Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Full time 05-08 to part time 09-up t case swap?

Hey guys, I just got my 300c in november. It's a 2008 awd. I've been trying to find out if anyone has successfully swapped in the part time system into the 08 and older cars. From what I've gathered i would need the tcase and some form of computer to control it (stock from an 09?) and I would need the axle disconnect (factory replacement parts?) I'm assuming it's not that easy or cost effective or it would be easier to find info. Am I even close with this? Everything I have owned prior to this was built in the 80's or 70's and were either 4x4s or camaros and mustangs.
    Likes jross239 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to know as well.

Even better, I would like to know if I can completely get rid of the AWD system

2007 Steel Blue SXT magnum (EURO 300 Conversion)- 300 CSRT front end, 3G splitter, 300 SRT dash, Clazzio leather seat covers, R/T brakes, R1 concepts drilled and slotted rotors, Vortech V3 sc, Trufiber cf hood, MSRT wheels, air ride, KWv2 Coil Overs, carbon fiber and billet under hood goodies, rear hatch mod, Intune, LED Concepts halos, tinted windows, 22" black Velocity wheels, 22x9.5 USW wheels, RT exhaust
    Future mods: Estate rear bumper Intercooler Inertia big valve heads 1.2 cams JBA shorties rear diff SRT seats stereo work wood floor trunk New retrofit headlight VES center console

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jross239 View Post
    I would like to know as well.

Even better, I would like to know if I can completely get rid of the AWD system

Trade the car in on a new Scatpack.

Post Thanks / Like
    I enjoy not having a car payment right now.
    Can't get a Scatpack Magnum either ;-)
    I would go for a 300 though

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can wait until next spring I plan on buying the transfer case and seeing if I can make a standalone module to manually control the AWD on/off system (since the OEM module is tied into every module in the car, so you'd likely have to swap the whole harness/modules from a 09+), because I'm planning on building power with mine and so far a cryotreated 09 case is running faster than the current LX AWD record on here that is running a 05-08 case, so it must be stronger. From what I've found so far, it's just a matter of figuring out how much power to send to the wires on the transfer case to engage the clutch.

2008 Dodge Magnum SXT AWD - Daily Driver
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD - Weekend Toy
    2012 Dodge Avenger R/T - Daily Driver

Performance mods: Edge 3200 Stall, HP Tuners, SLP LM2, Custom Dual CAI, BCRacing Coilovers, R1 Concepts brakes, Tranzformer, HemiTuner TCM, Paramount Stage 2 Valve Body, Borg Warner Transfer Case
    Other: 2008 SRT Fascia, Road and Track Seats

60' - 1.95
    1/4 - 13.97 @ 99.7MPH

Likes jross239 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Would be awesome to disengage the clutch full time.
    I'm interested in this project

Post Thanks / Like
    So I found a company that does cryotreating on motorsports stuff, and I may end up doing more than just the transfer case. They can cryo treat a complete v8 engine for around $600, and from what the increased quality and durability should be I think it would be very much worth it in less rebuilds to freshen up the engine.

http://www.300below.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry about the delay, I totally forgot about this thread hahaha. Drag_racer I'm definitely interested in how that plays out. From what I've gathered since I posted the first time, The 44-40 will be awd all the time if it's left un-plugged. in that case I would just need to get the front axel disconnect from the 09 and up model. Apparently the disconnect runs off of a single relay that completes a ground when the transfer case sends its signal. Now the standard power split for the 44-40 is 68-32 vs our 62-38 split. Granted I can find the parts I'm going to try and rag tag the disconect to a switch that completes the grounded relay. the main problem I can see creeping up is the wheel speed sensors. I might try and piggy back those off of the rear sensors. since out current transfer case isn't connected to any sensors in the car itself, it should even realize something has changed.

Post Thanks / Like
    That was my whole idea. Since the 05-08 one isn't even looking for anything from the t-case itself, it won't require any modifications to the OEM system.

I'm also going to be running a staggered setup on the car too, front will be staying at a 245/45/20. The rear I will be going with either a 275/40/20 or a 315/35/20 since all 3 are identical diameters. Since my car is lowered and I can't get it past 1.5 degrees of camber even with camber bushings, I've been tossing around the idea of swapping in the RWD cradle from my parts car into it, and replacing all the arms with adjustable arms where available so I can correct that camber closer to 0 especially if I end up running the 315/35/20 tires. I'll be ordering custom wheels so I'll just have the rears ordered with RWD offset.

I'm not going to mess with the front axle disconnect, just the transfer case.

Oh and btw, the Driveshaft Shop can make new front axles if you send them an OEM set as a template. Not sure if everyone would have to do that or only the first person so they have that design there. I just happen to have some old axles here that I could send them.

We will see what the currency conversion looks like next spring though, might only do the transmission and transfer case next year since the dollar is really poor right now, if it's back at par or close to it I'll try and do the entire drivetrain minus engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    *BUMP*
    Any further news on the AWD dis-connect experiment?

VERY interested to see what can be done.
    2006 300C AWD
    Current mods:
    Cylinder heads shaved .030, ported & polished | Comp Tri-Power Xtreme 246H cam with 6.1 valve springs and pushrods | SRT shortie headers
    MDS Delete | Cat delete | Suitcase muffler delete | EGR delete | Dual CAI | TranZformer | 392 AIT probe | Oil catch can | 180* t-stat
    Custom Predator tune by DiabloToona | LED halos | Eibach Lowering springs | Slotted & Drilled rotors with ceramic pads | 22" rims

Near future mods:
    Intake hood scoops from 2011 Challenger SRT grafted to stock hood.
    High flow catless exhaust system

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 2010 nag 1 and transfer case out of a rt charger on its way so i will know hopefully in April when i have time to install it

I'm looking forward to being able to enter in burnout contests

Post Thanks / Like
    drag_racer: Do you know if the '10 transmission will work in our older wired cars? Or is simply switch out the sensors, etc? I am asking because I remember reading here at one time that the cbus etc changed after '08?

5.7L Hemi Registry #1542
    '06 R/T AWD - Legmaker "Frankentake" IV Design
    255/55R18 Tires on '10 Charger AWD Wheels, Pappa John Shifter, Parrot Blue Tooth, Mopar Hidden Hitch & 7 Way Connector

Post Thanks / Like
    We will see. From what I can find, the TCM is the same through all the years so I'm assuming it should work? Certainly can't be worse, my current trans won't shift into 4th. If it won't work, I'll keep it for my other project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know if the Borg Warner Transfer Case requires power to go into 2wd or 4wd? I thought I read it requires power to go to 2wd mode. Also interested if the front axle disconnect (FAD) is required with this setup or it'll "crab walk"?

Wanted to share this article I found: http://www.atraonline.com/gears/2009/2009-03/2009_3_38.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
    Does anyone know if the Borg Warner Transfer Case requires power to go into 2wd or 4wd? I thought I read it requires power to go to 2wd mode. Also interested if the front axle disconnect (FAD) is required with this setup or it'll "crab walk"?

Wanted to share this article I found: http://www.atraonline.com/gears/2009/2009-03/2009_3_38.pdf
    Since you have a front differential, no. The article is a bit suspect as they talk about a rear differentail controler which does not exist and shows a picture of a 2009 Magnum which also does not exist.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread