Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

First time at the strip with the new car

Last night I finally made it to the track. Expecting the best outta the challenger. But I felt like I wasn’t getting good times. Beautiful weather last night at the track in Indy. The car is a 2012 Challenger SRT8 A5. With tb, cai, slp cat back, slicks, and a tune. Best I could get was a 12.61 at 111. That was leaving at idle. Every pass that I tired to leave at anything above idle the car felt sluggish off the line. My 60 foot times were horrible 2.0-2.1. My stick shift vette would do 1.8 all day. I’m just confused. Thought for sure this car was a low 12 sec car. Any info will be great. Do I need to put a stall converter in it? Here are the slips from last night. IMG_7162.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to learn the car and how it reacts, comparing it to your vette is apples to oranges...
    2009 Challenger SRT8 TorRed (AKA Tori)
    SRT Max Plus cam, Ported n Polished intake manifold/Heads w/Long Tube Headers by Rich Mack, Edelbrock E-force supercharger, tune by Dave Katz, Cat delete, 3" exhaust w/Magnaflow mufflers 180* T-stat, catch can, Hurst short throw w/pistol grip shifter, Amsoil fluids

06 Magnum R/T AWD

1976 Corvette L82 (gave to my Son)
    Thanks 12str8 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HemiSilva View Post
    You need to learn the car and how it reacts, comparing it to your vette is apples to oranges...
    Yea I’m trying I only got 6 passes last night. Launching an auto car is much different and something I’m not used too. Just didn’t know what is best in these cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 12str8 View Post
    Yea I’m trying I only got 6 passes last night. Launching an auto car is much different and something I’m not used too. Just didn’t know what is best in these cars.

I have the 6 speed and it seems that everytime I go to the track I add something prior so I'm still trying to figure mine out, it's all about learning how your car wants to launch. Just put a supercharger on mine so I know I have a ton to learn and hopefully don't break anything lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn I bet it’s going to fly! I’m not ready to spend that much money on it yet. Trying to get it low 12’s high 11’s. I was told that these cars can do it with minor mods. So trying to get there with out breaking the bank. Maybe a converter will help me. But then again I’m not sure this is my first auto car

Post Thanks / Like
    Try this next time you're at the track...

Deep stage, hard on the brake, press the throttle to about 1200-1500 rpms, and when the last yellow light comes on let off the brake and roll on the throttle.

You have drag radials, it'll feelike it's bogging, but your times will improve.

My best in my Scat Pack Charger on street tires is only [email protected] 1.9 60' time

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    It’s all in your 60ft times. What kind of slick are you running?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ramryder77 View Post
    It’s all in your 60ft times. What kind of slick are you running?
    305/45/18 et street r

Post Thanks / Like

First time at the strip with the new car

As said above:
    Stage, hard on brake, rev the motor up to roughly 1500 ONLY once the ambers start coming down, on the last amber off brake and roll into the throttle (but to be honest you might be able to just mash the peddle since you have very minor mods and on DRs). OR you can just flash the converter once the last amber comes up (sitting at idle and then mash the gas).

Start rear tire pressure at 20psi and work down as necessary for the track conditions. Bump fronts up to 40-45.
    Pull your spare/jack before going, 1/4 tank or less of gas.
    A converter will definitely help your 60’

2013 Challenger R/T, 270 comp cam, BES p&p heads, OCPerformance dual plane, NX gemini plate, JBA longtubes, DSS one piece aluminum driveshaft, 88mm fastman throttle body, meizere electric water pump, 3.91 rear, lakewood drag shocks A2speed front coilovers...too much to list
    Likes 5DR HEMI, punisher69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, figuring out just how long to heat the tires in the burnout box will help. Too much heat will hurt you. Not enough will hurt you. Repetition is what it's all about....and practice. Good luck and have fun.
    2006 Charger Brilliant Black R/T w/R&T Package, 6.1 Arrington based 426 Hemi @ 13:1 compression 2016 Hellcat Charger rear cradle and brakes swap, DSS 4" custom driveshaft, 3.09 Scat Pack rear diff.
    Likes 6.1SilverFox, agoristmike, punisher69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here’s a time slip from this Wednesday got a lot better times but trashed my radials. New ones on order along with a 3000 stall

Post Thanks / Like

Here’s a time slip from this Wednesday got a lot better times but trashed my radials. New ones on order along with a 3000 stall

Wow 23mph! You are blazing through the trap!
    Haha just joking, solid improvement. How did you trash your radials? Too much burnout?

2013 Challenger R/T, 270 comp cam, BES p&p heads, OCPerformance dual plane, NX gemini plate, JBA longtubes, DSS one piece aluminum driveshaft, 88mm fastman throttle body, meizere electric water pump, 3.91 rear, lakewood drag shocks A2speed front coilovers...too much to list

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea haha 23 I was excited and yea I think so. Belt is showing in both so I ordered new ones hopefully be here next week some time. Went to a 305/35/18 to see if that helps. Was told my old tires were to tall they were 305/45/18.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea haha 23 I was excited and yea I think so. Belt is showing in both so I ordered new ones hopefully be here next week some time. Went to a 305/35/18 to see if that helps. Was told my old tires were to tall they were 305/45/18.

At about 2 inches shorter, that will lower (numerically raise) your final drive ratio which should help with acceleration a bit. Look forward to seeing how it works out!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm far from an expert but I don't know why they told you the 305/45/18's were too tall, they are under 29" and you want some side wall to help with the grip. Look at the pro's, they have massive sidewall... Just a thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast