PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone run Toyo Proxes R888?

Northern Rider
07-03-2013, 07:11 PM
As the title says, I'm looking at Toyo Proxes R888's as a road course tire - 285/35/20's.

Looking for feedback from anyone who has had experience with them.

check6x
07-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Show and Performance put them on their hotrod, I don't think they have any miles on it yet. They might have experience from another vehicle.

Northern Rider
07-04-2013, 07:24 PM
Show and Performance put them on their hotrod, I don't think they have any miles on it yet. They might have experience from another vehicle.

Thanks!

Anyone else?

Lowwlife
07-05-2013, 05:28 PM
Thanks!

Anyone else? I'd love to help but I don't have first hand experience with the Triple 8s. I've seen a lot of the smaller cars do well with them but the weight of our cars may tell a different story. Off topic but have you tried the NT05s? I ran two NASA HPDE3 events and lots of HPDE2 classes with great success :thumbs_u:

Ron380
07-05-2013, 05:36 PM
Rider- I think it was Dan (Flybyu) that was running NT05's when we had that track day in the rain a couple years ago. He said they did pretty well in the wet, and great in dry conditions. (My AWD V6 still passed him, though!) ;)

Jontoad
07-05-2013, 11:11 PM
i know the GTR guys don't like the R888's. they don't seem to like heavy cars.

Northern Rider
07-06-2013, 06:45 PM
I'd love to help but I don't have first hand experience with the Triple 8s. I've seen a lot of the smaller cars do well with them but the weight of our cars may tell a different story. Off topic but have you tried the NT05s? I ran two NASA HPDE3 events and lots of HPDE2 classes with great success :thumbs_u:

I had a look at Nitto's web site and they show the NT05's as drag tires ! ? How did the sidewalls hold up for you?

Rider- I think it was Dan (Flybyu) that was running NT05's when we had that track day in the rain a couple years ago. He said they did pretty well in the wet, and great in dry conditions. (My AWD V6 still passed him, though!) ;)

Thanks, Ron.

i know the GTR guys don't like the R888's. they don't seem to like heavy cars.

Jon - I have heard the same thing about heavy cars and the R888's from guys running with me. Sounds like they're much better suited to lighter cars.

Maybe I'll have to get a company such as ForgeStars to make an 18" wheel with enough offset for the Brembos - and stick some Hoosiers on them for dry days.

BTW - how did you get that front splitter for your Charger?

Ron380
07-06-2013, 06:49 PM
NT05's come in "road" tires and "DR's" for drag radials. ;)

So do Nitto 555's.

CVP33
07-06-2013, 08:40 PM
NT05's and NT05r's both have less rigid sidewalls. Lots of people complain about them "rolling over" in hard cornering. My buddy runs 888's on his camaro and loves them. At 4,200 lbs. with him and fuel it's hardly a light car. A lot of experienced drivers have convinced us that the 35 aspect ratio tires won't perform well on the LX platform. I'm running Michelin Pilot Supersports in 285/35/20 f, 315/35/20 r on my ZL1 and I love 'em. My convertible weighs 4,373 BEFORE fuel and driver.

Next tire that I keep hearing good things about, but not yet from sources I trust are the BFGoodrich G force Rivals. Supposed to be the second coming......we'll see.

Northern Rider
07-06-2013, 08:53 PM
There are 21 corners on our 3 mile road course and each of our 9 races are 40 minutes. Lot's of high G lateral forces. I am running PSS's - 275/30/20's and they are doing quite well - especially on a wet track. Just not good enough against Hoosier slicks in the dry.

Lowwlife
07-06-2013, 09:10 PM
The NT05 is a road race tire. NT05R is a drag radial with a softer side wall...too much deflection for road course use. I've run willow springs (big willow), button willow and Fontana speedway (141mph in the roval) These are all long fast tracks and the NT05s held up great. My setup was 275/40/20 front and 315/35/20 rear :thumbs_u:

CVP33
07-06-2013, 09:38 PM
There are 21 corners on our 3 mile road course and each of our 9 races are 40 minutes. Lot's of high G lateral forces. I am running PSS's - 275/30/20's and they are doing quite well - especially on a wet track. Just not good enough against Hoosier slicks in the dry.

Yup I can see where that would be a problem. I liked the Continental Sport Cup slicks, but that means going to a dedicated 18" setup (or at least it did for me). Great fun at VIR hitting 155 on the straights. Uphill essess though were just no fun in a big heavy car that didn't particularly like quick transitions. I tried BCR coil overs on the stiffest/lowest setting, hotchkis sway bars, front/rear STB's, bump steer kit, aggressive camber....everything I could to make it sit in a corner. Don't get me wrong, it would hold in a constant radius corner, but any spirited right/lefts would just upset the car.

foxe
07-07-2013, 12:34 AM
I have run the Tri-8s at the 1/2 mile, but it is just straight with no turns. I did run them around town to make sure they'd fit (needed a 3mm spacer up front for insurance) and they did fine, but it was no race track. I'll be running them down in Texas at the Mile in Oct, but again it is straight. If I make it up to Summit Point (45 min north of me) in Aug for a NASA event I'll let you know how they do.

Jontoad
07-08-2013, 08:16 PM
I had a look at Nitto's web site and they show the NT05's as drag tires ! ? How did the sidewalls hold up for you?

Thanks, Ron.

Jon - I have heard the same thing about heavy cars and the R888's from guys running with me. Sounds like they're much better suited to lighter cars.

Maybe I'll have to get a company such as ForgeStars to make an 18" wheel with enough offset for the Brembos - and stick some Hoosiers on them for dry days.

BTW - how did you get that front splitter for your Charger?

i have 2 sets of the Nitto NT05 road racing versions and one set of NT05R drag radials.

the NT05's have a very stiff sidewall so i don't know where CVP33 got that soft sidewall info from unless he was looking at the drag version... they do not roll in corners even at normal pressures. they are great for the price and i have been running them for my last 2 or 3 SCCA seasons as no other tire in that price range is anywhere similar in performance.

that being said i am switching to the new BFG Rivals as soon as i wear these out and money will allow. well, if i don't go to 18inch wheels and conti slicks that is.

the BFG rivals are getting rave reviews for longevity and blurring the lines between street tires and R compunds. they are still a 200 tread wear to put me in street tire classes. that being said i will be paying quite a bit more to play with those instead of the NT05's

i plan to use the 315/35/20 rear and 285/35/20 front on my street wheels and 285/35/20 all around on my race wheels.

my splitter is just a danko lip dipped in carbon fiber. i added longacre brand support rods to it to pull it up a bit for street driving clearance.

CVP33
07-08-2013, 08:27 PM
the NT05's have a very stiff sidewall so i don't know where CVP33 got that soft sidewall info from...

Personal experience, Camaro5 forums, Corvette forums, LS1GTO forums, grassroots motorsports magazine, gmhightechperformance.com and more. Really stating rollover in the corners vs. weak sidewalls. Also could be the taller tread blocks as grassroots mentioned in their test. It seems that the folks that like them are comparing them to second tier tires like Falken 452's, Toyo Proxes IV, Evo 12's. Folks that have driven on Michelins, Pirellis and Bridgestones report the NT05's as a step below those more premium tires. I like the Michelin Pilot Supersports compared to the GY F1 G2 tires that come stock on the ZL1. They grip better, offer more feedback and are definitely quieter on the hwy. Add a 30K mile warranty and I'm struggling to see a downside.

Jontoad
07-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Personal experience, Camaro5 forums, Corvette forums, LS1GTO forums, grassroots motorsports magazine, gmhightechperformance.com and more. Really stating rollover in the corners vs. weak sidewalls. Also could be the taller tread blocks as grassroots mentioned in their test. It seems that the folks that like them are comparing them to second tier tires like Falken 452's, Toyo Proxes IV, Evo 12's. Folks that have driven on Michelins, Pirellis and Bridgestones report the NT05's as a step below those more premium tires. I like the Michelin Pilot Supersports compared to the GY F1 G2 tires that come stock on the ZL1. They grip better, offer more feedback and are definitely quieter on the hwy. Add a 30K mile warranty and I'm struggling to see a downside.

obviously it is a budget minded street/track performance tire. not a no expense spared high end Michelin or Bridgestone max summer performance tire. either of those other two brands will cost about twice the price for a similar sized summer tire. if your comparing them to either one of those, yea they will come up short. but not in the sidewall stiffness area. the NT05 has one of the stiffest street tire sidewalls i have ever felt besides a runflat in my hands when the tire is dismounted. i have been in the tire industry for 13 years.

the only reason people are comparing them to those lower performance all seasons you mentioned is because that is what is directly below them in price. they are just that cheap that you can step into them for just a investment little over those low tier tires.

they are not on par with the Direzza II's, bfg rival's, michelin ps2/ps3/sport cup/ect..., or bridgestone's high end performance tires. they will cost you half the price though.

i really think he should look into the BFG Rivals in the 285/35/20's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qx9kAy_ANI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDUSl3C4vlY

Northern Rider
07-08-2013, 09:55 PM
Thanks for all the info, guys! This has been really helpful.

I just got back from the track, as we ran race 4 in our GT series. We had over 30 cars entered! We are grouped into GT1,2, and 3, based on our lap times. I'm in the GT2 group, with a lot of dedicated track cars. A rain shower came over the track, just before our allotted 20 minutes of practise / Qualifying times. As usual, the PSS's we very grippy on the wet track. I ended up gridded up with the GT1 cars, just in the 4th row. However, the shower had passed and all the fast guys had slicks on, for the race - mostly Hoosiers.

After 40 minutes of hard running, I managed to finish 3rd in the GT2 group. I think my best solution is to find 4 18" wheels with enough offset to clear those front Brembos and get some Hoosiers for the dry. Keep the 20" PSS's for the wet stuff.

t500hps
07-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Yup I can see where that would be a problem. I liked the Continental Sport Cup slicks, but that means going to a dedicated 18" setup (or at least it did for me). Great fun at VIR hitting 155 on the straights. Uphill essess though were just no fun in a big heavy car that didn't particularly like quick transitions. I tried BCR coil overs on the stiffest/lowest setting, hotchkis sway bars, front/rear STB's, bump steer kit, aggressive camber....everything I could to make it sit in a corner. Don't get me wrong, it would hold in a constant radius corner, but any spirited right/lefts would just upset the car.

What were your lap times???? I managed 2:18's with those 18in wheels and Conti's on stock suspension.....115 mph on the uphill esses without much issue!!!

t500hps
07-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Don't run the 888s!!!!
I never ran them on the Charger but acquired a set when I bought my dedicated track mustang (along with 2 sets of RA1's, all 275/40/17's). I've run numerous sessions on the RA1's but thought it might rain last time out and put on the 888's. Great grip for the first 3 laps.....then they got "squishy" and were sliding all over the place!!! Racing conditions with my 3,100lb mustang was way too much when the track stayed dry. I am told they are the best thing out there in the rain though.

BTW: I found the 275/35/18 Conti's AND Hoosier R6's performed great on my Charger but you need to run camber to utilize the entire tire.

CVP33
07-08-2013, 10:25 PM
i really think he should look into the BFG Rivals in the 285/35/20's.

Yup, like I said hearing good things about them. Waiting for TireRack to do their test this month as promised. As for cost, my Michelins in 285/35/20 ans 315/35/20 were under $1,300 after all rebates. I would've had to go down to a 275/40 and 315/35 staggered setup for the NT05's but saved about $260 on the set. Not sure it would be worth it.

CVP33
07-08-2013, 10:34 PM
What were your lap times???? I managed 2:18's with those 18in wheels and Conti's on stock suspension.....115 mph on the uphill esses without much issue!!!

2:18 is hauling the mail on full course for an SRT8. I was in the 2:2X+ range making up more time on the straight aways than the corners for sure. I was running the procharger and making in the 545rwhp range. We did have an issue with how the power came on and how hard the Paramount trans shifted. Mid corner it was upsetting the car quite a bit. I think you have more confidence than I did/do in the car as well. ZL1 would be another story.

Northern Rider
07-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Don't run the 888s!!!!
I never ran them on the Charger but acquired a set when I bought my dedicated track mustang (along with 2 sets of RA1's, all 275/40/17's). I've run numerous sessions on the RA1's but thought it might rain last time out and put on the 888's. Great grip for the first 3 laps.....then they got "squishy" and were sliding all over the place!!! Racing conditions with my 3,100lb mustang was way too much when the track stayed dry. I am told they are the best thing out there in the rain though.

BTW: I found the 275/35/18 Conti's AND Hoosier R6's performed great on my Charger but you need to run camber to utilize the entire tire.

I was talking to a couple of guys who run track prepared Mustangs out of the track pool, and they pretty much said the same about the 888's. Perhaps my 4200 lb SRT would kill those tires.

Northern Rider
07-12-2013, 04:50 AM
Tire Rack just published its performance tests with the new BFG Rival and 3 other extreme performance makes. You can read it here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=172

CVP33
07-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Tire Rack just published its performance tests with the new BFG Rival and 3 other extreme performance makes. You can read it here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=172

Not bad. Looks like $1,400 + s/h for a staggered set 285/315.