Post Thanks / Like

Write-up on AWD system design?

Can somebody point me to a good write-up on the Magnum AWD system? There are a few basic designs for AWD out there such as true full time AWD with three geared differentials, Haldex type FWD/RWD until slip is detected, torque vectoring, etc. What does the Magnum have?
    Likes Pale Rider liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The Magnum is running Mercedes second generation 4matic, which is full time AWD with three differentials. The power is split 40\60, 60 to the rear. In theory slippage is delt with by the ESP applying the brakes individually to a wheel that is spinning.

The AWD transmission is like Arnold Schwarzenegger, made in Austria, but thoroughly American!
    Likes Johnsand liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    2005-2008 LX AWD cars use the Magna-Steyr MS140 full-time all-wheel-drive system, which provides 62% of the engine's torque to the rear axle and 38% to the front, at all times.
    "Many true sports cars can be outrun by a powerful sedan." - Sir William Lyons, Chairman, British Leyland

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zlatarog View Post
    The Magnum is running Mercedes second generation 4matic, which is full time AWD with three differentials. The power is split 40\60, 60 to the rear. In theory slippage is delt with by the ESP applying the brakes individually to a wheel that is spinning.

The AWD transmission is like Arnold Schwarzenegger, made in Austria, but thoroughly American!
    Some people have funny ideas about what a differential is. To me, it's a purely geared device that can have additional features such as anti-slip clutches, a torsen device, or a locker device. One such device is the what is in the center of the Magnum's AWD system?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GasTungstenArc View Post
    Some people have funny ideas about what a differential is. To me, it's a purely geared device that can have additional features such as anti-slip clutches, a torsen device, or a locker device. One such device is the what is in the center of the Magnum's AWD system?
    Here to answer my own question. It is indeed three open differentials. That is a major plus to me!