Post Thanks / Like

Exhaust Manifolds

So, after searching and Googling, I'm more confused than ever. I'd like to swap out the iron ones on my 09 Charger 5.7 before installing the eForce but want to save the costs of a set of headers/matching catted mids, if possible.

The 6.1 and 6.4 up to '14 are the same save the 6.4 have an o2 bung and the 6.1 doesn't plus they bolt directly to the 5.7 head
    The 6.1/6.4 mid pipes are the same, again, except the o2 bung situation.
    The 5.7 mids won't bolt up to the 6.1/6.4 manifolds w/o major fab.
    The 6.1/6.4 mids will attach to the 5.7 cat back with a little pipe adapter action.

The 15 and newer 6.2/6.4 will bolt up to the 5.7 head but the collector orientation/angle is completely different an don't fit due to the changes needed to fit the 8 spd.
    The 15 and newer 5.7 mids are the larger diameter pipe like the 6.2/6.4 but the flange is different.

So, first question is, did I get all the above info correct?

Secondly, will a 15+ manifold/mid combo fit my car? I remember reading that the manifold might but the mids won't due to changes with the starter and oil filter on the newer ones.

Third, are there any "cross generation" combo's that will work with limited modification? I'm sure one could get any of the above to work together but my fab/welding skills are limited and I don't want to be paying big bucks if I could get away cheaper. I could do a little cutting/clamping but even setting aside my lack of ability, I don't own a welder.

I ask all these questions as the 6.2/6.4 15+ manifolds seem plentiful and cheap even when compared to the older ones whereas decent 6.1/6.2/6.4 mids of any type are difficult to find.

Please help a fat/bald/old man out!

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I will add this..15 up 5.7's have 2.5 mid pipes. even the 17up 5.7 with active exhaust is 2.5 from manifolds to tail pipes .only the tail pipes are 2.75 on 2017 up 5.7 AE cars. I installed 6.4 manifolds and 6.4 mids on my 18 Charger 5.7 R/T and needed a 2.75 to 2.5 reducer to adapt 6.4 mid pipes to the factory exhaust.
    Last edited by MXS67454; 05-01-2020 at 04:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    For what its worth I did a 2018 6.4l swap and kept the 5 speed nag1. The manifolds fit fine under there in my 2006 car. Im selling the 6.4l manifolds if you figure it out and are interested.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2006 BB Chrysler 300C 6.4l Swap
    Tuned By Chris At Hotwireauto, SRT Exhaust/Dynamax Race Bullets, 6&4 Piston Brembos, Lmi V2, Tranzformer, BT Catch Can, SRT Wheels, Street Edge Coilovers, SPC Upper Control Arms/Rear Bushings

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to keep your 5.7 midpipes and only want manifolds/headers, then you are limited to "shorty" style headers. You can get a set of surprisingly cheap stainless shorty headers on ebay for around $150. The name brand ones made by JBA and others will run around $400-500 I believe.

I installed a set of the ebay shorties and liked the fact they bolted up to my factory mid pipes saving me a lot of money on exhaust work.

The only thing to note is that if you do not wrap them, they throw off a lot of heat. On the passenger side, the positive battery cable which goes to the alternator, is directly above the header clipped along the valve cover. The factory looming on this battery cable has melted on my car, so I am not driving it until I can wrap that positive wire up first to insulate it from the heat. I bought a roll of header wrap which I will use to wrap the wire. If I had to do it again, I would install a heat deflector to save that wire, or wrap the headers. I didn't wrap them because apparently the wrap shortens the life of the header. I could lengthen that positive wire and move it out of the way, but I think the wrap will be good enough.
    Last edited by Myckee; 05-01-2020 at 07:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ooops. Just noticed I posted in the incorrect forum. I apologize. Thanks for the help.