Post Thanks / Like

Driveshaft stoopid question...

So my driveshaft couplers went awhile back. I researched it a bit to do it myself, but ultimately decided it would be too big of a hassle without a lift, and it was during Florida summer, so nah.

anyways in a video it says the driveshaft is balanced and to make grease pen markings etc to easily line it back up. What would be the symptoms if my mechanic didn’t do this?

seems like since I got the car back from this guy, it shakes violently in park/stop at light, etc. this used to happen sporadically but ultimately it was quiet and smooth before he worked on it. So it may not be the driveshaft at all and another problem got worse over time.

its just annoying as ****, the steering wheel shakes, the seat shakes and it comes in pulsing waves. But always been curious what the side effects of putting the driveshaft back in wrong would cause to happen?

Edit: also forgot to mention it shakes in reverse now too which it never did before.
    Last edited by BioFUSION; 01-18-2020 at 04:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    it would vibrate but while your are driving. No cel or faults?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not while giving gas, but at a stop light or in park/reverse.

i do have a o2 sensor code, I replaced it, but the code stayed. I did a tune up last week and jiggled the o2 sensor wires and it went away for a day then returned. So may have been a faulty o2 sensor or the wire harness...

Post Thanks / Like
    If it was the driveshaft you'd severely notice it while giving it gas. If it's just idle it was most likely the sensors or something else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Same as above.
    An unbalanced shaft would be hell at speed could be a mis at idle and reverse from sensors or perhaps a trans issue that’s developed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the code ?
    any modifications done?

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny, I took off the cam sensor, map sensor and ats? sensor and they where filthy, but im to fat to get under the car and reach the crank sensor, which is stuck in my head that its the issue... but im sure if I did clean it nothing would change...

The 2 codes I get are 1128 and 0032. No mods.

Also from time to time, I back out of the driveway, shift to drive, and the car kinda sputters/bucks... only way to make it run normal is to shut it off and restart the engine. I thought that went away after cleaning some sensors but it just happened again recently, less often now though. Also theres times when you go to start the car and nothing, no click no nothing. Just have to keep trying till it finally engages, that happens more often since cleaning the cam sensor, but it has been doing it since I bought it sporadically, usually after it rains, Ive had bad starters, this seems more like a relay/sensor issue. Only mentioning these in case something is related and helps diagnose it.

Come to think of it, sometimes while accelerating you do kinda get a sort of hesitation like its doing the pulse issue, again sporadically, not constant...

Since that mechanic did the couplers, things ive done to try and fix the issue:

Clean MAP Sensor
    Clean Cam Sensor
    Clean Air Intake Sensor
    Replaced hose from Oil Fill to Air FIlter due to break down/cracks
    New Air Filter
    New Spark Plugs
    Cleaned Throttlebody
    New Upper Intake Gasket
    New EGR Gasket
    New EGR
    Check PVC Valve, fine, shakes
    New serpentine belt

Heres a vid of the pulsing, you will see I eventually shut off the a/c which initially quiets it down, but it doesnt stop. Also noticed that if you turn the wheel it makes it pulse immediately? Or causes a similar sound...

shaking - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats a fast vibration. I'd look at the accessory drive - everything driven by the belt. That vibration, just going off the video, is from something turning faster than the engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah that is a fast vibration. nothing in the motor should be that fast at idle. And it does not sound like a miss now.

Well, Since it seems to happen at idle or low speeds, and it looks to get worse with steering wheel movement. My guess would be in the power steering pump or shuttle valve in the rack.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would isolate it by waiting til it's cooled off, take the belt off, start it and see if the vibration is still there. Obviously watch the temperature gauge since the water pump won't be turning, don't let it get hot.

This may vary depending on what engine you have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Car is in park in the video and the RPMs are steady, so that takes out everything downstream. I agree with 69RT, it's something with the accessory drive. Maybe post a video of the engine compartment with the shaking happening, should be able to find the issue since it's a short rapid shaking.
    2005 300C
    MMPG 6.1 Heads, Custom Cam, MMPG 87mm TB
    C&L Intake, Tranzformer, Moroso Catch Can
    Richmond 3.55 , Quaife LSD , Getrag 3.06 LSD, 226mm upgrade
    API Tuned
    DSS 2-Piece Chromoly DS
    B&C Coilovers, Speedlogix Adjustable Billet Rear Control Arms
    SRT-8 Replica 20x9 Wheels
    400whp/399wtq

Post Thanks / Like
    My guess is a failed engine mount or something in the belt drive

Post Thanks / Like
    Went back and looked, it’s hard to tell via the video but each pulse coincides with the rpms dropping below 600, then back up, repeat...

Post Thanks / Like
    Take the belt off and see if it continues. That will eliminate a good bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also check harmonic balancer.