Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Scratches on Pitch Black paint

Can anybody recommend a good product to cover minor scratches on Pitch Black paint ?

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Can anybody recommend a good product to cover minor scratches on Pitch Black paint ?

I had a minor rock chip on my driver side mirror I went to a shop that sells auto body paint. I have PPG store here In town and they sold me a small bottle of touch up paint with a little brush, they just need you paint code from your panel and they will match it up, covers all small nicks and minor scratches pretty good and considering they do match it to your paint from the factory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes [email protected] liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If the scratches are through to the color coat, you should use the oem touch up paint. I mix the clear with the base color at about a 1:4 clear:base ratio and apply with a micro dabber.

After doing it the old way of applying the base, then clear, the mixture is much better because you can buff it to a shine if sanding is done. Most small scratches dont even need any "post-processing" if the paint is applied clean and quick while it still can flow into the scratch or chip.

If you literally want to cover up scratches or larger chips, Color X labs makes a paint match decal (aka Paint Chip Sticker) that looks pretty good, considering how easy the application is.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BM_SRT; 11-01-2019 at 08:37 PM.
    2006 300c SRT8
    PWR Ported Heads | HHP Stage 2R Cam | 3.91 Getrag | GTP Ported Intake Manifold | Kooks Longtubes | Corsa Sport / SRT Resonators | AMG 8 Piston Brake Calipers | Hemituner 6,800 TCM | BT Catch Can | LMI True CAI V2 | Tranzformer | MM 87mm TB | Johan Tuned | REM Adjustable Endlinks & Front/Rear Shock Braces | 33/22mm Front/Rear Sway Bars | Michelin Pilot Sport 4 315/35/20 & 275/40/20 | 10" Widened Oem Wheels | LC-2 Wideband Analog Output to Trinity | Mishimoto Full Aluminum Radiator

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I’ll need to get the proper touch up paint. Was hoping that’d be a last resort and I’d be able to get a product that would easier to apply. But, if I want it done right, I’m willing to do my car justice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies. Looks like I’ll need to get the proper touch up paint. Was hoping that’d be a last resort and I’d be able to get a product that would easier to apply. But, if I want it done right, I’m willing to do my car justice.

Or you can paint the whole part like hood or fender but you are looking to pay a lot more lucky for me my father owns a body shop so when it comes to body and paint he hooks it up even on details or waxing and buffing the paint

Post Thanks / Like

How can you say no to this face.

Post Thanks / Like
    How can yo say to this face Image1572659427.114472.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    How can yo say to this face Image1572659427.114472.jpg

Well all kids look adorable In their parents eyes lol Scratches on Pitch Black paint

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure the scratches went thru the clear coat to the paint? If it’s just surface scratches on the clear than can be buff out

Post Thanks / Like
    My Challenger is the same color. The best thing I did was get it ceramic coded. 2 stage buff then the coating. Probably should have done the front in PPF.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think before going off the deep end, you can get those out with some compound or correcting polish and a buffer? I just bought my son a black charger slightly pre owned and it has scratches and swirls but they will come out... I'm just not sure if I'm going to do all this work myself or have it done by someone... I actually took some megiuars scratch x to a small area and worked a little in by hand and they were already coming out for the most part...
    '19 Challenger Wide body Scat Pack B5; '19 Scat Pack F8 Green; '18 Audi SQ5 Daytona Grey; '18 Daytona 392; 16 Scat Pack Granite; '15 Durango R/T Blacktop; '14 Volvo S60R Rebel Blue; '12 Audi Q5; '10 Mustang; '08 BMW E90 M3; '07 BMW 335I Active Autowerks ...

Post Thanks / Like
    looks like even by hand this can be done... I'm just scared that I might mess it up or that it's too much work .. at least by hand lol. was thinking about a buffer and giving it a shot...How to: Remove Swirls with Meguiar's - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Heat00 View Post
    looks like even by hand this can be done... I'm just scared that I might mess it up or that it's too much work .. at least by hand lol. was thinking about a buffer and giving it a shot...How to: Remove Swirls with Meguiar's - YouTube
    If the scratches are not minor and it went past the clear coat into the paint then no buffing no wax no compound will remove that so I guess the question is how deep are the scratches

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you hang a fingernail in the scratches? If it snags they're too deep to buff out, if not then buff away

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Likes [email protected], Heat00 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher69 View Post
    Can you hang a fingernail in the scratches? If it snags they're too deep to buff out, if not then buff away

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    The scratches are fairly minimal. But, I can distinctly see white in them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast