Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ac Compressor

Post Thanks / Like

Ac Compressor

Just installed a new AC Compressor and the Clutch ain’t engaging. Checked all the fuses and made sure all the cables are connected. Now with Relays you can’t really tells if there bad but i switch’s some with the same number and nothing happens. Any idea what it could be ?

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums

Post Thanks / Like
    You could apply 12v right at the compressor to see if it kicks in. You did a leak check and charged the system back up right?
    Likes LouMarq liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope you pulled vacuum on the system before you charged it back up. Air pockets in a/c compressors can make the whole system act funny.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Ac Compressor

Check for proper voltage at wiring harness for ac compressor. You could have a pressure switch or something locking you out or it could be a faulty compressor. Last time I did a car compressor I went through 4 before I got one that actually worked properly and didn’t leak. And pulling a deep vacuum, ideally to less then 500 microns, is required. Also need to properly charge refrigerant to factory specs. You should have also done accumulator as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher69 View Post
    I hope you pulled vacuum on the system before you charged it back up. Air pockets in a/c compressors can make the whole system act funny.

You should see it on a residential system Ac Compressor

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WontStopTheFUnk View Post
    You should see it on a residential system Ac Compressor

Trust me, I have. I've also seen an air pocket settle in the compressor and it either not kick in at all, or burn it up in seconds.

I always pour my oil in the compressor and turn it over a couple times by hand, then add more oil before I ever put it on the car to pull the system down

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello all. So the steps that i took where to remove the faulty ac Compressor from my car while doing this process after disconnecting the Refrigerant and coolant lines the refrigerant line exposed all the Freon our the car. Now i found a guy that recharges the ac on cars and asked if he can bleed/vacuum the car before adding Freon and he agreed. Now i hope this fixes the problem.

Likes punisher69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DBL.DWN View Post
    You could apply 12v right at the compressor to see if it kicks in. You did a leak check and charged the system back up right?
    I haven’t refilled the Refrigerant/Freon when i installed the new Compressor. Now i saw other post that the Compressor will not engaged the clutch if it doesn’t have enough Freon in the system. Is that accurate?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LouMarq View Post
    I haven’t refilled the Refrigerant/Freon when i installed the new Compressor. Now i saw other post that the Compressor will not engaged the clutch if it doesn’t have enough Freon in the system. Is that accurate?
    Yes. Most systems have a low pressure cut out switch. So if the system has too low of pressure, it will not engage the compressor.
    Did you leak test it with pressure (nitrogen) or vacuum?
    You have to vacuum it down to dry the system out no matter what.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gee whiz man you shouldn’t have even tried without filling it with refrigerant lol. Good thing for that low pressure switch Ac Compressor

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello all. Ok i got a scheduled appointment tomorrow to refill my Refrigerant. Now by doing this refill and adding the necessary pressure to activate will activate my ac clutch right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello all. Ok i got a scheduled appointment tomorrow to refill my Refrigerant. Now by doing this refill and adding the necessary pressure to activate will activate my ac clutch right.

I mean it should... but stuff happens... plan for the worst, hope for the best. I would make sure you know how much you need when you get there just in case your guy doesn’t.

Honestly, you got very lucky the system has a pressure switch to keep that compressor off. You would have very likely done damage if it actually had come on. That’s like putting an engine in with no oil or a trans in with no trans fluid and taking it for a spin just to see if it runs... Ac Compressor

Post Thanks / Like

As long as they pull a vacuum on the system, make sure there's not leaks add the proper amount of PAG oil and charge it correctly with 134a, you should be good.

I just hope you're going to a competent A/C person and not some jack leg with an A/C machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher69 View Post
    As long as they pull a vacuum on the system, make sure there's not leaks add the proper amount of PAG oil and charge it correctly with 134a, you should be good.

I just hope you're going to a competent A/C person and not some jack leg with an A/C machine.

I use a craftsman shop vac when I pull a vacuum Ac Compressor

Post Thanks / Like
    Also you can check with a test light at a/c connector if you have power to clutch coil.
    Likes LouMarq, WontStopTheFUnk liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast