Thread: Getrag vs ESP

Post Thanks / Like

Getrag vs ESP

I have an '06 charger that I am planning on installing a 3.06 getrag in the near future. I was curious how an LSD rear would react with the ESP system that is in place that applies brakes to the slipping wheel. Will it still engage even with the getrag rear? or is the clutch engagement faster than the brake engagement? Thank you in advance.

PS. I do have a traction control Off switch that I wired in, which works great, but I read where that does not disengage the brake torque management at the rear.
    '06 Charger R/T R&T, K&N cai, ESP switch , TCE Wilwood Aero6 front caliper kit,
    Speedlogix catch can
    best E/T 14.18 @ 98mph
    full weight w/dragging caliper and half a tank

Post Thanks / Like
    The mechanical action of the LSD will be faster than the "electronic" differential action of the stock system. But if the tires spin, the ESP will still step in and cut power.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Scat Pack Forums mobile app
    2006 Dodge Charger Daytona TorRed #1354, SRT Heads/Intake - ARH Long Tubes - Spartan Plus Cam - Magnaflow - 3.91s - 411rwhp/410rwtq
    Acceleration video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLey...aubWU9N6ezVy7g

I detail cars in the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area! 757-435-4027

Post Thanks / Like
    BeachGoat is correct. I had installed a Getrag on the 2007 SRT I had. Never noticed the ESP kick in unless I did a hard burnout. In that case you only need turn the ESP off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadscharger View Post
    I have an '06 charger that I am planning on installing a 3.06 getrag in the near future. I was curious how an LSD rear would react with the ESP system that is in place that applies brakes to the slipping wheel. Will it still engage even with the getrag rear? or is the clutch engagement faster than the brake engagement? Thank you in advance.

PS. I do have a traction control Off switch that I wired in, which works great, but I read where that does not disengage the brake torque management at the rear.
    As Beach and TN point out, the two clutch mechanisms inside the differential are constantly resisting slippage, so their on duty 100%.

If by a "traction control off" switch, you mean you wired into the Dynamic Sense Module (DSM) just behind the shifter mechanism, then no, once activated (PWR removed from DSM and no longer communicates with PCM / FCM until the next key cycle) the ABS / braking does not function.
    Last edited by Hemissary; 02-11-2019 at 08:04 PM.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    When I went with Getrag -I wired a kill switch that cut off battery + or ignition feed to dynamic sensor under console.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies. I wasn't thinking about the LSD correctly. You are right hemisarry, the clutches are always engaged. For some reason I pictured them engaging once slippage occurs.
    The esp switch I wired in is just a dsm kill switch that has to be cycled, however even with that tripped I was still getting a two wheel burnout and abs functionality when hard stopping. It would allow a nice continous burnout as advertised.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadscharger View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I wasn't thinking about the LSD correctly. You are right hemisarry, the clutches are always engaged. For some reason I pictured them engaging once slippage occurs.
    The esp switch I wired in is just a dsm kill switch that has to be cycled, however even with that tripped I was still getting a two wheel burnout and abs functionality when hard stopping. It would allow a nice continous burnout as advertised.
    I should have been more succinct; ABS is still engaged (even when DSM is being ignored by PCM / FCM by-way of CANbus) during braking but the smarts to detect wheel slippage, say during icy conditions is negated when the DSM is removed from the equation. The DSM module is a 3-axis gryo that is used to not just detect peg-legging during bad weather but also help to independently apply one or more brake assemblies during a sliding (say - on an icy road) event...
    Last edited by Hemissary; 02-11-2019 at 11:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since I installed a getrag 5 years ago, I noticed that with full traction control the rear end would feel artificially loose in a 1st gear throttle roll out, almost like I hit a patch of ice. It took me a few years to realize that if I turned off the tc, dry straight line traction improved significantly and the loss of grip at peak torque felt much more natural.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2006 300c SRT8
    PWR Ported Heads | HHP Stage 2R Cam | 3.91 Getrag | GTP Ported Intake Manifold | Kooks Longtubes | Corsa Sport / SRT Resonators | AMG 8 Piston Brake Calipers | Hemituner 6,800 TCM | BT Catch Can | LMI True CAI V2 | Tranzformer | MM 87mm TB | Johan Tuned | REM Adjustable Endlinks & Front/Rear Shock Braces | 33/22mm Front/Rear Sway Bars | Michelin Pilot Sport 4 315/35/20 & 275/40/20 | 10" Widened Oem Wheels | LC-2 Wideband Analog Output to Trinity | Mishimoto Full Aluminum Radiator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BM_SRT View Post
    Since I installed a getrag 5 years ago, I noticed that with full traction control the rear end would feel artificially loose in a 1st gear throttle roll out, almost like I hit a patch of ice. It took me a few years to realize that if I turned off the tc, dry straight line traction improved significantly and the loss of grip at peak torque felt much more natural.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    What was happening here? The traction control was causing slippage?
    SCOTT57RT
    2007 RT Charger 5.7L - Black Crystal Pearl
    Mods: DiabloSport Predator - InertiaTuned, MagnaFlow CAT Back Exhaust, JBA High Flow Cats, JBA Headers, 185Tstat, 85mm CNC Throttle Body, 6psi-P1SC Procharger Supercharger, Blown Spartan Cam, 20x9 FR SRT8 Challenger Wheels/Nitto555G2, Mygig, BC Racing Coilovers, Willwood Brakes&Rotors, 3.06 Getrag

Post Thanks / Like
    The duty cycle (length of time the brakes are applied) during an unintended loss of control (say on ice) is relatively subtle. When the engine's power output has been increased, brake application by the ABS system is overwhelmed. In simple terms, although FCM / DSM smarts are still applying the brakes during intentional burnouts (for example), it can feel strange.

At higher power levels you don't notice, but the rear brakes are still getting a needless workout...