Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like

    6.1 heads on a 5.7

    Hey, i have a pre eagle 5.7 and im planning on putting the 6.1 heads on. I have done research and know what all i need. I was wondering if any of yall in here have done it. If so could you tell me what power you gained out of it, how bad the fuel mileage dropped, was there any noticable diffrence? Ive been looking and many talk about it but noone posts their results. Also. For the heads, will the 5.7 valve cover and rocker arms work on the 6.1 heads? Ive got springs and rods but need to know about the rest. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Scat Pack Forums mobile app

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    947
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the stock preeagle heads are 85cc- 6.1 are smaller but larger than Eagle which are 65cc- So you should get a bump in compression. Might be good time to cam it also.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    947
    Post Thanks / Like
    Early 5.7 covers will work as late 57 are taller valve train. Rockers the same.
    Thanks wcal thanked for this post
    Likes troper, wcal liked this post

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tried to post here with little results as well. As of now I have a 2006 pre eagle charger. I have
    fully assembled 6.1 heads
    6.1 intake with all sensors and pcv valve
    6.1 headers, mids, catback
    6.1 Injectors (may or may not use them)
    6.1 pushrods
    6.1 lifters to toss MDS
    6.1 intake gaskets
    6.1 exhaust gaskets
    5.7 3.950" bore cometic head gaskets. .051 thick to bring compression from 11:1 down to 10:4-6 so you can run 91-93 octane

    And diablotoona/johan can email tune you but I'm going to try and run it with my superchip programmer before I have to buy a Diablo. His tunes are 200-700 depending.
    And as far as mileage and power. Looking at 20-40 hp off the compression jump and intake. Plus you will make power after 5500rpm.


    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Likes Beach Goat, wcal liked this post

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like
    So my current build befor heads. I have 6.1 cam with supporting mods, custom tune, headers, mids, and a 3in cat back, cai, 180 tstat, egr delete, and srt hood for cooling purposes. I know im need ticker gaskets but thitek makes the ones i need. I also have a 6.1 intake manifold to go on with the heads.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Scat Pack Forums mobile app

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I tried to post here with little results as well. As of now I have a 2006 pre eagle charger. I have
    fully assembled 6.1 heads
    6.1 intake with all sensors and pcv valve
    6.1 headers, mids, catback
    6.1 Injectors (may or may not use them)
    6.1 pushrods
    6.1 lifters to toss MDS
    6.1 intake gaskets
    6.1 exhaust gaskets
    5.7 3.950" bore cometic head gaskets. .051 thick to bring compression from 11:1 down to 10:4-6 so you can run 91-93 octane

    And diablotoona/johan can email tune you but I'm going to try and run it with my superchip programmer before I have to buy a Diablo. His tunes are 200-700 depending.
    And as far as mileage and power. Looking at 20-40 hp off the compression jump and intake. Plus you will make power after 5500rpm.


    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Are all these mods installed? If so how bad did your mpg drop?

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Scat Pack Forums mobile app

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    France
    Posts
    184
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to add questions

    I'll do this mod as I've complete 6.1 in a box and a complete (lol) 300c wagon AWD 5.7 (french version) in the same Garage

    I think precedent post list all materials needed as I found in numerous topic on head Swap

    My question is for RPM

    How many RPM could handle the stock cranckshaft and pistons with a total 6.1 head Swap including springs, pushrod, and cam properly choose for daily use or daily race
    Hemi pushed to 6500rpm sound like hell and give a lot or power

    How many RPM thé stock rotary could handle ?
    How many WHP do the full rotary remplacement and bore ?
    Is thé complete job worse the WHP ?

    As the headswap is easy , the complete job take many more time and tools

    What's your feeling ?

    Envoyé de mon T3 en utilisant Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    D/FW, Tx
    Posts
    543
    Post Thanks / Like
    Once you replace the valve springs with SRT you can raise the shift points to 6,400 RPM and rev limiter to 6,700 RPM.
    The 6.1 SRT exhaust is totally different then the 5.7 from the exhaust manifolds to the tailpipes.
    My 5.7 with big valve 5.7 heads, shorty headers, and cam is about 400 RWHP. You should be a little less than that.
    BTW factory RWHP is about 270 for a 5.7
    You will need a tuner and an aftermarket tune to make it run right.
    2005 Dodge Magnum RT.
    12/2016 - Inertia big valve heads, Eagle intake, non-MDS lifters, Spartan Plus cam, Shorty headers. 390 RWHP, 390 RWTQ. (Work by Inertia)
    01/2017 - Bilstein shocks, SLP 25% underdrive pulley. s/b 400 RWHP, 400 RWTQ now. (Work by me)
    10/2017 - Replaced engine mounts with 392SRT manual transmission, added police oil cooler, additional PS and Trans coolers, Mishimoto radiator. (Work by me)
    10/2017 - Replaced Torque Converter with FTI 3,200RPM, Installed 3.06:1 Getrag kit, one piece Al DSS DS, Billy Boat 3" Exh.
    11/2017 - Wilwood brakes with 15" front brakes. (Work by me)
    Thanks Gulliver thanked for this post
    Likes Beach Goat liked this post



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just wanna find someone who did it who can tell me the power gains and fuel milage drop. I daily mine but want to do the heads

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Scat Pack Forums mobile app

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Warren, Oh
    Posts
    212
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Feathermerchant View Post
    Once you replace the valve springs with SRT you can raise the shift points to 6,400 RPM and rev limiter to 6,700 RPM.
    The 6.1 SRT exhaust is totally different then the 5.7 from the exhaust manifolds to the tailpipes.
    My 5.7 with big valve 5.7 heads, shorty headers, and cam is about 400 RWHP. You should be a little less than that.
    BTW factory RWHP is about 270 for a 5.7
    You will need a tuner and an aftermarket tune to make it run right.
    How in the world did you gain 130 hp from heads and a cam?
    03 Ram 392 Stroker

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    2,272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisp2493 View Post
    How in the world did you gain 130 hp from heads and a cam?
    Giving the engine what it wants, airflow.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Scat Pack Forums mobile app
    2006 Dodge Charger Daytona TorRed #1354, SRT Heads/Intake - ARH Long Tubes - Spartan Plus Cam - Magnaflow - 3.06 Getrag
    Watch SaabKyle review my old Charger Scat Pack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6OA...ezVy7g&index=3

    I detail cars in the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area! 757-435-4027


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Warren, Oh
    Posts
    212
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach Goat View Post
    Giving the engine what it wants, airflow.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Scat Pack Forums mobile app
    What I’m asking is that dyno proven or a guess. 130 hp wheel hp gain from a heads/cam upgrade seems like a lot, especially with shorty headers

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,640
    Post Thanks / Like
    It does seem like a lot but the 6.1 makes anywhere from 440-480 whp with a good heads/cam setup, I don't see why 400whp would be out of the possibility for slightly less displacement. Especially if you have a cam and supporting hardware that can carry the power up in the higher rpms.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2006 300c SRT8
    PWR Ported Heads | HHP Stage 2R Cam | 3.55 Getrag | GTP Ported Intake Manifold | Kooks Longtubes | Corsa Sport / SRT Resonators | AMG 8 Piston Brake Calipers | Hemituner 6,800 TCM | BT Catch Can | LMI True CAI V2 | Tranzformer | MM 87mm TB | Johan Tuned | REM Adjustable Endlinks & Front/Rear Shock Braces | 33/22mm Front/Rear Sway Bars | Michelin Pilot Sport 4 315/35/20 & 275/40/20 | 10" Widened Oem Wheels | LC-2 Wideband Analog Output to Trinity | Mishimoto Full Aluminum Radiator


  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like
    All about the cam

    Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    D/FW, Tx
    Posts
    543
    Post Thanks / Like
    So was out of town...
    Mods included what is in sig. Note the Eagle intake. It continues to flow more at higher RPM. The stock intake runs out of steam around 5500. So I am shifting at higher RPM which means more power if you have the valve train and flow. Also I added the 25% underdrive pulley. Since the thing turns faster anyway, it lowers the hp put into the belt driven accessories. No problems so far. As far as the gas mileage, it is around 16 in town and 18-19 on the road. Part of the problem is I cannot resist driving it hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Share This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •