PDA

View Full Version : Stop it, Really I want to stop....

Scoot
08-22-2017, 06:54 PM
Caught you with the title huh!

I have stock brakes on my 06 Magnum SRT8 with stock pads, disks and hoses and fluid.

What do I need to do to my brakes to make them better for track day. I would like to start with the hoses. I just hit 110,000 miles and don't want to chance a hose bursting on me. None of the breaklines I find on the internet says can be used for racing.

I did read on here that good brake pads eat the OEM rotors like candy so Sock it to me.

I am willing to rebuild the brembos, I think they need rebuilding. The car is in stock form except for the engine and tranny so in the near future I plan on putting it on a diet if I like racing in road courses.

Thanks in advance.

Hemissary
08-22-2017, 08:16 PM
Stop Tech offers excellent brake line kits for front and rear that far exceed OEM requirements, and offer much better brake feel.

Look for a thread posted by MattRobertson, it offers great advice regarding getting the best out of the OEM Brembo system.

Or you can simply cut to the chase and purchase a system that makes brake issues go away on our very heavy cars. There is only one that meets this requirement; BAER's 6S system. If you are diabolical about it you can ask BAER about purchasing brackets and hats for the front system that allow using Cole Racing rotors: Rotors - XXL (http://www.lxforums.com/board/tires-wheels-and-suspension/330102-rotors-xxl.html)

t500hps
08-23-2017, 04:13 PM
I tracked a stock SRT8 for a couple years before going to a dedicated racecar. You should buy good/expensive stuff if your doing this often but for a few times out to "see if you like it" I'd proceed as below:

At that age I'd put decent stainless brake lines on the car.
You only need front brakes. Carbotech makes pads that fit your calipers and buy cheap white box rotors to use with them. XP12 fronts are probably what you should use (maybe 10's). I did buy rear pads but you can get by without them at first (XP8's). You also need to upgrade to a GOOD brake fluid. In the SRT8 back then I used Wilwood EXP. In the racecar I use Castrol SRF. Use something similar.

Scoot
08-23-2017, 05:40 PM
I want to try it once. Then if I like it I will start to build up on the system. I know if I replace all the fluid with better stuff (Torque RT700), brake pads and brake lines. The dealership looked at my rotors and said they are close to new and are OEM. He said they look like they replaced (Front) in the last year or two. If this will get me buy for my first time then I will take the plunge and buy bigger disks and calipers. I can't pluck down 3K for something I will never use. My current pads are OEM also.

So if this fluid will not ruin anything that is stock on the car I am thinking "Torque RT700"
I don't know what pads to get. I don't mind they tear up the disks but not to harsh (got to save money) Wife is tight on the hobby dollars)
Brake lines. I guess I will just get stop tech brake lines.

I looked up all the posts for MattRobertson and I would love to invest in a system like that but I am not ready to dive all in.

BM_SRT
08-23-2017, 06:32 PM
You can check out my writeup on the Amg calipers and hellcat rotors but since then the whole front 6 piston hellcat setup has really come down in price on the used market. Its a direct bolt on for your car and you can probably find an ebay or forum take off for around 1,500 to 2k.

I haven't used it on a track but I noticed a huge difference on the street versus the 4 piston/360mm setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Hemissary
08-23-2017, 06:44 PM
Then don't change a thing Scoot. More importantly - first time out enjoy the experience, but don't try for ten-tenths. With your stock Magnum:

- consider side bolsters (like rolled up towels, paper towels rolls, etc) that you can bundle and place along your hips and under the seat belt to reduce lateral movement (it get tiring and is eventually no fun having to brace your body while negotiating the course)
- you might consider taking some canned air to alter tire pressures
- leave traction control on until you become comfortable with how the car behaves
- depending on your experience, you'll observe body roll and how it alters your trajectory in / through / out of corners at different speeds
- if you have typical / OEM style tires, you'll quickly learn to appreciate how extra traction would be helpful into and exiting corners
- you'll begin to feel / understand brake fade within a few laps
- take the time to treat your ride with respect - especially on a planned last / cool down lap (this depends on how hard you get on it - let brake fade be your guide)

Before leaving the track inspect tires, brakes, rotors...and enjoy :^)

EDIT: the BAER brake system I suggested is full-on race and offers a myriad of pad options. Its overkill for the street. But if you decide road course action is for you (its sustained, you actually get some exercise / lose weight, your sh!t eating grin takes weeks to go way etcetera) then as pointed out already, getting a system that significantly reduces worry / cost on the long run, excellent brakes on what is really a pig of a land yacht can really enhance the (ongoing) experience :^)

Scoot
08-23-2017, 07:45 PM
Thank you. The only reason I bring this up was I blew a break hose coming off the highway (75 down to 40 mph). I was in a 2003 Chevy Tahoe Z71 with 37 inch tires and 3 inch lift. I almost clobbered 4 cars before I was able to downshift and weave between cars to a stop.

I don't mind swapping lines pads and fluid. I have that nugget in the back of my mind something will blow. I got to drive to Dallas and be able to drive it home. I would love to get it on the track as is but my paranoia will kill me plus the break fluid in the car now looks BLACK as black can be. I don't think it was ever changed out like the disks and pads.

Please tell me I can do fluid and lines.... Please, please,

Hemissary
08-23-2017, 07:52 PM
Use a high quality fluid that meets the OEM specification for now :^)

If the pads are decent, don't bother, use them up. This kinda depends on the track you will be attending. A large / fast track with aggressive (read high speed entry) pre-corner braking is going to use up pads / rotors much quicker than a small twisty one.

wasp392
08-24-2017, 12:38 AM
The Torque RT700 is the best on the market but kinda hard to get. IMO it's overkill. I started with Motul and eventually switched to more expensive Castro SRF. The Motul worked great for me. Didn't see any difference switching to SRF. Choose your brake fluid based on your climate. First thing I did was swap my lines with Stop Tech. $150 for all 4. I've always used the oem brembo rotors without any issues. Actually bought a dedicated set for track only. Used them with Carbotech XP12s. Unbelievable bite but eats rotors like crazy. The eom rotors are affordable so I didn't mind. Left the rear ones alone. Used the stock brembo pads on the rear. I cut almost a full second off of my lap times just by going with those Carbotech pads. $280 for the set. Well worth it. Got them pre bedded for an extra $20 since they recommend them be bedded at the track. The brembo calipers are amazing too. 3+ years of tracking my car and never had an issue with them. See if you can find a takeoff set. Also one of the best things you do is buy a dedicated set of lightweight wheels with some sticky tires once you get more into racing. Lots of great advice from previous posters.