Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    just fyi, you dont need to buy a special socket for those external torx bolts. a 12 point (14 mm i believe from memory) will do it. Its a 12 point something at least. maybe that'll help save some people some money.
    Any known wheel clearance issues with this? like on stock 18 r/t wheels ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedchargerrt View Post
    just fyi, you dont need to buy a special socket for those external torx bolts. a 12 point (14 mm i believe from memory) will do it. Its a 12 point something at least. maybe that'll help save some people some money.
    Any known wheel clearance issues with this? like on stock 18 r/t wheels ?
    You're probably right that another will work, but in this case, where you're working it a bit at a time over the four bolts, and applying significant torque to them at the end, I'd really recommend getting the right one. What's $8 on top of the rest of this project?

And yeah, the stock 18's won't fit. I found out last night that neither will the chrome-clad 20's. Few 18's will fit such as the Borbets, though Borbet also makes a 17 that will clear them. You can put the 17" track wheels from Bogart/HHP on them for the track. They were purpose-built to fit.

- Click above for my HEMI Registry page -

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Ok. Great write up and it honestly doesn't look too hard to do. I'm good with the hands.

Here are some questions for you.

Can I swap regular RT knuckles onto an SRT as easily as this? From doing the swap yourself, what do you think would be an issue?

I want to get rid of these Brembo's. Do you have your RT knuckles still available? If so would you sell? I'll take them off your hands if the swap is possible onto an SRT.
    Dislikes USMC Rigs disliked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bx Tpr View Post
    Ok. Great write up and it honestly doesn't look too hard to do. I'm good with the hands.

Can I swap regular RT knuckles onto an SRT as easily as this? From doing the swap yourself, what do you think would be an issue?

I want to get rid of these Brembo's. Do you have your RT knuckles still available? If so would you sell? I'll take them off your hands if the swap is possible onto an SRT.
    tired of the dust? might be better off just getting different pads. personally, i would want to keep the Brembos for better stopping power.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bx Tpr View Post

No worries. The only tricky part is that rear spring link, and the sleeve that gets pressed in there. The factory service manual says you have to use a special tap to cut threads into it so you can use another special tool to extract it - and then replace it. I think that's bunk. You can see from the pictures above that it's unnecessary to do any of that. But you will need to squeeze that sleeve away from the opening a touch (on the knuckles you're swapping ON), to be able to get the spring link bushing in there. Apart from that, it's a slam dunk.

You will make someone's day if you sell a complete SRT Brembo setup, with knuckles. It's hard to find that way. You'll have a bunch of offers, if I can predict the future.

And you could ask for their R/T knuckles in exchange, and then pop the Big Wilwood kits on there, no worries.

I promised mine to a friend, but we may not need them - I just have to confirm that the R/T and SXT knuckles are compatible - I believe they are. If so, I'll sell 'em to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fnkychkn View Post
    tired of the dust? might be better off just getting different pads. personally, i would want to keep the Brembos for better stopping power.

It isn't because of the dust. I want to upgrade the Brembo's and go with a front and rear WillWood kit. I can't do this easily with the SRT knuckles.

Also the Brembo's we have are nothing compared to REAL Brembo calipers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    No worries. The only tricky part is that rear spring link, and the sleeve that gets pressed in there. The factory service manual says you have to use a special tap to cut threads into it so you can use another special tool to extract it - and then replace it. I think that's bunk. You can see from the pictures above that it's unnecessary to do any of that. But you will need to squeeze that sleeve away from the opening a touch (on the knuckles you're swapping ON), to be able to get the spring link bushing in there. Apart from that, it's a slam dunk.

You will make someone's day if you sell a complete SRT Brembo setup, with knuckles. It's hard to find that way. You'll have a bunch of offers, if I can predict the future.

And you could ask for their R/T knuckles in exchange, and then pop the Big Wilwood kits on there, no worries.

I promised mine to a friend, but we may not need them - I just have to confirm that the R/T and SXT knuckles are compatible - I believe they are. If so, I'll sell 'em to you.
    Thanks a million Bud!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump For a Book MArk

Magnum Owners Club Member #1430

Current Mods: 20" Chrome Clads,R/T Powerslot Rotors,R/T Calipers,Diablosport Tuner,JBA Shorty Headers,Big Bully Intake(FREAKINN AWESOME), Injunwiz's Stock R/T Dual Exhaust, SRT Suspension, Debadged.

www.Facebook.com/stuntin86

Post Thanks / Like
    This info is priceless, it made my swap so easy. Thanks for all of your detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did I read this correctly, the stock chrome clads will not work with this set up. I just got a complete front end kit, I hope I can just get spacers and be done with this, for now...
    Last edited by chargeragain; 10-21-2009 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Update information
    08 HO Daytona #1254 (Traded off 11/04/12)
    Inertia cam 112LSA/214/222, port matched 5.7 Inertia performance heads , 6.1 timing chain tensioner w/ Crower timing set /advanced 2*, 6.1 intake manifold and injectors, Magnaflo 6.1 high flow cats/mids and catback exhaust, FTI 3200 stall 'verter, SLP underdrive pulley, Innovate LC-1, Johan toon, 180* t-stat, BT t-stat housing, Silver box shift kit, BT EGR block off, 87MM TB, and BT catch can.

08 B5 Super Bee #837 Sold , 14 Challenger SRT Core, White. Sold
    15 Challenger SRT, Jazz blue/Sepia. (Ordered, 11/17/14 -Delivered 1/9/15)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chargeragain View Post
    Did I read this correctly, the stock chrome clads will not work with this set up. I just got a complete front end kit for 575.00, I hope I can just get spacers and be done with this, for now...
    You can do it with spacers, but they'd need to be thick ones - at least 1/2" or so.

The chromeclads are MUCH thicker spokes, face to inside, and they definitely make hard contact with the Brembo caliper well before the wheel touches the hub.

Post Thanks / Like
    Junior, you never fail to amaze me. AWESOME WRITEUP DUDE!

I hope I can do this or the Wildwoods one day!! Only a few more payments on the RT!
    05 "Shagwagon" R/T
    Go USF Bulls!
    Hemi Registry #000514

"The biggest drawback of kiteboarding is the adverse effects it has on getting anything else done."

Post Thanks / Like
    this write up helped me to prepare for the swap that my friend & I completed last week with a complete set I got from cleveland pick a part.

we had a couple problems:
    1. getting the parking brake wire out. man what a pain in the butt.
    2. the arm attached from the front spindle to just behind the front bumper just wouldn't come out using a ball joint seperator because the gap was too wide so we removed the arm also & took care of it off the car.
    3. the sleeve on the srt hub inthe rear would not slide back to allow proper fitment. it was rusted in place & would not move so we had to shave a little off.

Posted via LXFMobile
    Likes USMC Rigs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Are the dust shield a direct bolt on up front? I read there wasn't a difference from the R/T to SRT but I'm curious why? Isn't the SRT rotor larger?

Post Thanks / Like
    I reused my RT shields up front b/c my set didnt come with them. There was no fitment problem at all.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Share This Thread