PDA

View Full Version : Factory Exhaust Drone?

Dannyboy80
03-13-2017, 04:00 PM
Hey folks,

New here as I just picked up a 2017 Charger Scat Pack - Love the car! However, it has a pretty loud drone right around 1,750-2,000 RPM when accelerating and, while I hate to sound like an "old man" I find it rather annoying. Main problem being, when accelerating from a stop and cruising on city streets, I find myself in that RPM range quite frequently so there are times I can hardly hear the radio through that RPM window unless it's turned way up. The exhaust note is fantastic, otherwise!

Does anyone else have this issue, or just know what I'm talking about? If so, is there a different "mode" I should have the car in when cruising? It's just in default right now.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

parshooter
03-13-2017, 05:46 PM
I was "worried" about drone when thinking of getting a SP. It is there, at different rpms and speeds. All kinds of fantastic noises come from the engine and exhaust. You wont even notice it after a while. Just becomes white noise. Have fun.

FastScat
05-09-2017, 05:21 AM
I have a 2016 and have no drone whatsoever. Loud as hell at WOT. I love it! Stock exhaust rocks!

Slidd
05-09-2017, 08:27 AM
Hey folks,

New here as I just picked up a 2017 Charger Scat Pack - Love the car! However, it has a pretty loud drone right around 1,750-2,000 RPM when accelerating ..
Any update on this? I'll get some drone on my Challenger SRT like this but usually only on a cold morning when pulling away slow, like maybe in this condition the active exhaust valves are still open. All other times it's normal and very quiet inside.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Burnsey
05-09-2017, 12:15 PM
Any update on this? I'll get some drone on my Challenger SRT like this but usually only on a cold morning when pulling away slow, like maybe in this condition the active exhaust valves are still open. All other times it's normal and very quiet inside.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Sounds completely normal especially if you have the stock exhaust. There is no way to eliminate all resonance from an exhaust. Even the sound choking exhausts on the 5.7 V-8s have their moments of subtle drone while accelerating. typically happens when you are in a higher gear and you are stuck in that RPM range for more than a second. My suggestion is drop the hammer : )

Cali SP 392
10-17-2018, 02:52 AM
Hello Dannyboy80,

We you ever able to get rid of the drone? I have a 2016 Charger SP & it has the same issue, and my ears are still not liking it... 1,800 - 2,000 RPM & it's there. Always. I have 28K on it, so it's probably not going to change much anytime soon, so did you have any luck with this?

Thanks

SuperSound
10-17-2018, 09:30 AM
OP I've got the same issue you described. That's the only time it drones.

GR8YTE
12-20-2018, 08:08 PM
It drones the loudest on 4 cylinder mode. My daughter really complains.