Post Thanks / Like

Outer side tire wear question

Hello,

I've developed a slight tire wear issue on the outer side of the drivers front tire. My front end is all stock 2010 SE parts with the exception of:
    -2010 SRT8 shocks & springs
    -Hotchkis sway bar with aftermarket links
    -Baer 6 piston caliper brakes.

*I'm running 275 wide tires on 9" wide wheels.

I've had this set up on the car for 50,000ish miles and this issue has just started to develop over the last 500-1K miles. The tires aren't to the wear bars in the center but in person, it's easy to see the outside is wearing more quickly than the inside. This issue is not happening on the passenger side.

The front end was aligned about 15K ago, just prior to putting these tires on. I'm the only driver of the car and do not recall any traumatic event that would have cause an out of alignment issue.

Before I take it in for an alignment, is there anything recommended I change? The lower ball joint is what 1st comes to my mind.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Scott

It's really hard to tell from the pic.

Dodge exploded view.
    2010 SE
    6.1L motor swap
    Magnacharger
    90MM throttle body
    Custom CIA
    Gutted CATs
    Pypes mufflers
    SHR Viking Nag1
    Pro Torq 3K converter
    ATI flex plate
    SRT suspension
    3.06 Getrag rear end
    Front Baer Pro-Plus brakes
    Rear Brembo brakes
    275/40-20 Mickey Thompson Street Comp tires up front
    305/35-20 Mickey Thompson Street Comp out back
    Best official 1/4 mile ET with time slip 11.566 @ 122.34
    Likes HemifeverAZ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Had same issue search bwoody he makes a kit that resolves this When you do the srt drop kit it induces this wear.

You will see his kits call out the length change when you lower

There notes

Control Arm info:

.120" longer arms: Accommodates LX models Lowered with a 1.0" - 2.0" drop, These arms will adjust you back to Factory Alignment Specifications.
    Fixed control arms: These arms are stock length.
    Made to replace the flimsy pressed sheet metal / Aluminum control arms with rubber bushings. These BWoody arms are constructed of 3/8" thick A36 steel and as always.. polyurethane bushings as well as grease fittings. Our upper control arms are proven to greatly reduce wheel hop, and are the ONLY arms on the market which bend at the same radius as OEM to provide suspensio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Those bwoody arms are for the rear tires and are for adding positive camber after getting too much negative camber from lowering.. He's having front tire wear issues. Ball joints or bushings on that side. It's allowing a bunch of positive camber or not enough negative and wearing the outer edge.
    Likes punisher69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Didn’t catch the front.. I had mind realigned cradle shifted as well had to adjust the coil overs as inner venders outer edge rubbed outer side of no adjusted correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Silly question OP...do you by chance make a lot of low speed 90° turns, as you would say, navigating a parking lot?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Likes Lowlife44 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher69 View Post
    Silly question OP...do you by chance make a lot of low speed 90° turns, as you would say, navigating a parking lot?

Nothing out of the ordinary.

Post Thanks / Like
    That might make sense if it was both sides and the king pin angle was off, but being how much caster these cars have I don't see that wearing just the outside of one tire being anything other than a bushing or ball joint is gone or the alignment has slipped.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    That might make sense if it was both sides and the king pin angle was off, but being how much caster these cars have I don't see that wearing just the outside of one tire being anything other than a bushing or ball joint is gone or the alignment has slipped.
    That caster is what wears the outsides faster if there's a lot of slow tight turns. All the weight is transferred to the inside tire but it's leaning hard on the outside edge.

I know, it doesn't make sense that it doesn't wear the inside as well, but it doesn't.

Since that doesn't seem to be the case, I'd lean towards a broken/ worn ball joint or control arm bushings.