PDA

View Full Version : Roebling road race video

joelvan
04-16-2012, 09:24 AM
I raced @ roebling road saturday started 6. standing start I hurt the engine right off the start. ran most of the race with 7 cyls i never noticed any smoke until returning to the paddock I must of broke the rings or damaged the piston I finished 4th in class and 7th over allRoebling 2012 on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/40432674)

joelvan
04-16-2012, 05:01 PM
I now know that the engine dropped a valve guide. the head had been repaired earlier after dropping a valve on that cyl.
I am hoping the machinist will be able to repair it this time.

Hemissary
04-17-2012, 02:02 PM
Great job Joel; I'm envious :^)

How soon did you realize the engine was sub-par?
What did you hear?
Intake or exhaust valve?
Is the ratchet strap to prevent fore / aft seat movement?
What type tires and sizes (they seem very predictable when coming loose at speed)?
What is your weight distribution (seem very light in the rear)?
What version BMW you initially passed?
How long was the Camaro behind you?
Did he take advantage of you and the BMW mixing it up?
That green Z28 / baby blue car – did their tires give out and you caught them?
The white-winged stang caught you – your tires this time?

joelvan
04-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Great job Joel; I'm envious :^)
How soon did you realize the engine was sub-par?
What did you hear?
Intake or exhaust valve?
Is the ratchet strap to prevent fore / aft seat movement?
What type tires and sizes (they seem very predictable when coming loose at speed)?
What is your weight distribution (seem very light in the rear)?
What version BMW you initially passed?
How long was the Camaro behind you?
Did he take advantage of you and the BMW mixing it up?
That green Z28 / baby blue car did their tires give out and you caught them?
The white-winged stang caught you your tires this time?

1.and 2. the engine was down on power and the sound was way off from normal. it did the same thing in practice I thought it was fuel starvation I only had 1/4 tank then . I knew there was a problem a soon as I got on throttle exit turn 1. while on track I thought it might be a coil or injector. After the race I knew it had a bigger issue when I filled the paddock with smoke. .
3.I tore it down yesterday and found a guide on a intake valve had come out.
4. The rachett strap is attached to the right side net. I am required to have one because I don't have a full containment seat.
5. I was running some old leftover Hoosier R6 tries 275/35/18 they are the same tire as the Conti.challenge that others here are running. I am planning on using 305 Pirelli's in the [email protected] $90 Ea. I will be running in American Iron Extreme class where I can run any tire. To run in A.I. I have to run the spec. tire which is a 275/35/18 Toyo R1A they cost $350. each and I can burn up a set in 1 weekend.
6. Iirc it's 54/46
7. Im'm pretty sure it was a E36 BMW
8. We did a split start race the Camaro stock car was in the other group they did a normal rolling start then the AI group
pulled up to the S/F line to do our standing start while the first group had a half lap lead . I was actually bieng lapped by the Camaro and I was lapping the BMW.
9. the green Z and the Fox body were a lap cars from my group
10. my car was pushing terribly from the beginning and by the end of the race I had slowed by 5 sec. a lap my LF tire had cords hanging out both inside & out. I was barely able to keep the # 20 Mustang behind me before the checker flag

joelvan
04-23-2012, 09:28 PM
here is a shot form the standing start I started 6th

http://nasasoutheast.shutterfly.com/2775?eid=112