Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Speaker upgrade for Magnum's Boston Acoustic system

OK,

In previous posts it was determined that the in the Magnum with the BA upgrade (with NAV) that the front speakers consist of a 3 ½” dash mounted, and the front door speaker is a 6x9” woofer with no mids and highs going to it. And the rear speaker is a full range 6x9”.

The FAQ’s have some recommendations for dash speakers that retain the stock look (e.g. BA FX3) and are better performers.

The question is has anyone upgraded the front door woofer and the rear speaker and retained the stock appearance? If not what have you done without major modifications?

Not looking for Sub's, will do that later.

Post Thanks / Like
    My idea for the doors is some 8's... It looks like the grille is big enough for it, too bad the door doesn't seem deep enough... The rears are so far away they don't do much for the front, the stock fronts are pretty impressive for OEM...

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure what you mean. You can swap all the speakers out and put the factory trim back on over them to retain a completely factory look.
    Jim

2006 Inferno Red Magnum SRT8
    2005 Silver Magnum RT - SOLD
    2005 Brilliant Black Magnum RT - SOLD

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I want to know, if there may be any limitations of what can fit in the openings. I heard that there may be some speakers that will not fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    You shouldn't have too much of a problem, some people have posted that their replacement 6x9's are too big to fit in the factory holes but I don't remember reading any that said the trim wouldn't fit back over them.

Post Thanks / Like
    My preference would be to do the following:
    Image dynamics 6-1/2" midbass driver in the doors crossed over so that it receives nothing over 400 Hz
    Image Dynamics Midbass Driver

And shoehorn an MB quart 4" component set in the dashboard. I'm still a bit unsure if this will fit but it should be able to get in there:

MB Quart 4" component set

The rear speakers are non critical, so a coaxial 6-1/2" with the tweeters turned down a bit would work well.
    Something like this

Post Thanks / Like
    I put a set of Infinity Kappa 2-way 6x9s in the rear and left the rest alone for now. I don't know if it's just the size of the enclosure, but I expected more bass FROM the new speakers. I can turn the bass up, but then it tends to distort the door speakers, even with the fader set with a rearward bias.
    Would a 6" speaker in the rear be a better choice for more bass?
    billapex
    '05 Magnum RT (Inferno Red)
    Magnaflows, resonators removed, K&N, modified airbox
    14.68 @ 95.56mph
    '89 Mustang coupe opentrack race car, 475hp, 2,800lb., 335s all around

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe.

Give your new Kappas a chance. Once they break in a little and loosen up they may give you some more bass.

Post Thanks / Like
    likely a lot of the distortion isn't the speakers, it's the factory amp, factory amps are junk in general especialy with bass, when I had my dakota before the magnum I had replaced the speakers, they still sounded horible, like they were blown, once I put in a new headunit and ran them off of it's amp they sounded 100 times better.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've read that the sgII is running at 8ohms, can you REPLACE with a mid-bass driver off of the factory amp?

Post Thanks / Like
    I replaced the front dash speakers with Boston FX 3s, and added Infinity tweeters externally mounted to the rear speaker grills facing forward and the whole system came to life. The stock system has no tweeters period. It cost about $135 total and took about 90 minutes total time to do it. The best $135 I ever spent, considering I wanted to rip the whole system out after the first disapppointing 3,000 miles (the sound system, not the car!).
    Magnum PI - Hilo, Hawaii
    05 Black Magic Magnum RT, Zoomers, Eibach pro-kit springs, Bilsteins, Chrome ASA GT5s w/ Toyo Proxes4 255/45 x 20, Frankentake III, Yakima racks for paddle boards; 2009 Pearl 370Z sport, Swift springs, oil cooler, Stillen Gen-3 intake, H&R Spacers.

Post Thanks / Like
    I read the procedure in the knowledge base for replacing the dash speakers in the Magnum. And I've read the "reviews" here on the speakers. I have the "C" upgraded system and it sounds pretty good to me ... for now. Do I have the same door speakers as you? Are mine 6X9 single woofer style too? Seems to me that if they were replaced with a 2 or 3 way set that would help alot. I cannot and will not change out a bunch of stuff, so those of you that REALLY know what you are talking about .... please take pity on those of us that don't! For me, at least, easy in and easy out parts, affordable, that make it sound better without adding any amps, crossovers, hair burners, etc is waht I'd consider.

Did I confuse everyone, or just myself? An easy to do "how to" that is affordable would be helpful to mech challenged folk like me. Thanks. Here is your chance to SHOW us wannabes what we need. :lol: 8) :oops:

Post Thanks / Like
    I would simply REPLACE the dash speakers with Boston FX3s. It would take about 30 minutes and make a world of difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shiltz
    likely a lot of the distortion isn't the speakers, it's the factory amp, factory amps are junk in general especialy with bass, when I had my dakota before the magnum I had replaced the speakers, they still sounded horible, like they were blown, once I put in a new headunit and ran them off of it's amp they sounded 100 times better.
    Distortion?? My factory system with the NAV lets me turn volume all the way up and bass al lthe way up and still no "speaker distortion" the DSP's control the output and dampen the power so that it does not overdrive the speaker and blow it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do the Boston Acoustic Magnums come with working speakers in the dash?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread