Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 59
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta | Brigham City, Utah
    Posts
    1,088
    Post Thanks / Like
    First I’ll see if the car will even drive or the computers will freak out like last time.


    Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums
    05 Magnum AWD SXT Hemi Swap
    instagram.com/hemisxt



  2. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Old Hickory, TN
    Posts
    14,455
    Post Thanks / Like
    It won't move. If you hold the front brakes with a line lock, you can burn the rear tires.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,458
    Post Thanks / Like
    The rear tires spin faster than normal when awd gen1 burnout is happening because the components spin in the t case that normally dont spin fast but rotate to accommodate turning etc

    The gen1 is as noted an mechanical system, but is the same sun planet setup as a simple 3 speed trans depending on which shaft is locked, driven or driving
    Dodge Magnum RT AWD MDH=Jan 19th 2005 7-8pm Owned from NEW

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Old Hickory, TN
    Posts
    14,455
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulFix View Post
    The rear tires spin faster than normal when awd gen1 burnout is happening because the components spin in the t case that normally dont spin fast but rotate to accommodate turning etc

    The gen1 is as noted an mechanical system, but is the same sun planet setup as a simple 3 speed trans depending on which shaft is locked, driven or driving
    No, read this write-up.

    The Transfer Case - how it works

  5. #35
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,458
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am correct, the first paragraph in your link which I first read 10 years ago says "The transfer case in the AWD is based on the Ravigneaux planetary gearset. This type of gearset is commonly used in automatic transmissions, notably Lexus and Mercedes and some hybrids"

    I was quoting you!!

    yes there is no ring gear, but that is irrelevant as the dual sun gears act in a similar fashion locking the 2 outputs together mechanically

    Your original description from 2007 in the link is very informative


  6. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Old Hickory, TN
    Posts
    14,455
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulFix View Post
    I am correct, the first paragraph in your link which I first read 10 years ago says "The transfer case in the AWD is based on the Ravigneaux planetary gearset. This type of gearset is commonly used in automatic transmissions, notably Lexus and Mercedes and some hybrids"

    I was quoting you!!

    yes there is no ring gear, but that is irrelevant as the dual sun gears act in a similar fashion locking the 2 outputs together mechanically

    Your original description from 2007 in the link is very informative

    The absence of the irng gear is the key difference from automatic transmissions. Perhaps I am nit picking.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Northwest, RI
    Posts
    5,677
    Post Thanks / Like
    All this great information. Was unaware you could lick the front and the rears would let loose
    2005 Magnum RT AWD 344AWHP/358AWTRQ
    FRI Sidewinder Cam, Johan Tune, Edelbrock Headers, JBA Hi-Flo Cats, Magnaflow Catback, 180* T-stat, aFe Stg II CAI, 85mm Throttle Body, SLP 25% UDP, Catch Can, Taylor Shortys, Freak351 Trans Box , Eibach Pro Kit Springs & R1's. Interior, Engine & "M" Emblems by Billet Tech, R/T Emblems, Magnum R/T Grille, Black Heads & Tails, Eyelids

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    72
    Post Thanks / Like
    I test drove an 06 RT awd the other day and tried to do a brake stand...wasn't having it. So i'm on board with the fact that there is a planetary involved, so the front doesn't HAVE to spin...but, i'm totally thinking that line lock is needed to do a rear wheel burnout. kinda off topic of if a 09+ case can swap in, and perhaps a 2wd/4wd toggle switch be installed...that'd be the real subscription reason to this thread.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Old Hickory, TN
    Posts
    14,455
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnymac2k6 View Post
    I test drove an 06 RT awd the other day and tried to do a brake stand...wasn't having it. So i'm on board with the fact that there is a planetary involved, so the front doesn't HAVE to spin...but, i'm totally thinking that line lock is needed to do a rear wheel burnout. kinda off topic of if a 09+ case can swap in, and perhaps a 2wd/4wd toggle switch be installed...that'd be the real subscription reason to this thread.
    It could be done, but why would you want to, what would you gain?

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    72
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by done View Post
    It could be done, but why would you want to, what would you gain?
    I personally have no skin in the game, as i don't own an AWD magnum. I searched long and hard for one that was clean, for what i considered a fair price, and ended up with a LOADED Jeep commander that was 50K new, for less $ than i would have had in a semi-clean magnum. Seems every used magnum with a hemi and AWD for under 10K has been absolutely thrashed its entire life, or, someone thinks its worth more than an SRT8. badass cars yes, wish i found one, but I'm not interested in paying 10K for something 14 years old with 150K miles on it.

    onto your question, of why i would want to be able to activate AWD via switch? I'm thinking the MPG savings would be greater than any bolt-on go fast parts on the shelf. appears the street strip guys enjoy doing burnouts, or at least cleaning the tires off at the track if you can't avoid the waterbox. maybe save some wear and tear on some of the front suspension and axle components? Thats all i can think of.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Old Hickory, TN
    Posts
    14,455
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnymac2k6 View Post
    I personally have no skin in the game, as i don't own an AWD magnum. I searched long and hard for one that was clean, for what i considered a fair price, and ended up with a LOADED Jeep commander that was 50K new, for less $ than i would have had in a semi-clean magnum. Seems every used magnum with a hemi and AWD for under 10K has been absolutely thrashed its entire life, or, someone thinks its worth more than an SRT8. badass cars yes, wish i found one, but I'm not interested in paying 10K for something 14 years old with 150K miles on it.

    onto your question, of why i would want to be able to activate AWD via switch? I'm thinking the MPG savings would be greater than any bolt-on go fast parts on the shelf. appears the street strip guys enjoy doing burnouts, or at least cleaning the tires off at the track if you can't avoid the waterbox. maybe save some wear and tear on some of the front suspension and axle components? Thats all i can think of.
    You still have the weight of the transfer case/front wheel drive which make up the MPG difference. Other than the front axles, the front suspension is no more prone to wear. The axles themselves are similar to the rear axles and contribute little to friction loss. Having done over 5,000 passes, I have never had a desire to do a burn out to clean tires. On 25 different tracks, I have never seen a waterbox I could not avoid.

    So is an AWD a good track car? Well it worked for me as a bracket racer, but then I have seen stick shift, fox body Mustangs work also. You just have to learn your car and how to drive it. If you want a 10 second car, look elsewhere.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta | Brigham City, Utah
    Posts
    1,088
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by drag_racer View Post
    When I had the transfer case out of the car, I could hold the front output and spin the rear. Or vice versa. If I only turned it without holding the other one stationary they would both spin. From what I have read before, the best way to explain it is it works like an open differential where the 09+ one has an electronic clutch to engage the front drive, which should mean when engaged both the front and rear must turn so no burnouts with a line lock.
    Quick update. I was under my car tonite and held the front axle still. The front wheels still turned.


    Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    71
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was it ever confirmed what parts are needed to swap in the 09+ transfer case? Transfer case and rear driveshaft is what I have seen so far.

    I am about to start this swap. So far, I found a few shorter bolts between the trans/transfer case are needed, and some sort of controller. I'm thinking of just a 5V switched power to engage/disengage clutch.
    Likes KYUUBI liked this post

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    71
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well the 09+ 5.7L transfer case is an inch longer which we knew. But... The flange has a wider bolt pattern, which means the driveshaft has a wider bolt pattern, so 09+ 5.7 AWD driveshaft will not mate to the 05-08 5.7 awd differential.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    71
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another hiccup, the output shaft on the 2006 transmission is too long for the new 09+ transfer case... I think the end can be cut down to fit.
    Last edited by jefo; 01-03-2021 at 03:02 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Share This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •