Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Road Course in car footage thread????

I know there is a tone of killer footage out there, here is mine from my one and only outing so far......a little long, and yes I do get around the Vipers eventually lol! 72 Dodge Dart at MPH. First time for and car and driver, sorry about the wind noise. - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, what trans are you running and do you have any suspension mods? Also would like to know what brakes and tires you're running. Also curious as to what alignment specs you're running too. What drive shaft are you running and did you adapt the LX rear cradle to the A-body?

Nice pass on the yellow viper, he was definitely asleep at the wheel. I like what you did with using the 370 in an old school mopar.

Meech
    Last edited by Meech; 11-22-2013 at 05:22 PM.
    East Coast Road Racing Club https://www.facebook.com/groups/1377583362497085/ NA with a lot of suspension mods/SRT Max Plus Cam/Forged Push Rods/600HP Half Shafts/Magnaflow Hiflow Cats, Corsa Cat back/ Dave Weber Polished Ported Intake Manifold, HHP Installed Wavetrac/NASCAR Cooling Ducts to ET1970 3" Brake Plates/TI (Track) Backing Plates/ AERO Hood/Naturally Aspirated Force Flow Legmaker CF-F-III, Zygote Forgestar F-14's wrapped in Continental Extreme DW Tires, coming soon BFNY-Sublime NAG-1 modified with custom converter HemiTuner tweaked HHP DynoTune: Trinity 93 Octane 428 RWHP/408RWTQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Viper 6spd, Hotchkis front sway, no rear bar, Fox shocks, 1.06" torsion bars, SRT8 front rotors with Gen 3 Viper calipers, Hawk HP+ pads, Nitto 555 275/35/18 front tires <--- suck donkey balls, Toyo RA1 335/30/18 rear tires. Had a 448ci Big Block and am now in the process of building a 420ci 6.1 for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I run the Nitto R555-II Extremes and love them, but I run 4 of them 285 in the front and 305 in the rears. Gonna hit the track next year and get the R888s on all four corners. Nice set up but I think a rear bar would help you use up more of the road, meaning staying out longer and then diving sharply into the apex, definitely get in their heads with that car.

Running the gen III viper calipers and SRT8 rotors any problems? Did you have to fabricate knuckles or did you use the SRT8 knuckles? I like the hawk pads as a street/road course pad, but you may want to upgrade to Carbotech if you run scrubs, will give you the late braking edge.

Meech

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's one of mine: April 2010 at NJMP on the Thunderbolt track. IN THE RAIN! The Lil' Red Dragon proved it's mettle this day, the AWD made all the difference!
    Tires are Sumitomo HTR ZIII's. Co-Starring Dan (FLYBYU) and Rob(AGD).

2007 TorRed SXT/AWD: Gone, but not forgotten!
    2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

I'm not an actor, but I do play one on TV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron380 View Post
    Here's one of mine: April 2010 at NJMP on the Thunderbolt track. IN THE RAIN! The Lil' Red Dragon proved it's mettle this day, the AWD made all the difference!
    Tires are Sumitomo HTR ZIII's. Co-Starring Dan (FLYBYU) and Rob(AGD).

Dude, ditch the wipers, RainX is much more fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Meech View Post
    I run the Nitto R555-II Extremes and love them, but I run 4 of them 285 in the front and 305 in the rears. Gonna hit the track next year and get the R888s on all four corners. Nice set up but I think a rear bar would help you use up more of the road, meaning staying out longer and then diving sharply into the apex, definitely get in their heads with that car.

Running the gen III viper calipers and SRT8 rotors any problems? Did you have to fabricate knuckles or did you use the SRT8 knuckles? I like the hawk pads as a street/road course pad, but you may want to upgrade to Carbotech if you run scrubs, will give you the late braking edge.

Meech
    Knuckles are 1973+ A body disc spindles, I agree with everything you said except I did experiment with a rear bar and it made the car a drifting machine. The 6.1 swap is going to give me a little more frontspring rate in effect so the bar may go back on. The plowing it did at the road course after a few hard laps I attribute more to mis matched tire compounds. We will see what it needs when she is back on the road.
    Last edited by 370 Dart; 11-22-2013 at 06:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dude, ditch the wipers, RainX is much more fun!
    C'mon now Meech, you know how hard it was raining that day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Do not buy the R888's. Last year I bought a track mustang that came with 3 sets of wheels/tires. One set was R888's and the other 2 were RA1's. The R888's are just as good for about 3 laps then get overheated and "greasy" on a 3,000lbs car (obviously you weigh more). Our class is sponsored by Toyo so those are the only 2 tires we can run but the RA1's are a much better tire, especially if you shave them to 4/32nds right from the start. BTW: We run them until ALL the tread is GONE (actually there are little holes along the outer edges and when those are gone the tire is done)

Meech
    Racing is like sex.........why would you want it to only last 10 seconds?????

Road course session last 25-40 minutes each!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Not doubting your claims but were the R888's BRAND NEW? I am amazed at the wear of the RA1's being on the rear and they still are not down to shaved depth after 2000 miles of driving like a teenager on meth with a BB 6spd.

Post Thanks / Like
    The same day as Robs at NJMP! It was WET!!!

I just HAD to get by this before calling it a day, just was having NO fun on this day!

05 Magnum RT 5.7 (Member ALLPAR.com 200,000 mile club) Rockinsrt8 shifter, Hemi reg #164 325,000 miles
    Sidewinder, 6.1 pushrods, springs, underdrive pulley, SRT exhaust (donated by NHDave) headers to tips, all installed by Hemi31! Quaife, certain Pedders bushes installed, SRT Nivomats and Bilsteins. Police rotors and pads. HIR. Predator. LMI.

09 Jeep GC Limited, Hemi powered of course.

1:19 NJMP Lightning
    1:45 Mosport

Post Thanks / Like
    My time trial run at Mont Tremblant on street tires, last lap coming under the bridge was a bit "interesting" (8:24).

Mosport. My one and ONLY time on Hoosier slicks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome!! Keep them coming!

Post Thanks / Like
    First time tracking it (beginner and point by only). Everybody passed me but I have an excuse... my front rotors are fubared and it shudders badly when you get on them (heh, I got around a couple of people in the other sessions). It was right on the rpm edge coming out of turns 2 and turn 11 and I couldn't get it to downshift but once in turn 11 and once or twice in turn 2. That was kind of frustrating.

You got to click that gear/settings thing in the bottom right corner and select 1080p

short excerpt session 2
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B69...it?usp=sharing

session 3
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B69...it?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Quick; 11-23-2013 at 03:58 AM.
    I've got more even and simultaneous combustion...
    2006 Magnum SRT8 - Brilliant Black

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 370 Dart View Post
    Not doubting your claims but were the R888's BRAND NEW? I am amazed at the wear of the RA1's being on the rear and they still are not down to shaved depth after 2000 miles of driving like a teenager on meth with a BB 6spd.
    No, they were garage stored and a couple years old....as were the RA1's I got at the same time. I asked several of my racer buddies about the R888 and the entire group said the tires sucked but would perform well in the rain since they couldn't handle excessive heat. Every one of them told me what would happen....and it did. The guy that got me into racing ran very consistent lap times when he tried the R888's and lost 2 seconds a lap, said he immediately gained 2 seconds back when he went back to RA1's. I have placed 1st-5th out of 10+ cars in every race I've entered except the one race I ran R888's.....I couldn't keep up and came in 9th. Now we don't run anything else so there could be a bunch of tire brands out there that are better than Toyos, I just wouldn't know.

As another indicator.....Before I got into racing the organization (NASA) was going to switch to the R888 as the class tire but after a couple months of allowing both tires they saw, and reversed, the decision to require their use.

The tires aren't bad if your an occasional driver. If you truely push the car to it's limits the tire just can't handle the abuse IMO. Now, wait til the RA1's have lost all cross-hatching....you will see a noticable improvement when your getting that much more rubber on the road.
    Last edited by t500hps; 11-23-2013 at 03:59 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread