Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by done View Post
    Since you have a front differential, no. The article is a bit suspect as they talk about a rear differentail controler which does not exist and shows a picture of a 2009 Magnum which also does not exist.
    There's a few items in the article that tell it was created before the announcement of discontinuing of the Magnum and perhaps the system was finalized.

So you are saying there is no front differential on the '09 AWD cars? I don't think that is what you meant just clarifying. I believe the front axle disconnect is to release the front differential so it does not create as much drag for additional fuel savings.

I guess the big question here is if the B&W transfer case energizes to become AWD or RWD? If it is in AWD with no power supplied then all you guys looking for a more heavy duty transfer case are in luck assuming it does not have a binding issue without the FAD setup.
    We'll have to wait until drag_racer returns home to see if the transfer case mountings (transmission & drive shafts) are different from the '08 & previous years.

5.7L Hemi Registry #1542
    '06 R/T AWD - Legmaker "Frankentake" IV Design
    255/55R18 Tires on '10 Charger AWD Wheels, Pappa John Shifter, Parrot Blue Tooth, Mopar Hidden Hitch & 7 Way Connector

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
    There's a few items in the article that tell it was created before the announcement of discontinuing of the Magnum and perhaps the system was finalized.

So you are saying there is no front differential on the '09 AWD cars? I don't think that is what you meant just clarifying. I believe the front axle disconnect is to release the front differential so it does not create as much drag for additional fuel savings.

I guess the big question here is if the B&W transfer case energizes to become AWD or RWD? If it is in AWD with no power supplied then all you guys looking for a more heavy duty transfer case are in luck assuming it does not have a binding issue without the FAD setup.
    We'll have to wait until drag_racer returns home to see if the transfer case mountings (transmission & drive shafts) are different from the '08 & previous years.
    No, I did not say that there was no front diff, just the opposite. Read it again. I wonder if the front and the rear drive shafts are the same in the new style as in the old style.

Explanation here: http://www.lxforums.com/board/showth...009-AWD-system
    Last edited by done; 03-29-2016 at 07:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was home this last week but never got a chance to even start on the trans install (That's happening April 15th). However, the trans was in the garage and ready to go

The transmission was in park, and the rear output would only turn about a 1/4" before stopping (so it's direct to the trans it would appear). It did turn the front output that 1/4" as well, but if I went and tried to spin the front output it spun freely. So when NOT energized it seems as though it is direct drive to the rear, then the clutch is electronically engaged to engage the front output.

So my plan is to have the trans in the car by April 18th, but it may take a little bit before I get the wiring figured out to engage AWD, so I may be running in RWD mode for a little bit.

2008 Dodge Magnum SXT AWD - Daily Driver
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD - Weekend Toy
    2012 Dodge Avenger R/T - Daily Driver

Performance mods: Edge 3200 Stall, HP Tuners, SLP LM2, Custom Dual CAI, BCRacing Coilovers, R1 Concepts brakes, Tranzformer, HemiTuner TCM, Paramount Stage 2 Valve Body, Borg Warner Transfer Case
    Other: 2008 SRT Fascia, Road and Track Seats

60' - 1.95
    1/4 - 13.97 @ 99.7MPH

Thanks Snuffy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the update and letting me know I was wrong about the no power being 2wd not awd.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I got the old transmission out and the new one ready to go in. Measured the new transfer case.....1 3/8" longer than the 05. So now I gotta order a new driveshaft. Wasn't wanting to spend $1500 right now so unless I can find a used OEM one right away and order a 1-piece in the fall I guess I will upgrade that too lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by drag_racer View Post
    So I got the old transmission out and the new one ready to go in. Measured the new transfer case.....1 3/8" longer than the 05. So now I gotta order a new driveshaft. Wasn't wanting to spend $1500 right now so unless I can find a used OEM one right away and order a 1-piece in the fall I guess I will upgrade that too lol
    I'd love to know if this went anywhere?
    Likes jross239 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    All I know is this- disconnect the front shaft in a Gen1 AWD and you simply don't move. I tried it during my hemi swap.
    05 Magnum AWD SXT Hemi Swap
    instagram.com/hemisxt

Post Thanks / Like
    So to again confirm that you won't go anywhere if disconnecting 1 of the driveshafts with the 05-08 case.....I have the tranzformer on my 05, and I can use the line lock to lock the front brakes and the car will in fact do a burnout.

Still haven't got a driveshaft yet. Was thinking of getting a 1 piece, but may just try the salvage yards to get one out of a 09 charger or something as traction is starting to become an issue running 1.9x 60'.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought the transfer case was all mechanical on these? With the only slip being in the diffs?...apparently not if you can line lock the fronts and do a burnout? Where is it slipping when that happens? Is the t case not gears and a chain? Opposed to a fluid coupler...?soooo many questions. Sorry lol

Post Thanks / Like
    When I had the transfer case out of the car, I could hold the front output and spin the rear. Or vice versa. If I only turned it without holding the other one stationary they would both spin. From what I have read before, the best way to explain it is it works like an open differential where the 09+ one has an electronic clutch to engage the front drive, which should mean when engaged both the front and rear must turn so no burnouts with a line lock.

Post Thanks / Like
    At around 3:34. My car (05 R/T AWD Magnum). Stock 05 transfer case with Tranzformer and line lock engaged

https://www.facebook.com/performance...0786290963974/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mind blown lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by drag_racer View Post
    At around 3:34. My car (05 R/T AWD Magnum). Stock 05 transfer case with Tranzformer and line lock engaged

https://www.facebook.com/performance...0786290963974/
    Wait wait wait.... You simply installed a line lock and did that burnout with regular everyday Gen 1 AWD?????? And nothing blew up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Awd is mechanical on these cars...so I'm equally surprised...

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m gonna check on this again. I’ll disconnect my front drivetrain again and see what happens. Last time I did it I was in the middle of my swap so maybe something different was off- but seeing that burnout is very strange for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Share This Thread