Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Challenger Racing @ Road Atlanta this weekend

Im Racing the Green Monster @ Road Atlanta this weekend ARRC American Road Race of Champions with SCCA in the ITO class this will be my first time out with the SCCA . there will be 2 Mustangs and a in my class in a 20 car field total
    Last edited by joelvan; 11-09-2011 at 11:20 PM.
    Watch my race videos here--> https://vimeo.com/user1781792/videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck. I know you'll do the Mopar family proud. Post a vid if you can
    ProCharger, CMR Tune by Johan, Ported TB, Corsa Exhaust, Jet 180 T-stat, Blue LED Interior lights, E&G Bentley Grill, Ipod Adapter, SRT8 Billet Pedals, Lambo Doors, Cherry Wood Dash, CA Classic Strut Brace, ProTorque 2800 TC, Chrome Valve covers from 3G and Polished firewall

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Pretty cool buddy! I'm gonna have to poke around and see if there's live coverage on TV or the 'net!

Go Get 'Em!!
    2007 TorRed SXT/AWD: Gone, but not forgotten!
    2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

I'm not an actor, but I do play one on TV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck Joel, can't wait to hear how it goes.
    09 Plymouth SRT8/6SPD - CAI, Predator, 180, Reso Delete, Hurst Shifter, SLP Line-Lock, Sequential Taillights, Autometer Shift light, Metco driveshaft loop, Valentine One, AFCO coilovers, Arrington 85mm TB w/NOS, Nitrous Express, SLP line-lock, Poly motor mounts, Pedders Front Bushings, Pedders Rear Cradle Bushings, Razor's Edge Froont and Rear Strut Braces, Chubby Pro sway bars. 12.369/110.51 MPH in 1/4, 1.724 sixty foot time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I started 4th finished 5th over all 2nd in class today in the 6 lap qualifier I screwed up on the first lap in turn 5 brakes and tires too cold hit the gravel trap and lost the class lead . got beat by a fox body Mustang he would have passed me regardless before the finish he was turning 1sec+ faster laps than me Im gonna look at his car tomorrow I don't think his car would be legal for AI but we are running ITO the rules are kinda vague it's a catch all class where conti challenge GS, world challenge GTS , American Iron and AI extreme all together
    I made a crappy video I will post it when it finished converting about 3hrs
    Last edited by joelvan; 11-04-2011 at 08:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    here is link to crappy video

Post Thanks / Like
    I finished 2nd out of 3 in class in the ARRC race today. It does sound better than a DNF right!!! I ran in 2nd from the start until the 8th lap the leader went off in turn 6 so I was leading and I knew I could outpace the other the other ITO car so I thought I would keep him small in my mirror and have the class Win!!!! on lap 13 my left front wheel bearing started going out. I stayed out until lap 15 when my nerves gave out with visions of the wheel locking up @ 150mph or catching fire. So I called it quits. I just hope I didn't ruin the steering knuckle in the process. rolling around the paddock it's really grinding bad and poping real loud.

Post Thanks / Like
    I came looking for some advice and you were one of the ones that have helped me in the past....then AI realize my instructor today "knows you". At least he told me he knows a guy in Atlanta that races a Charger that is made up to look like a police car. (Brian from Va Beach and has a silver corvette TT car)

Anyway, small word it seems.....now can you offer any advice for my power steering issue on my thread???? (please )
    Racing is like sex.........why would you want it to only last 10 seconds?????

Road course session last 25-40 minutes each!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by t500hps View Post
    I came looking for some advice and you were one of the ones that have helped me in the past....then AI realize my instructor today "knows you". At least he told me he knows a guy in Atlanta that races a Charger that is made up to look like a police car. (Brian from Va Beach and has a silver corvette TT car)

Anyway, small word it seems.....now can you offer any advice for my power steering issue on my thread???? (please )
    Yup, Brian Bowers. Did you ride with him? he's one of the C5 Mifia dudes. A bunch of really fast Vette guys. I hang out with [email protected] NASA.events.
    On the power steering issue A bigger cooler will help some. Putting a larger pulley on the pump to slow the pump down. or put a ATI underdrive Damper on the crank. DO NOT use a SLP or equivalent underdrive they will not hold up on the track .I learned that lesson the hard way. A broken crank, they do not have effective dampning . Did yours lockup or blow the fluid out the resivor then stop building pressure?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joelvan View Post
    Yup, Brian Bowers. Did you ride with him? he's one of the C5 Mifia dudes. A bunch of really fast Vette guys. I hang out with [email protected] NASA.events.
    On the power steering issue A bigger cooler will help some. Putting a larger pulley on the pump to slow the pump down. or put a ATI underdrive Damper on the crank. DO NOT use a SLP or equivalent underdrive they will not hold up on the track .I learned that lesson the hard way. A broken crank, they do not have effective dampning . Did yours lockup or blow the fluid out the resivor then stop building pressure?
    I'm in HPDE and Brian was my instructor (so he was riding with me but he was having as much fun as I was......joking that a big red 4 door was passing the GTR that was holding me back!!!)

Blew fluid everywhere from the pump. A Dodge mechanic friend I called said it has 2 blow off valves (or something like that) so we were going to bleed/re-fill it. Started the car back up and the pump makes awful noises and I can't turn the wheel more than 1 turn. That same Dodge mechanic said the pump is done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear you did well Joel, congrats :^)

Please explain further how precisely it was determined an SLP (Powerbond) 25% underdrive pulley was a root cause failure.
    Last edited by Hemissary; 11-06-2011 at 12:00 AM.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Your pressure relive valve is seized. I bought a extra pump from the parts store and took the valve out, It screws out below the high pressure hose . It take 10 minutes to change out with the pump on the car. it's a lot faster than changing the pump. you'll be fixed before your next session . Ever sense i've had a spare on hand, never had another failure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joelvan View Post
    Your pressure relive valve is seized. I bought a extra pump from the parts store and took the valve out, It screws out below the high pressure hose . It take 10 minutes to change out with the pump on the car. it's a lot faster than changing the pump. you'll be fixed before your next session . Ever sense i've had a spare on hand, never had another failure.
    I was behind the wheel.....Brian was under the hood. With the engine running and attempting to turn the wheel, it was making a ton of racket and no fluid was coming out the valve....the wheel just wouldn't turn. Are you sure it's just the valve? Obviously I'm no mechanic so I'm just trying to learn here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    Glad to hear did well Joel, congrats :^)

Please explain further how precisely it was determined an SLP (Powerbond) 25% underdrive pulley was a root cause failure.
    after braking several stroker cranks that were fully balanced . A very experinced race engine builder insisted on seeing the Damper I was using , when I showed it to him he immediately rung the trash can with it and said never under any circumstance put that style damper on a race engine only run a ATI that I would have been far better off with a stock unit. the one I did used had almost no dampinig ability.
    Last edited by joelvan; 11-06-2011 at 12:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by t500hps View Post
    I was behind the wheel.....Brian was under the hood. With the engine running and attempting to turn the wheel, it was making a ton of racket and no fluid was coming out the valve....the wheel just wouldn't turn. Are you sure it's just the valve? Obviously I'm no mechanic so I'm just trying to learn here.
    yes the valve is stuck in the open position which relieves all the pressure internally in the pump which will actually put the high pressure on to the low pressure line back to the reservoir which causes it to blow the fluid the out at high RPM.
    Last edited by joelvan; 11-06-2011 at 12:20 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Share This Thread