Post Thanks / Like

Cooling system question

Hey guys,

Wondering if i can get some advice on my cooling system. Currently running an ‘11 R/T police package. Everything works wonderfully but I’ve noticed that my coolant temp will sometimes spike up to 215 or so. Usually running temp is 203 to 205. Not every time I drive, but maybe every 10 times or so it will climb, hold at that temp and then start to taper off. Checked coolant levels and nothing out of the ordinary there. Thinking maybe I have an issue with the thermostat not opening as quickly as usual? My last few cars have had major cooling issues, so I’m a bid more aware of it that normal. Any advice?
    Side note: the wife has a ‘12 grand Cherokee with the 5.7. Checked her temp driving yesterday and it never went over 203. Would love to have that in the Charger. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a few questions, have you added coolant? Maybe you have a small leak. Can you be certain the fans are working on low and high? Maybe one of the fans is getting weak. Don't forget to check the cap. Find out if the cap is holding pressure. Hope you figure it out. I

Sent from my SM-G930V using Scat Pack Forums mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Dr. View Post
    Just a few questions, have you added coolant? Maybe you have a small leak. Can you be certain the fans are working on low and high? Maybe one of the fans is getting weak. Don't forget to check the cap. Find out if the cap is holding pressure. Hope you figure it out. I

I’m planning on adding coolant tonight and also to check for a leak. How do I test the fans? Where are the relays for them located?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CaddieShaq View Post
    I’m planning on adding coolant tonight and also to check for a leak. How do I test the fans? Where are the relays for them located?

I think you have a dual fan setup. The relays are part of power distribution center I think. Best way to test is with a scan tool. Use the tool to talk to the PCM to turn on the fans and control the speed. That way you know if the PCM is ok or not.

Thanks Dzap95 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If you do have a dual fan setup, the high speed fan is controlled through a relay, on the fan assembly, between the fans. Mine was intermittent and I had similar issues, to what you are reporting.

Remove the relay and check that 1. it's not burned, 2. that it functions properly.

Also, if you are running an OEM thermostat, they have a rubber insert, in the middle of the assembly, that breaks down, after a while and can cause the thermostat to stick open, until the chunk dislodges. If your relay is good, try checking the thermostat and replace it, if need be. It's a 63mm 203 degree (F) unit, if you're running a stock one.

Hope this helps.

Bob
    I spend my time modding your lights and developing new products, not being your FaceBook friend.

http://www.luxte.ch
    Lux Technologies

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by diboblo View Post
    If you do have a dual fan setup, the high speed fan is controlled through a relay, on the fan assembly, between the fans. Mine was intermittent and I had similar issues, to what you are reporting.

Remove the relay and check that 1. it's not burned, 2. that it functions properly.

Also, if you are running an OEM thermostat, they have a rubber insert, in the middle of the assembly, that breaks down, after a while and can cause the thermostat to stick open, until the chunk dislodges. If your relay is good, try checking the thermostat and replace it, if need be. It's a 63mm 203 degree (F) unit, if you're running a stock one.

Hope this helps.

Bob
    An open thermostat cannot cause overheating.

Post Thanks / Like
    My fans won't come on until it gets to 225F if I am idling, and even then they won't decrease the temperature so much as keep it from going any higher (if car is not moving forward). And this is with new water pump, thermostat, coolant, hoses, etc.

I wouldn't worry too much if I were the OP...keep the coolant changed and fresh, and it should be good to go.
    2012 Charger R/T with Pursuit pkg (2018 - ?)
    -- The Bacon Hauler
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Challenger Rallye Redline ed. (2015 - 2018)
    2011 Challenger Toxic Orange SE (2011 - 2014)