Post Thanks / Like

2007 Dodge Charger Daytona - Humming noise coming from middle of dash

It's not a barbershop quartet in the dash, but it's a mild low humming noise which is there when the car is *not running/shut off/key out* and at rest. Just started recently. Sounds like it's coming from behind the radio. Getting out a stethoscope before pulling the dash apart, but any idea what does that?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have a REC radio, it's probably the cooling fan getting ready to fail.

inTune 91 CAI, 180 stat, BB 6dB reso delete,Tranzformer, MDS indicator, ESP/BAS switch. Wire mesh grille, smoked and flashing side markers, 9005 2400k 65W fogs, rear fogs, debadged and demolded, 245/45/20 and 295/40/20 Continental DW's on 9"/10" F/R Viper Replicas, BCR Coilovers, Drake strut brace. Interior accent LED 's. 55/35 tint, BT catch can. LED interior lighting. BT bling, front parking sensors. Rear seat heaters. Color matched tails "MoPar" puddle lights. Custom front lip.
    MyGig 730N, Pyle 9.2" screen, iPod, front and rear cams.
    Thanks thor363 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The radio we have is the factory premium Sat radio without NAV. I think I posted the breakdown of the build sheet here a while back when I was trying to find the amp and whatnot.

Does that happen even when all power is off? No surprise though it's hot as heck here lately!

Is there anyone that repairs these radios. It's still working crisp and loud....so far. Momma loves her loud stuff in the Kermit-mobile.

Edit: I was just out setting the radiator cooling fan speeds to coincide with the lower temp thermostat, and saw that the radar detector was up in the sun being nuked (usually does in glove box or console). When I took it down I actually burned my hand (seriously). I do always tell her to get it covered and out of the sun when it's parked. That being said if I had designed a radio I suppose I'd have a temp controlled cooling fan on it also.
    Last edited by thor363; 08-23-2016 at 01:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    With the key moved, the fan will still run until you open the door to get out. At least it will on the REC and the RER head units. Look at the bottom right of the radio bezel for three letters. This is the "sales code" and the head unit ID.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Montreal300 View Post
    With the key moved, the fan will still run until you open the door to get out. At least it will on the REC and the RER head units. Look at the bottom right of the radio bezel for three letters. This is the "sales code" and the head unit ID.

With the key removed you can even open the door and it still hums. Happens consistently whether started or stopped, key in or key out etc. It's an RAK and the sales code for this was RAKP - RAKP AM/FM Cass/CD 6-Disc MP3 Radio

I'll let you know what I find out when I get it apart. I have to change a blend door later this week anyway.

Lucky me now my Nav radio is losing it's display and controls from my 04 GC Overland too! Must be the heat here!

Thanks Montreal!

Post Thanks / Like
    Saw another thread from 'thyshallsmite' that the blend door hums when it has entirely failed apparently. Blend door is delivered later today. thyshallsmite had the same issue a few years ago apparently.
    Likes Tikibeast liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Update on the issue I had with our 2007 Daytona. The humming noise was the result of a stuck motor in the hot/cold blend door for the drivers side. Best access is by taking the front knee bolster and also the steel sheet panel off the column area, and then you have a reasonable amount of room to work if you're a contortionist. I opened up the old blend door actuator just to see if the gears were wrecked like others had posted, and they are perfect. Unfortunately the motor got hung up somehow, and once out of the case it spins freely. Anyone needs some gears for one of theirs, let me know. If you're that down on your luck, I'll ship them free if you really need them. The replacement unit was cheap from rock. Works just fine now and we have hot AND cold off the drivers side now. ...and that danged humming is gone!

Post Thanks / Like
    having the same issue with a humming from what sounds like right behind the cluster is this the blend door motor you are talking about? is it replaceable without removing the entire dash?
    2006 R/T

K&N CAI
    Magnaflow
    DiabloSport Tune
    Kenwood DVD multi DNX series

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigmanjbmopar View Post
    having the same issue with a humming from what sounds like right behind the cluster is this the blend door motor you are talking about? is it replaceable without removing the entire dash?
    Yes, its described in post 7, I had the same issue and it was the blend door actuator. The photo below is what you will see when the knee bolster and metal plate are removed. You should be able to easily identify the source of the sound before removing and replacing the part.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BM_SRT; 05-17-2018 at 04:30 AM.
    2006 300c SRT8
    PWR Ported Heads | HHP Stage 2R Cam | 3.55 Getrag | GTP Ported Intake Manifold | Kooks Longtubes | Corsa Sport / SRT Resonators | AMG 8 Piston Brake Calipers | Hemituner 6,800 TCM | BT Catch Can | LMI True CAI V2 | Tranzformer | MM 87mm TB | Johan Tuned | REM Adjustable Endlinks & Front/Rear Shock Braces | 33/22mm Front/Rear Sway Bars | Michelin Pilot Sport 4 315/35/20 & 275/40/20 | 10" Widened Oem Wheels | LC-2 Wideband Analog Output to Trinity | Mishimoto Full Aluminum Radiator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BM_SRT View Post
    Yes, its described in post 7, I had the same issue and it was the blend door actuator. The photo below is what you will see when the knee bolster and metal plate are removed. You should be able to easily identify the source of the sound before removing and replacing the part.Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    What do you have to do to get to it!?

Post Thanks / Like
    Remove the driver's side lower knee bolster and remove the metal plate and you will see what is in the image. Then its three bolts, I think either 6, 7 or 8 mm and a wire connector.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to do the cycle through thing and it stopped weird but worked now on ot the blown dash speakers sigh...

Share This Thread