Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smooth boost

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gapi View Post
    Hard headed aye. You just don't understand it. No problem. Don't take my word for it. Talk with Tony Avina at Edelbrock. There is no light switching on any of the settings. And no boost limiting.
    Smooth boost

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums

Post Thanks / Like
    Heh, nice try. No matter the position when you floor it it slaps open with authority. When the vacuum drops she's open all the way. You're talking to the hand now.
    😁
    2013 Dodge Charger R/T Plus, Edelbrock E-Force 2300TVS 6.8 PSI, 450hp/459tq, Corsa CatBack, 3.06 Wavetrac 215mm Diff, Severe Duty Radiator, Dual Fans, OE Oil Cooler, Pursuit BR9 Brakes. DSS Two Piece Aluminum Tracking Number Received.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gapi View Post
    Heh, nice try. No matter the position when you floor it it slaps open with authority. When the vacuum drops she's open all the way. You're talking to the hand now.
    Smooth boost
    I believe the issue is when rolling into part throttle. Maybe the op can clarify.
    Obviously you want the valve to fast shut when you go full throttle. It’s time to go! Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    If you just look at what the spring does and how it operated the shaft you can clearly see that the spring in different positions isnt going to open the valve all the way with tension on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DBL.DWN View Post
    I believe the issue is when rolling into part throttle. Maybe the op can clarify.
    Obviously you want the valve to fast shut when you go full throttle. It’s time to go! Lol

This..

The biggest difference that smoothed this out for me was cam timing among other things.

Watching log on slow throttle up you would see the cam swing when the light switch went..

Not sure how things will work with new Whipple.

Pretty sure the spring E-force has on the vacuum reg help slow the transition on closing the bypass.
    Last edited by coanan; 05-21-2021 at 08:49 PM.
    13 Chrysler 300S, 4XX stroker, cam motion 232/246 619/619 118 +4
    E-Force TVS2300, DW 65lb inj. 84 +4 TB (to be replaced with)***
    FORE dual return fuel system, AIT 18% OD pulley, 1 7/8 kooks w/hi-flow cats, 3" Magnaflow Cat-back, FTI 2800 stall, Getrag 3.73 Brembo upgrade. Stage one MOPAR springs, XIX X39 22x9 +15 - 22x10.5 +22 with NITTO NT420V 265/35R22 - 295/30R22

***(Whipple Gen 5 3.0 (ordered 4/21/21)) Meth injection, ID 1050X inj. MMX 95mm TB

Post Thanks / Like
    I called Edelbrock about the p/n for the intake boot getting Tony Avina, the supercharger tech rep on the phone finding that boot is close to $200.00. So Don't cut it. A friend was curious wanting one for his SP.

While I had him on the horn I asked about the principal of the 3 settings. His words in layman's terms is the spring does not limit the boost. When you whack the throttle its going to close all the way no matter the springs position.
    All blowers need some kind of management to keep them linear and their idea of it is the vacuum diaphragm to hold it closed under normal driving (ample engine vacuum) and under a load when vacuum drops the diaphragm lets her go and the valve closes.

Most have no idea whats going on with them (but think they do) and the coined phrase "bypass" is actually incorrect. It does not re-route the induction. Its a pressure equalizer valve that is held open under lighter engine loads keeping the pressure on both sides of the screws equal.

So in position 1 she will start building pressure earlier in the power band. Putting it in 2 & 3 just (in Tony's words) adds a little lazyness. Their sweet spot is position 2.

So thinking its a boost level limiter or not is up to. Its a VERY NICE feature/option to have. On three you can save tons of fuel on long trips not having to boost every time to pass or go around slower traffic or leave a stop light in the city you don't have to crawl to keep off the screws.
    They didn't have to do this.

But no two engines run exactly the same and tossing a performance cam in the mix will screw with the vacuum so perhaps the Smooth Boost will come in handy. I didn't count on the "Band-Aid" phrase to stir things up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Renfrick1 View Post
    Yes mine is the same as yours gapi. 1536. I had the spring and I tried the pill to. Who did your tuning?
    My light switch wasn’t bad but it was there and I was tired of it after driving hellcats.
    My Tuner is private, a retired out of the turbo-prop engine industry I'm very fortunate. Getting a tuner that will devote the time required, and is good enough at it to dial in VE tables can be hard to find. The best way is on a steady state dyno. Many just want to optimize WOT spark and timing only looking at VE tables if there is an issue.

My first tune was a different tuner. I put the blower on with the canned Edelbrock tune provided to me by Coanan. My tuner doesn't do from scratch Dyno tunes and the tuner I went with is highly recommended but it didn't turn out too good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Renfrick1 View Post
    Funny. I got that info from edelbrock and watching my boost gage and srtrob who also has a 1536. Ive had mine on since 2012. We both see the same thing. We both lose about 2 psi of boost on 3 then we do on one. When I go racing I disconnect the spring completely because of the lag off the line. What engine do you have. 6.1?
    Wow, position one is the the least of spring preload and the valve should be closing much sooner. I have a stock internal 5.7 running in the high 6's 6.5 mid summer heat to 7.1 cooler weather.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12