Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 44 of 44
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
    Jasons Inertia 383? Is there another 11.5sec 5.7 Stroker?
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryD View Post
    Soon I hope

    Yes my lil ole 838 CI goes 11.56 @ 119 to me exact.

    4" bore
    3.79 stroke

    1968 Dart Supercharged Gen III Hemi



  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hudson, NH
    Posts
    6,906
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some great info ....

    If I wanted more cubes while leaving the bore stock, what's the biggest stroke increase a 5.7 will handle safely, while still revving to 6000-6400 ?


    And would that be different for an AWD application, where the oil pan is different to clear a front axle shaft ...
    Previous : '07 Charger R/T AWD, heads/cam & a few other things. 355 AWHP, 370 AWTQ
    Current: Mine: '13 GT Track Pack, 2.3L Whipple, 608rwhp, 517rwtq. Wife's: '08 GT500, '13 2.3 TVS, 656rwhp, 661rwtq
    What we do: She's the designer, I'm the coder


  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    72
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by InferAl View Post
    Why 392's are running 11.5x's NA right up there with the 426's

    And to go a step further Hemi~C~'s Blown 392 ran 9.85 which no other car has done on this forum..........426 or 440
    good to know the 392 is so strong.

    I thought the 34 extra cid of a 426 would make more power than they actually do.

    the bigger stroke, smaller bore, more torque & more bottom end, less top end of a 5.7/392 would be my choice for my heavy-azz QC truck.
    Last edited by white lightning; 09-05-2009 at 02:18 PM.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    72
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrington Engines View Post
    A 4.250" in a 5.7 is not a combination we would advise.

    The 4.080 with a 4.000” or a 4.015” (6.7L, 410 CID; 6.8L, 413 CID) is really the most you can get out of a 5.7L safely.

    You can very comfortably get 500 HP out of the NA 410 in an ’09 R/T while keeping VCT; more if you’re willing to dump VCT and MDS…
    thanks for answering!

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Reston, Va
    Posts
    14,659
    Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of this really comes down to what HP or TQ god you pray to.

    if you or your machine shop do their due diligence you can spec out a engine with a decent over bore. Some of the 5.7 blocks seem to have a ton of meat in them and COULD support a 4.08 bore but I think to find one of those you would need to go through more than a few blocks to find one.

    The 4.25 stroke leaves very very little piston in the bore and has very short skirts to clear the crank counter weights. If you were building something for racing only not seeing a ton of miles and you wanted cubes over everything else it could be build but you would be in uncharted lands with that.

    The 6.1 blocks have a bit more beef in them, some slightly different oil lay out.

    What are your goals and intentions for the engine ?

    -Robert

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    72
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobAGD View Post
    A lot of this really comes down to what HP or TQ god you pray to.

    if you or your machine shop do their due diligence you can spec out a engine with a decent over bore. Some of the 5.7 blocks seem to have a ton of meat in them and COULD support a 4.08 bore but I think to find one of those you would need to go through more than a few blocks to find one.

    The 4.25 stroke leaves very very little piston in the bore and has very short skirts to clear the crank counter weights. If you were building something for racing only not seeing a ton of miles and you wanted cubes over everything else it could be build but you would be in uncharted lands with that.

    The 6.1 blocks have a bit more beef in them, some slightly different oil lay out.

    What are your goals and intentions for the engine ?

    -Robert
    my goal is a fast, powerful, daily-driver street truck with a lot of low-end power, which is why I posted this up the page:
    "the bigger stroke, smaller bore, more torque & more bottom end, less top end of a 5.7/392 would be my choice for my heavy-azz QC truck."

    got a pretty good idea what specs I want on a custom cam for the motor too.

    I see why a 4.25" stroke is too much for a 5.7 block.

    a Callies 4.05" stroke 5.7/392 or K1 4.08" stroke 5.7/392 balanced rotating assembly are what I plan to use.

    thanks for your thoughts!

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16,628
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by white lightning View Post
    a Callies 4.05" stroke 5.7/392 or K1 4.08" stroke 5.7/392 balanced rotating assembly are what I plan to use.
    Get your block of choice sonic tested, and have a backup lined up in case you need it. Also, kiss off the possibility of a rebuild; you won't have enough material to clean it up and have another go.

    Having said that though, I do love mine. Too much torque actually.
    On to... ...the next

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    2,397
    Post Thanks / Like
    fyi those balanced assemblies need to be rebalanced
    Quote Originally Posted by white lightning View Post
    my goal is a fast, powerful, daily-driver street truck with a lot of low-end power, which is why I posted this up the page:
    "the bigger stroke, smaller bore, more torque & more bottom end, less top end of a 5.7/392 would be my choice for my heavy-azz QC truck."

    got a pretty good idea what specs I want on a custom cam for the motor too.

    I see why a 4.25" stroke is too much for a 5.7 block.

    a Callies 4.05" stroke 5.7/392 or K1 4.08" stroke 5.7/392 balanced rotating assembly are what I plan to use.

    thanks for your thoughts!
    SOLD.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    72
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolVanilla View Post
    kiss off the possibility of a rebuild; you won't have enough material to clean it up and have another go.
    why no rebuild? a 4.05 stroke only takes .010" over on a 5.7 block if you want a true 392, 4.08 stroke + .002-.003", whatever it takes to clean up cylinder taper = 394 cid.

    Quote Originally Posted by CoolVanilla View Post
    Having said that though, I do love mine. Too much torque actually.
    SWEET!

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    72
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sergeo'shemi View Post
    fyi those balanced assemblies need to be rebalanced
    good to know. thanks for the info!

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16,628
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sergeo'shemi View Post
    fyi those balanced assemblies need to be rebalanced
    x2

    Quote Originally Posted by white lightning View Post
    why no rebuild? a 4.05 stroke only takes .010" over on a 5.7 block if you want a true 392, 4.08 stroke + .002-.003", whatever it takes to clean up cylinder taper = 394 cid.
    Sonic it and you'll see why.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    72
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolVanilla View Post
    Sonic it and you'll see why.
    most 5.7 blocks can handle .060" over, some can take .080" over, so why can't .010" over be rebuilt?

    theoretically have .050" of material left to work with?
    Last edited by white lightning; 09-11-2009 at 06:11 PM.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati,Ohio
    Posts
    151
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any updates ?

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Trumbauersville PA
    Posts
    145
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well this was an interesting read, before I got heavily into the G3 engines I helped a friend do a 439 based 5.7 back in 2012 we started with a 04 5.7 block. a set of 4.055 CP pistons with 1.04 pin height and 6.077 length rods(also made by CP Nissan application) . blocked was paralleled decked to 9.25 , running assembly(yes it's different from static assembly) had a deck clearance of .005 ,we hard blocked the lower 2 inches of the water jacket. rod ratio works out to stomp pulling 1.43(SBC 400 is 1.48, plenty of them in the 100k+ mile club), Comp cams 268H 6.1 heads done by RLD , 2.125 intake valve and 1.625 Ex valve stock 6.1 intake ......it was not cheep to build,
    it's in a 2007 300 as of this past summer(2019) it has just under 65k miles on the build 80 1/4 passes. runs mid 11s around 116-119 , on 87oct
    Since 2016 I've done six 4.25 and two 4.30 stroke 5.7s with bores ranging from stock 3.917 to a 4.08(lots of hard block and we sonic checked 12 different blocks to get the right one but 444 Ci was worth it to him)
    I would not boost any build with a 4.25 stroke. the better package is using 4.2 Compstar YY12E48 ,6.10 length rods and 1.04 Pin height Piston, I've done 4 so far this year.
    Last week I finished up a 422Ci 5.7 , 4.00X4.20 ICON Ford Piston part # IC613 it's a true flat top ,so valve reliefs need to be machined in to them and they are 1.09 pin height , 6.125 Manley 300M rods ,Compstar 4.20 crank custom Cometec .120 thick head gaskets, Piston to head clearance is .055 dry so running will be around .051/.052 ,just over 12 to 1 compression , it's got Edelbrock heads(67cc) and a New Holly sniper intake. cam is low 600lift and it's just under 750hp NA. at 7100 RPMs.

    Don't be afraid to build one...just remember new parts vs new parts it's not cost effective compared to 426Ci 6.1/6.4 build.
    10.55 @ 130 , Not bad for NA392 ,4400lbs truck

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Share This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •