Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    434
    Post Thanks / Like

    Air blowing out of defroster?

    Hey all, wasn’t sure where to put this so I’ll try here. I’ve got this really annoying issue In that when I turn on my AC, it also blows some air out of the defroster vent onto the windshield. I would say it’s not that big of a deal, but unfortunately it severely fogs up the windshield and creates so much condensation you would think it’s raining and I have to constantly hit the windshield wipers. I have done the self test sequence, and it didn’t indicate any issues with a defrost damper or anything?? Any idea what might be causing this?? I can’t imagine it’s normal...

    I also have a separate issue where the blend door (behind glove box) is broken that controls outside air or recirculate air. I have taken it out a handful of times, glued it, epoxyd it, bolted it, nothing seems to hold. Does anyone know if I can get my hands on just the blend door itself somewhere? Or do I have to buy the entire assembly?

    Thanks y’all! I look forward to your help and responses, I’d like to get this stuff squared away now that my engine is fixed!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Bedford, Texas
    Posts
    2,717
    Post Thanks / Like
    The defrost thing is normal. Every Mopar I've owned since 1992 has done it. It IS annoying especially if you're in a humid climate because that just makes it worse. The only thing you can do is turn the air down a notch or 2 and slow it down some.

    As for the blend door, I can't imagine that you couldn't get one from the stealership. I've just never had the need to look.

    Go on Steve White parts, enter your vehicle info and do a search for it

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Thanks WontStopTheFUnk thanked for this post
    Likes WontStopTheFUnk, ronan978 liked this post

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    2,449
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah the defroster SUCKS with these cars. I did the vinegar and dawn trick and it stayed good for a little while , but it is back so I have to do it again. From my quick research of this , it seems there gasses released from the vinyl/plastic of the dash that make it worse. How true that is , is beyond me. But the vinegar and dawn does help for a short while. Not to mention it really cleans the inside windshield


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks WontStopTheFUnk thanked for this post
    Likes WontStopTheFUnk liked this post

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    434
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher69 View Post
    The defrost thing is normal. Every Mopar I've owned since 1992 has done it. It IS annoying especially if you're in a humid climate because that just makes it worse. The only thing you can do is turn the air down a notch or 2 and slow it down some.

    As for the blend door, I can't imagine that you couldn't get one from the stealership. I've just never had the need to look.

    Go on Steve White parts, enter your vehicle info and do a search for it

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Hey! Thanks for the input. Yeah I’ve never had another car do this, and my buddy that works for the dealership said “that’s not normal”. Unfortunately it frequently gets very humid here. The window fogs up so much I can’t even see. And when I use the whispers, it immediately comes back and the accumulation of condensation on the outside literally makes it look like I just drove through a rain storm. On top of that, unfortunately when I turn the air down it seems to get even WORSE! I guess because it’s coming out colder. I thought maybe it was an issue with my refrigerant charge but I recovered, vacuumed and factory charged and it didn’t go away.

    As far as this blend door, looks like the whole dang assembly has to be replaced, at least the upper portion. And I’m sure I would need to remove probably the dash board to get access to the assembly? All I need is the 1/4 basketball looking dome thing, the damper itself. What I have been doing is removing motor, then pinching the door/damper and removing it through the bottom of the assembly. Only thing I have to do when doing that is remove the glove box.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Bedford, Texas
    Posts
    2,717
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you can get the door out, just clean up the pieces and lay a little hairy fiberglass and resin over it, let it cure. It'll be stronger than it was to start with lol

    Heat00 actually had a thread before about the windshield fogging up. The first time mine did it, all I could think was "Dang heater core just popped" lol

    Next time it does it, pop it over to defrost for a min on high heat then back to a/c. That'll keep SOME of the condensation down anyhow.

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    434
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher69 View Post
    If you can get the door out, just clean up the pieces and lay a little hairy fiberglass and resin over it, let it cure. It'll be stronger than it was to start with lol

    Heat00 actually had a thread before about the windshield fogging up. The first time mine did it, all I could think was "Dang heater core just popped" lol

    Next time it does it, pop it over to defrost for a min on high heat then back to a/c. That'll keep SOME of the condensation down anyhow.

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    The problem is it’s broken like right at the stem/shaft of the door where it actually connects to the motor. See pic below. Like the door hit it’s resting position and the motor continued to torque and broke plastic (educated guess). The motor sits on the outside of the box and inserts into the shaft of the door. The door itself it “pinched” between the upper and lower portions of the box itself. It kind of locks/sits in a track created by the 2 half’s of the air box. It’s broken right at/in that track on the blend door. So, unfortunately, I have to leave that track on the door completely clear so it can rotate freely in the track on the box. It currently has a bolt with loctite and super glue and all kinds of stuff holding it together but for some reason it still doesn’t hold and the broken shaft spins freely from the door. I don’t know what else to do?? Not sure how I could get fiberglass or resin in there? It basically results in the car not being able to switch between outdoor air and recirculate mode.

    What is this dawn and vinegar stuff all about and how in the world could that do anything? What was the results of Heat00’s thread? I can’t believe this is really how they designed the car... how could fogging up the windshield be a good idea? What’s their idea behind it?





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Bedford, Texas
    Posts
    2,717
    Post Thanks / Like
    JB weld Plastic weld I've found holds better than super glue. Might give that a try.

    It's my understanding the defrost deal was to keep the inside of the windshield from fogging up when the a/c is on. If you put it on feet/ face it doesn't do it as bad.

    Ronan will have to chime in on the vinegar/Dawn deal. I just turn on the wipers when it gets too bad lol

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Stamford, CT
    Posts
    4,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here are my 2 cents...Air blowing on the windshield is normal, but not if the outside of the windshield begins to get condensation on it on humid days and evenings. That means that the cold/hot air blend isn't working properly. In most cases, the dash needs to be taken apart to get to the actuators. If you have to do that, change all the actuators and repair/replace the doors as necessary. Taking the dash apart is a PITA, especially if you don't have a garage to do the work over a couple of days. Otherwise, do what Punisher69 does and turn the wipers on when it gets too bad...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Bedford, Texas
    Posts
    2,717
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by richierevs View Post
    Here are my 2 cents...Air blowing on the windshield is normal, but not if the outside of the windshield begins to get condensation on it on humid days and evenings. That means that the cold/hot air blend isn't working properly. In most cases, the dash needs to be taken apart to get to the actuators. If you have to do that, change all the actuators and repair/replace the doors as necessary. Taking the dash apart is a PITA, especially if you don't have a garage to do the work over a couple of days. Otherwise, do what Punisher69 does and turn the wipers on when it gets too bad...
    Dodge actually designed them this way. It's been the case since 92-93 when they made the full switch to 134a.

    It's inconvenient as crap on humid days but it's better than the windshield fogging up on the inside causing you to have to wipe it down while you're driving. If you've ever driven an old car, you know what I'm talking about.

    There's nothing wrong with the blend doors, don't go ripping the dash apart lol

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by punisher69; 08-22-2018 at 08:42 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Stamford, CT
    Posts
    4,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher69 View Post
    Dodge actually designed them this way. It's been the case since 92-93 when they made the full switch to 134a.

    It's inconvenient as crap on humid days but it's better than the windshield fogging up on the inside causing you to have to wipe it down while you're driving. If you've ever driven an old car, you know what I'm talking about.

    There's nothing wrong with the blend doors, don't go ripping the dash apart lol

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Yup, I'm just about as old as dirt...so I know what you're talking about...

Tags for this Thread

Share This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •