PDA

View Full Version : HDVideo: Calabogie Nights -Running with the Big Dogs

Northern Rider
06-03-2012, 10:29 AM
Had BBII on the road course last Wed night.

You can run this vid in HD 1080; in full screen view.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4t55BJ7y3Q&hd=1

Trojan
06-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Great Job Patrick! That was badass!

Northern Rider
06-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Thanks, Chris!

We often show our cars blowing by other rides on lapping days. It's fun to watch, but doesn't give a true picture of reality as those events often attract inexperienced drivers who are learning the track; their car; and their own skills and limits.

Last Wednesday night, every driver there had good track experience and some were current pro drivers.

Here's what I learned running BBII with these guys:

First off, my car has only basic mods - CAI; better exhaust; LSD; custom springs and shocks, a canned Diablo tune, and good rubber. That's it. In fact, a 2nd Gen SRT8, out of the box should perform at about the same level.
Secondly, I am approaching the limit of my driving skills and the current setup on my car. None of us were going ten tenths - more like eight to nine tenths, as none of us were actually racing.
Thirdly, the guys who were faster, had vehicles costing 2 to 4 times the cost of my SRT8 (when it was new).
Finally, judging by the comments afterwards, our SRT8's earned some appreciation from the racers there.

It appears that I will be able to run some more of these private events this summer. :pepper:

fnkychkn
06-03-2012, 03:28 PM
great video, Pat. any chance i can get a ride-along someday?

Northern Rider
06-03-2012, 05:13 PM
great video, Pat. any chance i can get a ride-along someday?

Absolutely, Pete! I'll give you a shout, when I know my next date to run at Calabogie.

You'll be my first passenger . . . (except for the instructor who checked me out the first time I ran at 'Bogie. He freaked out and started to yell, when at the end of Rocky Road, he was certain that my 4 door 'Merican sedan wouldn't negotiate Mulligan - the decreasing radius right turn) - LOL!

DarthCharger
06-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the ride and I really enjoyed the view of the track from inside the 300. Congrats on your PB also.

Northern Rider
06-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the ride and I really enjoyed the view of the track from inside the 300. Congrats on your PB also.

Thanks! my PB of 2:36 is still shy of what is considered "Hot" for a street car. I need to get down to 2:30 . . . and that is a challenge.

lmhoward
06-04-2012, 12:38 PM
All you need is more contact patch. Great video BTW and a beautiful facility.

Les

Northern Rider
06-04-2012, 07:15 PM
All you need is more contact patch. Great video BTW and a beautiful facility.

Les

Thanks, Les. Yep - more contact patch - will pick up some seconds on the track . . . May go to 275's up front to match the back.

scisteve
06-04-2012, 07:25 PM
great video!!! I remember back in the days running Willow Springs in my Acura Integra built by Jackson Racing! fun times.... I dont think i would take my v-6 2012 Chrysler 300 out there

lmhoward
06-04-2012, 09:33 PM
I don't track my LX, I track my SRT-6. When I went to light wide rims and wider tires I picked up 3 seconds on a track a little over a mile long. Braking and corner speed improve; I'd say it gains more time than 60 horsepower. 275's on a LX on a road course are as small as I'd use. I run 255 on the front and 285 on the rear on my 6. (street tires)

Les

Northern Rider
06-05-2012, 05:18 PM
I don't track my LX, I track my SRT-6. When I went to light wide rims and wider tires I picked up 3 seconds on a track a little over a mile long. Braking and corner speed improve; I'd say it gains more time than 60 horsepower. 275's on a LX on a road course are as small as I'd use. I run 255 on the front and 285 on the rear on my 6. (street tires)

Les

Good advice! Thanks.

great video!!! I remember back in the days running Willow Springs in my Acura Integra built by Jackson Racing! fun times.... I dont think i would take my v-6 2012 Chrysler 300 out there

Thanks, Steve!

When I was on the track last Wednesday night, something just didn't feel right about the car. Yesterday, I went over BBII in my garage and discovered - much to my chagrin that I made a big 'track noobie' mistake. I checked my tire pressures and discovered that they were at 30 lbs all round. http://www.300cforums.com/forums/images/smilies/new/eek1.gif

How could this be? Thinking back, I remembered that I took BBII to Toronto for the meet and greet. Since Sally was riding along, I lowered the pressures to make the ride a little more comfortable for her.

I forgot to put them back up to 38 psi cold, which is where I like them for Calabogie with all of the violent turns. http://www.300cforums.com/forums/images/smilies/new/pat.gif

They say that as we grow older - the memory is the first thing to go . . .

lmhoward
06-05-2012, 08:43 PM
OOOieee. I set my tire pressures (3300 lbs with me in the car) at 33.5 front and 31.5 rear cold. I'm on Hankook Ventus RS-3 and the fronts stick best at 39 or 40 lbs. hot. My car is loose so until I find a way to tighten the rear it's better with 1/8 toe in and lowish air pressure in the rear. Sometimes I forget that you've forgotten more than I'll ever know. Keep on keeping on NR.

Les

rtr0id
06-05-2012, 09:22 PM
thanks for the ride, looks like fun!

Northern Rider
06-08-2012, 10:12 PM
Well - I just got back from Calabogie - and I ran Black Beauty in a GT race!!!!

No kidding!

It was run under gentleman's rules - passing only on the straights - the race was 45 minutes of flat out racing.

Every competitor was given a timing transponder. We put on a decent showing.

I have lots of video - will edit it down and post up a clip asap.

Adanac Charger
06-09-2012, 12:03 AM
Thanks for posting and I'm looking forward to the clips from the GT race!! I'm also looking forward to the audio from Fnky's ride along. :)

Calabogie is a nice looking track!

Northern Rider
06-13-2012, 01:20 AM
Thanks for posting and I'm looking forward to the clips from the GT race!! I'm also looking forward to the audio from Fnky's ride along. :)

Calabogie is a nice looking track!

Fnky didn't get to ride along this time,as it was a race, instead of lapping.
Next time - Pete!:chickdance:

The vid is now up here: http://www.lxforums.com/board/f252/hdvid-300c-srt-gt-race-calabogie-june-2012-a-311055/