Post Thanks / Like

Front differential leak

Posting this here because it is specific to 05-08 AWD cars, 09+ should be similar.

I had gear oil leaking where the front passenger side cv axle goes into the differential. I couldn't find any info on how to fix the leak so I figure I'll share what I learned.

Parts and tools needed:
    Drive Shaft Axle Seal 05143144AA
    75w-90 Synthetic gear oil
    Seal puller
    Seal driver

The leak never dripped on my garage floor. Most of the gear oil was captured by the belly pan

This is what the side of the front differential looked like after pulling the cv axle

I used a seal puller and seal driver from Harbor Freight to remove and install the new seal. Both tools worked like a champ.

My hands were covered in oil most of the time so I took these photos after the repair. The seal driver from HF did not come with instructions, just a handle and bunch of different sized drivers. I don't know if this was the right way, but what I did was stack a driver slightly larger than the seal and a driver that fit inside the seal to center it.

I used the slightly larger driver to drive the new seal flush with the case while the smaller driver kept the seal from flopping around.

Forgot to take pics after the repair, but this is a pic of the old seal after I wiped away the oil and grime so you can get an idea what it should look like after the install.

The front differential does not have a drain so the old fluid needs to be suctioned out and refilled with 600ml of 75w-90 gear oil. Since I changed the fluid last year, I topped it off with about 140ml until it dripped out of the fill hole.
    2006 Black Magnum RT AWD - Sidewinder Cam * Ported Heads * Edelbrock Shorty Headers * Cherry Bomb Vortex Cat Back * SLP Dual-Wall tips * Volant CAI * Diablo Trinity * Johan Tune * KW V2 * 2013 Dodge Charger 19" AWD Wheels *

2010 Black Jeep Commander Limited
    Thanks Carpaltomo, cleary524 thanked for this post
    Likes Carpaltomo, cleary524 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice write up Rotty. Been a long time! Still have your AWD I see....me too! Haven't had any front diff leaks yet (125k mi), but I did change the diff fluid at about 60k miles on the odometer back in 2010 or so. Still no visible leaks on mine....just a torn CV boot on the drivers side (2nd time). Easy enough to replace however, just need to get around doing it.

Thanks for this write up. I have a seal puller, just not the driver. Can't see why you couldn't just use a block or something flat and lightly pound the new seal back in?

Cheers buddy. Glad to see some old Mag peeps still around.
    2005 Magnum RT AWD 344AWHP/358AWTRQ
    FRI Sidewinder Cam, Johan Tune, Edelbrock Headers, JBA Hi-Flo Cats, Magnaflow Catback, 180* T-stat, aFe Stg II CAI, 85mm Throttle Body, SLP 25% UDP, Catch Can, Taylor Shortys, Freak351 Trans Box , Eibach Pro Kit Springs & R1's. Interior, Engine & "M" Emblems by Billet Tech, R/T Emblems, Magnum R/T Grille, Black Heads & Tails, Eyelids