Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tire help

Post Thanks / Like

tire help

yes I know there's a million tire threads... curious what you all think:

I'm nearing the point of needing new tires (WB) so 305/35/20... I have 12k on the current ones which are cooper summer tires... they still have about 4-5/32 left but zero traction especially when it's wet out.

my main question is this, is it better to go all season or summer tire? I'm in florida so all season isn't "needed" but no summer tire past about 5k seem to have any traction and I haven't met a summer tire that goes much beyond 12k in life.. so if they lose traction anyhow, my thought is to get an A/S tire to hope for longer life just to save $$ more than anything..

If I end up with summers again I've got it down to the Indy 500's or the General Gmax as I've had both and both were good just not long lasting when it comes to traction and tread life etc... and yes I understand better performance gives up life but just trying to find some balance of both.

curious as to your experiences....
    '19 Challenger Wide body Scat Pack B5; '19 Scat Pack F8 Green; '18 Audi SQ5 Daytona Grey; '18 Daytona 392; 16 Scat Pack Granite; '15 Durango R/T Blacktop; '14 Volvo S60R Rebel Blue; '12 Audi Q5; '10 Mustang; '08 BMW E90 M3; '07 BMW 335I Active Autowerks ...

Post Thanks / Like
    You don't drive it hard Joey, not hard like Ronan does lol

You can run all seasons and save a little on replacement costs and be fine.

I've got about 9k on this set of Atturos, that's counting the drive to Virginia, the dyno pulls for the build and the drive back home and I still have 6-7/32nds left. They're lasting a LOT longer than I expected (I'm also behaving on the street with them too)

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Likes Heat00 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Look at continental dws-06,they are an a/s tire,this is what I’m using right now and they are holding up well. You will definitely get better traction out of an a/s tire than a summer tire. Summer tires are usually geared towards dry performance,a/s tire is more geared towards all your other conditions,although if you have a boat load of RWHP the only tire for traction would be a streetslick...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher69 View Post

I've got about 9k on this set of Atturos, that's counting the drive to Virginia, the dyno pulls for the build and the drive back home and I still have 6-7/32nds left. They're lasting a LOT longer than I expected (I'm also behaving on the street with them too)

That’s pretty good... but I’m not sure you’ve been behaving lol no one really behaves in a scat do they? Just kidding i am pretty easy on it lately too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chawowwow View Post
    Look at continental dws-06,they are an a/s tire,this is what I’m using right now and they are holding up well. You will definitely get better traction out of an a/s tire than a summer tire. Summer tires are usually geared towards dry performance,a/s tire is more geared towards all your other conditions,although if you have a boat load of RWHP the only tire for traction would be a streetslick...
    Thanks going to check them out now

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher69 View Post

Btw nice Ronan reference where is he at these days?

Post Thanks / Like
    Don’t think they make the conti in 305’s.... can we go to 315’s without any trouble?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes we can! No issues all 4 for us!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    2019 Challenger Pitch Black Scat Pack Widebody; 2019 Ram 2500 Night Edition Delmonico Red Prior: 2015 Charger R/T

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Heat00 View Post
    Btw nice Ronan reference where is he at these days?

Installing his Procharger and trying to find a tuner that's open with the current state of affairs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Heat00 View Post
    That’s pretty good... but I’m not sure you’ve been behaving lol no one really behaves in a scat do they? Just kidding i am pretty easy on it lately too

With the power I have now, I drive like a grandpa on my street tires lol. There isn't a street tire that'll hold when the boost hits.

Post Thanks / Like
    In the 305/35/20 size, they're all summer tires (on TireRack anyways)

I'd go for the G-max. They're 2lbs lighter than the Indy 500's too

If you step up to 315/35/20's, they have the DWS06 (my choice/recommendation) but they're heavier @ 36lbs a tire and they cost more BUT will have a longer tread life (50k warranty)
    Last edited by snobrdrdan; 05-11-2020 at 03:25 AM.
    2019 Charger Scat Pack

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
    In the 305/35/20 size, they're all summer tires (on TireRack anyways)

I'd go for the G-max. They're 2lbs lighter than the Indy 500's too

If you step up to 315/35/20's, they have the DWS06 (my choice/recommendation) but they're heavier @ 36lbs a tire and they cost more BUT will have a longer tread life (50k warranty)
    Actually I just found 2 a/s options on tire rack the bf goodwrench and the coopers. Both are cheaper than the general and indys... I ya r Cooper now but the summers and they were fine but no better or worse than any of the others I’ve had.

I’m curious about the 315’s.... does it actually help at all? Doesn’t it change the overall height causing other issues? Speedometer gearing braking etc or is it not enough change to make any real difference ?

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums

Post Thanks / Like

tire help

Btw I also noticed the weight difference and the generals are cheaper too. I’ve had both of those in 275 and noticed no difference betweeen them in performance or life. Identical on both just my experience... both were actually very quiet and smooth, but I doubt either will last anything like the all seasons?

Post Thanks / Like
    why go for cheap? you didn't buy a cheap car. I had the P-Zero summer tires then BFGoodrich Sport comp 2 on my SRT 392. They didn't have great traction or last long. Then I went with Continental Extreme Sport 2. they stick better than both of them and have a 30k warranty. I had 16k miles on them and they still looked and stuck like new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carnage72 View Post
    why go for cheap? you didn't buy a cheap car. I had the P-Zero summer tires then BFGoodrich Sport comp 2 on my SRT 392. They didn't have great traction or last long. Then I went with Continental Extreme Sport 2. they stick better than both of them and have a 30k warranty. I had 16k miles on them and they still looked and stuck like new.
    I hear you but my thought process is why go expensive when they don’t last . Maybe here they wear quicker with our high temps but I have never gotten more than 12-14k out of any summer tire and driving like grandpa... so I figure why spend double if they don’t last double. I’m on my 4th scat pack and been though a lot of tires, had a set of contis and they were good but didn’t last either. That’s my thought process anyhow. I can’t imagine a summer tire lasting 30k? I’m going to look now but I think they are almost 400 a piece? Indys and General summers are 200 and change

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast