now the stud is cutting a grove in tire.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I may see an issue. The stock size according to the door panel is 245/45-20. The last time he got used tires for the back and they put on 235/55-20 on because didn’t have any used ones the correct size. Back didn’t matter cause no perch. They must have just copied the back size for the front or his other fronts were just worn too much to rub. How much taller is the 235/55 vs 245/45?

Post Thanks / Like
    Same stock rims with same tire size. Nothing different from yesterday to today but getting two used tires put on front and now the stud is cutting a grove in tire.

That gooseneck looking piece is attached to the back of the spindle. The space between it and the wheel should not change, even if the struts go bad. I'd look at the ball joint, wheel bearing, etc. I don't see how putting new tires on it would cause the issue, maybe it's just a fluke.

Post Thanks / Like
    The difference is about two inches in diameter. That could definitely be the problem. Via tiresize.com tire calculator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTSDart340 View Post
    The difference is about two inches in diameter. That could definitely be the problem. Via tiresize.com tire calculator
    Two inches in diameter so one inch less clearance between tire and stud, correct? I think that’s what’s happened cause usually there is only about an inch or less clearance to begin with and if tire is an inch taller then that would be an issue

Post Thanks / Like
    Two inches in diameter so one inch less clearance between tire and stud, correct? I think that’s what’s happened cause usually there is only about an inch or less clearance to begin with and if tire is an inch taller then that would be an issue

That is correct, about 1 inch bigger in radius. So that sounds like the issue. I see two options for you. Get different size tires, or grind the stud down to clear. Glad you found it!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yikes, yes new struts...or just new springs specifically but judging the rust and age you might do with a whole new front end suspension...especially if the towers are shot

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely tire/wheel size issue. The hub is connected to the spindle so the distance between the top bolt of the spindle and tire should never change unless a different size wheel/tire is put on.

Thanks scat5150 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd just grind the bolt down, lots of guys do this to fit larger tires.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Scat Pack Forums mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    I wound up sawing off the stud up to the nut which gave about 3/8” clearance so he should be good. Thanks for all the advice guys

Likes GTSDart340 liked this post