PDA

View Full Version : Road Atlanta spring race

joelvan
03-11-2012, 10:20 PM
My first race with the 6spd NASA-SE Pot-O-gold rush2012 on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/38298303)

Alcharger
03-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Wow I was glued to the video watching you duke it out!

Car sounds ......... like a race car, so cool hearing you go through the gears.

What place were you in when you ran out of gas?

CT-MSRT
03-12-2012, 12:29 PM
driving the hell out of it man. i'm curious where your power/weight ratio stacks up there. you were doing great against a number of cars, but the ones able to pass you did so at quite a clip and not all because of mistakes either. Some just out motored you down the straights each lap and you gave little to nothing in the corners so it wasn't a driver ability issue.

joelvan
03-12-2012, 02:33 PM
I was 4th in class and about 15th overall . they started the ST1-2 cars in behind us it makes for better watching
I still ran out of gas then Too I put in 15 gal before the race I guess I need to fill it to the top next time.
in American Iron we are limited to a 9.25:1 HP / 8.75:1 TQ ratio I am at the hp limit HP for my wieght and im down 30 lbs of TQ what im fighting is weight my car is over 300lbs heavier than the next car. Im to heavy the the size tire we have to run

CT-MSRT
03-12-2012, 02:55 PM
that makes sense then about the other cars coming through. Weight really is a SOB when you decide to run this platform. I wasn't sure if you re-cam'd the car after that thread you made a while back. What i am quite curious about is what you did for oiling the motor and how is it holding up?

joelvan
03-12-2012, 03:53 PM
The motor a stock below the heads. I run a setrab oil cooler and a extra Qt of oil in the pan. I am still trying to decide what class I am going to run. I can move up a run my stroker eng. then I can run any tire In the AIX class
It's hard for me to makeup my mind. Ive even thought about selling it . maybe I will buy a 944 and put my stroker in it.LOL

HERE IS Sundays Race.http://vimeo.com/38389703

CT-MSRT
03-13-2012, 06:46 AM
nice battle with that stang man. you 2 were really going at it.

joelvan
03-13-2012, 10:58 PM
nice battle with that stang man. you 2 were really going at it.
I fought him off as long as I could. He had a higher straight line speed. I could out brake him and pull him in the turns but my tires gave up over time . what pressures do you start with with the Conti's. I started out at 29psi.

RobAGD
03-13-2012, 11:43 PM
Joel - I assume you have pulled all the glass out of the car and went to Lexan ?

If I recall, your Cam maybe hurting you a bit, playing with that and the heads a little will gain you to the limits you have set for your class.

If you go the stroker route what limits are you under for that ? Because Cams have gotten a lot better for the big displacement engines. Ill check the videos out from work tomorrow

-R

joelvan
03-14-2012, 12:30 AM
Ive got lexan windows. Right now I have a stock shortblock and cam . ported big valve heads and ported intake kooks LT headers
IT last dynoed 410hp/399 tq 410 hp is my max 30 lbs TQ shy of the limit. the spec tires for AI are 275/35/18 R1A Toyos $350 EA the car is just too heavy for them to hold up for 20 laps. If I go up to AIX I am unlimited on HP and tire width I can buy 305/675/18 pirelli scrubs for $90 ea
Im on the fence trying to decide what to do. Im worried about putting the stroker in after breaking 3 cranks it's been sitting on a stand in my shop for a year.

CT-MSRT
03-14-2012, 07:34 AM
I fought him off as long as I could. He had a higher straight line speed. I could out brake him and pull him in the turns but my tires gave up over time . what pressures do you start with with the Conti's. I started out at 29psi.

freakin been there a few times. I usually start between 37 and 42PSI depending on the temp and track. I target around 50psi hot on a summer day. Things start to get weird and vibrate under braking around 55+ so i stay below that, but under 44, i get roll-over on the side wall when pushing. I am running at ~4650lbs with me in the car and a full tank so my pressures need to be at the upper limits to perform reliably.