PDA

View Full Version : My First HPDE Event at NJMP March 30th

Meech
04-24-2012, 10:08 PM
If you have facebook please like and share, but you dont need face book to view the link below:

Meimaris Motorsports - Automotive | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Meimaris-Motorsports/194178307338283)

Special thanks to the guys at the Forum, Matt Robertson, Pete Danielson, Mike Romanzyk, Eric Taylor, Joel Van, and anyone else who helped with their knowledge and posts along the way. Mikey at Speedlogix who helped nail down the front end, Paul at Razor's Edge who shipped the parts when the others didn't fit. Jason Hitchcock, at Jay's Hot Rods, Will King and my Pit man, Pete Latos for lending his experience of 8 championship seasons with a Corvette Race Team with EMRA (1 year with Toyota).

Starting at the back of the pack (Novice group) and chasing down the lead instructor who was at the front!:

Meech

joelvan
04-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Meech, what tires were you running on track?

RobAGD
04-24-2012, 10:35 PM
those look like the conti's take offs

-R

joelvan
04-24-2012, 10:45 PM
I am looking for a set of tires 275/35/18 for an Televised Event where I cannot run R compounds or slicks every thing I look at cost $1,200 a set or more I really hate the idea of spending that kind of coin and not using them again.

RobAGD
04-24-2012, 11:04 PM
Joel if its going to be a televised event, sell some fender space for tires or something ?

-R

joelvan
04-24-2012, 11:55 PM
Nobody is ever interested in sponsoring me so I have quit asking.

NYC_SRT8
04-25-2012, 09:58 AM
those look like the conti's take offs

-R

Nope, Nitto 555r's

I am looking for a set of tires 275/35/18 for an Televised Event where I cannot run R compounds or slicks every thing I look at cost $1,200 a set or more I really hate the idea of spending that kind of coin and not using them again.

Try John Bergett Racing. John Berget Racing Tires (http://www.jbracingtires.net/) . He has take off slicks in that size for around $115 shipped.

CT-MSRT
04-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Nope, Nitto 555r's

Try John Bergett Racing. John Berget Racing Tires (http://www.jbracingtires.net/) . He has take off slicks in that size for around $115 shipped.

reading comprehension > you Will. "I cannot run R compounds or slicks"

I'd still call John though for some street tires. I have gotten a few pairs off him for the street. Used tires are definitely your way to go for such a limited use intent and that size you want is relatively popular.

joelvan
04-25-2012, 10:27 AM
Sorry meech ,I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

NYC_SRT8
04-25-2012, 10:42 AM
reading comprehension > you Will. "I cannot run R compounds or slicks"

I'd still call John though for some street tires. I have gotten a few pairs off him for the street. Used tires are definitely your way to go for such a limited use intent and that size you want is relatively popular.

Thanks for the heads up Mike. You have anything else you'd like to get off your gutt, I mean chest?

Meech
04-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Sorry meech ,I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

No worries! Sharing of knowledge from all of you got me to this point, I hope to be an effective force as well as a contributor.

Meech
04-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Meech, what tires were you running on track?

Like Will said Nitto R555-II they were Pete Danielson's Setup xEvilPetex on this forum.

t500hps
04-25-2012, 09:26 PM
Congrats on your first HPDE weekend.......I'm sure there will be more!!!! The experts here have been a huge help to me also. I started HPDE last summer and am going to Summit this weekend for my first HPDE3

Meech
04-26-2012, 04:02 AM
Congrats on your first HPDE weekend.......I'm sure there will be more!!!! The experts here have been a huge help to me also. I started HPDE last summer and am going to Summit this weekend for my first HPDE3

My pit man has done Summit Point in a Vette, I respect the track, thanks for chiming in! We have many talented people on this forum!

Meech

CT-MSRT
04-26-2012, 06:14 AM
definitely great to see another new england driver out with us. great first day and it looks like the bug has bitten ya.

Meech
04-26-2012, 10:01 AM
definitely great to see another new england driver out with us. great first day and it looks like the bug has bitten ya.

Bug has bitten a lot of us, hope I can get my 70 Challenger T/A Clone, ready for American Iron by next year and get lots of seat time whenever I can. On the Challenger, I will yank the six-pack for the more efficient 4V. Gonna have to rely on the E-Max stuff from Hotchkis and SPC to bring her up to date. May have to speak to Joel about upgrading brakes. Joel what are you running on the #77?

Meech

joelvan
04-26-2012, 10:38 AM
Im running stock SRT Brembos with Carbotech XP12 F & XP10 in the rear I do have 3"cooler hoses to the rotors.

t500hps
04-26-2012, 04:18 PM
Im running stock SRT Brembos with Carbotech XP12 F & XP10 in the rear I do have 3"cooler hoses to the rotors.

I'm running the same setup based on the recommendations here (cooked the stock pads/fluid first day out last year)...........and how often are you warping rotors??? I seem to get 2 weekends out of a front set before bad vibration sets in.

check6x
04-26-2012, 05:44 PM
I got some Californians out to Big Bend ORR. Their first look at the course was today and I see an email from one saying "Quantum more technical Silver State."

joelvan
04-26-2012, 05:59 PM
I can get a season out of my rotors ( I change then due to cracking). Pads ,about 3 race week ends out of the fronts and a season out of the rears.
As I stated before. Compressing your braking zones down to the shortest braking distance possible with out locking up puts less heat into your rotors and get better pad life.

If you will think about how many less rotations your rotor makes with pad pressure if you wait to the last possible second
(also fasterlap times) than if you hit your brakes earlier with less pressure there is more rotations and more heat.greater chance of warping rotors .

t500hps
04-26-2012, 09:07 PM
I can get a season out of my rotors ( I change then due to cracking). Pads ,about 3 race week ends out of the fronts and a season out of the rears.
As I stated before. Compressing your braking zones down to the shortest braking distance possible with out locking up puts less heat into your rotors and get better pad life.

If you will think about how many less rotations your rotor makes with pad pressure if you wait to the last possible second
(also fasterlap times) than if you hit your brakes earlier with less pressure there is more rotations and more heat.greater chance of warping rotors .

A season on rotors, I'm not even close.
Braking is my biggest issue. I understand the concept of minimal brake time but it's been my biggest crutch. My goal is to run CMC with several buddies and that class does not run anti-lock brakes.......so I've been trying to brake without letting the anti-lock engage. Last track session I drove in deeper than normal and let the brakes do what they were designed to. Probably should have been driving that way all along. It's all coming together, soon I need to get a car for the track and stop running my daily driver.

Looks like alot of rain for sat on the track, I've done just enough of wet tracking to realize it will teach me some new things....even if I'm not looking forward to driving in the rain. (Sunday looks nice and dry though!!!!)

Meech
04-26-2012, 09:21 PM
I'm running the same setup based on the recommendations here (cooked the stock pads/fluid first day out last year)...........and how often are you warping rotors??? I seem to get 2 weekends out of a front set before bad vibration sets in.

On the 300CSRT8 I'm running 3" from the front fascia through modified NASCAR Ducts (FIVE STAR) to the rotors with the backing plates recommended by Eric Taylor, (ET1970), for HPDE did not experience any brake failure at all with HAWK HPS and Diversified Cryogenic SRT8 Slotted Rotors. Many here would argue with the extra expense and the modest brake pad but it worked for me, I was doing 120-130 by the time I hit the #5 Brake Compression Sign. As far as warping the rotors, you can stretch the rotor's life by proper torquing of lug nuts, but like many here do, Im sure you do that already. Some Pics below:

Meech

t500hps
04-27-2012, 07:59 AM
On the 300CSRT8 I'm running 3" from the front fascia through modified NASCAR Ducts (FIVE STAR) to the rotors with the backing plates recommended by Eric Taylor, (ET1970), for HPDE did not experience any brake failure at all with HAWK HPS and Diversified Cryogenic SRT8 Slotted Rotors. Many here would argue with the extra expense and the modest brake pad but it worked for me, I was doing 120-130 by the time I hit the #5 Brake Compression Sign. As far as warping the rotors, you can stretch the rotor's life by proper torquing of lug nuts, but like many here do, Im sure you do that already.

Meech

I only ran the factory setup my first weekend. By the next track weekend I had bought Carbotechs, replacement rotors, upgraded brake fluid, and made 2in brake ducts (all I could get/fit in there). Rotors have been my only issue to date. At Summit I'm hitting 130-132, braking at the 3.5 and into a 90 degree (35-40) turn. At VIR I'm hitting 142-145, braking at the 1.5 (small dog leg, then 90 degree) to make a 35-40 mph turn...the other hard braking zone is 130mph into a 180 degree turn. I'm still running factory rotors, just replacing them occasionally. I'm going to check out the rotors your using as a potential upgrade to what I'm using (thanks for the info!)

Meech
04-28-2012, 01:47 AM
I only ran the factory setup my first weekend. By the next track weekend I had bought Carbotechs, replacement rotors, upgraded brake fluid, and made 2in brake ducts (all I could get/fit in there). Rotors have been my only issue to date. At Summit I'm hitting 130-132, braking at the 3.5 and into a 90 degree (35-40) turn. At VIR I'm hitting 142-145, braking at the 1.5 (small dog leg, then 90 degree) to make a 35-40 mph turn...the other hard braking zone is 130mph into a 180 degree turn. I'm still running factory rotors, just replacing them occasionally. I'm going to check out the rotors your using as a potential upgrade to what I'm using (thanks for the info!)

Torque your lugnuts to 110 ft lbs in the usual star sequence, check them after each session, then check them again, might seem like overkill, but its what you need to do to prevent warping. There are some additional pics on the brake cooling setup Im running:

Meech
06-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Additional pics installed front views: