PDA

View Full Version : Video: Carnage at Calabogie - SRT8 eats CTS-V; S4; Viper; Mustangs . . .

Northern Rider
10-26-2011, 10:22 AM
How many times have we heard that our SRT8's are "cool looking", have lots of straight line speed, but are not a serious driver's car when it comes to handling.

It is said they are too big, too heavy, and too . . . well . . . ah - too American . . .

How many of these videos do we have to put up to show just how well our cars handle?

Here is another one - this time with very experienced drivers on the course as the weekend was a private rental:

Calabogie Oct 15.wmv - YouTube (http://youtu.be/c8NfkrzeOp4?hd=1)

BTW: My 2006 300C SRT8 has a stock engine, transmission, brakes;

Modified: Quaife rear differential; Pedders bushings; Eibach springs and shocks; Trinity engine tune; Corsa Exhaust; AirHammer cold air intake; custom dash; extractor hood.

FreebirdSRT
10-26-2011, 10:25 AM
How many times have we heard that our SRT8's are "cool looking", have lots of straight line speed, but are not a serious driver's car when it comes to handling.

It is said they are too big, too heavy, and too . . . well . . . ah - too American . . .

How many of these videos do we have to put up to show just how well our cars handle?

Here is another one - this time with very experienced drivers on the course as the weekend was a private rental:

Calabogie Oct 15.wmv - YouTube (http://youtu.be/c8NfkrzeOp4?hd=1)

BTW: My 2006 300C SRT8 has a stock engine, transmission, brakes;

Modified: Quaife rear differential; Pedders bushings; Eibach springs and shocks; Trinity engine tune; Corsa Exhaust; AirHammer cold air intake; custom dash; extractor hood.

Awesome Pat, thanks for posting. I hope we see you at SpringFestival 7 in March 2012.

inferno6.1
10-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Very nice...I think you could hang with that Mazda racecar lol

FlyByU
10-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Cool, Id say you know that course just a little :)

Thanks for sharing

CT-MSRT
10-26-2011, 12:23 PM
the last CTS-V i saw on track, i never got to play with. Very skilled driver pushing the car. Even on slicks he out paced me quickly. Those cars are extremely fast on a track when rung out by a great driver.

BB2010SRT8
10-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Looking good out on the track, nice video by the way.

A member taught me how to post videos a few minutes ago. So I'm going to practice.

c8NfkrzeOp4&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

DarthCharger
10-26-2011, 01:00 PM
I don't know as it looks more like a drivers race to me than a comparison of the performance of the different rides. LOL

Northern Rider
10-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Awesome Pat, thanks for posting. I hope we see you at SpringFestival 7 in March 2012.

Thanks Marc. I'll be in Mexico for the winter and plan to hit SF7 on the way back - albeit in my GC . . .

Very nice...I think you could hang with that Mazda racecar lol

Naw- not with those cars, unless the driver was a noobie. :)

Cool, Id say you know that course just a little :)

Thanks for sharing

I'm learning it. It is very technical and favours handling over power. Just about everyone out there that day was a competent or expert driver. This also ties in to a video from Oct 1st (previously posted).

If you look closely, you will see the SRT8 close up in the turns on the car ahead and power out quickly beyond the apex with plenty of grip.

No matter what car you drive, the fundamental rule of road courses is "be fast out of the turns". What I like about the SRT8 is its lack of chassis flex. This means that you can set up almost neutral handling with no nasty surprises, allowing you to run close to the edge in the twisties.

My torque band is wide; power and throttle is now tuned to be smooth; and those Brembos are supurb - easy to trail brake with.

The SRT8 gives me great trust and confidence in the car.

On a twisty road course, it is the most fun you can have with your pants on!

Northern Rider
10-26-2011, 05:10 PM
the last CTS-V i saw on track, i never got to play with. Very skilled driver pushing the car. Even on slicks he out paced me quickly. Those cars are extremely fast on a track when rung out by a great driver.

Can't say that the driver of the CTS-V that I passed was a great driver - few drivers are truly great; however he knows the track, has decent lap times and his entry lines are textbook.

You will notice that I caught up to the S4 and the CTS-V in Temptation - which means the SRT8 was negotiating the corner faster than those two (stability; balance and grip). My exit speed past the apex was far faster than them. In fact, I got a bit of a pull (draft) off the S4 to slingshot past the CTS-V(I was right on the bumper of the S4 - the fisheye camera lens makes the front car look smaller and further away than it was). Neither ever caught up after that.

As to slicks - none of the street cars had slicks on that day. The spec open wheel guys had slicks. I was running Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the front and Pirelli PZero's on the rear.

Looking good out on the track, nice video by the way.

A member taught me how to post videos a few minutes ago. So I'm going to practice.

c8NfkrzeOp4&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

Thanks for doing that. I'm quite "video challenged"! BTW - you can run the vid in 720 HD with the sound cranked . . .

I don't know as it looks more like a drivers race to me than a comparison of the performance of the different rides. LOL

Acceleration; Braking; Lateral Grip; Transitional Stability are the 4 vehicle factors that come into play on a road circuit. Size of vehicle and weight really don't mean all that much, in my experience.

The SRT8 has nice acceleration (but won't catch a Viper or Turbo Porsche); very good braking; Lateral grip is very good - with the right tires.

Where the SRT8 shines is in transitional stability. I can guarantee you that on that cold, damp day the Viper pilot was white knuckling his way around the track, as were many others. If you have ever driven a 911 on this type of track, you will know what I mean.

S. Artee
10-26-2011, 05:29 PM
Great video. Thanks for sharing. :)

MAGFX
10-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Very cool. I really enjoyed riding along with you in the video!

Northern Rider
10-27-2011, 07:58 AM

Yes - that Viper and the 2nd Gen CTS-V, the Turbo 911 - are all faster than my SRT8 - in a straight line. On a fast track, such as Mosport or VIR, a competent driver would beat my times.

However, on a twisty, technical course such as Calabogie (and, I would guess - Laguna Seca), the SRT8, set up the way mine is, definitely has the advantage.

Ever since I put a pair of Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my front wheels; dialed in some negative camber and played with the dampening and rebound shock settings, my SRT8 is generating tremendous grip, with almost no understeer.

The grip is so good, even on a cold damp track, that I have bruises all up and down the left side of my body from the G forces slamming me against the driver's door. Maybe time for a full 5 point harness!

Two other cars that have the composure of my SRT8 on that circuit are 2 M3's . Both pilots have fiddled with suspension and tires - same as me. One is turning faster laps than me - the other is about the same.

BTW - if any of you want me to share my settings, just shoot me a PM.

Great video. Thanks for sharing. :)

Very cool. I really enjoyed riding along with you in the video!

Thanks for riding along, guys!

UpInSmoke
10-27-2011, 08:16 AM
Another great video. Thanks for sharing it. Hope to get out on a road course one of these days. Gotta be way more fun the 1/4 mile to me

Northern Rider
10-27-2011, 01:54 PM
Another great video. Thanks for sharing it. Hope to get out on a road course one of these days. Gotta be way more fun the 1/4 mile to me

Got that right! I've been involved in motorsports for over 50 years and have never figured out why - for every enthusiast that takes his car out on a road course, there have to be hundreds that would rather flock to the drag strips

- when -

-the average dragster will spend $$$$$$ more than those who lap

- for each 1/4 mile run, you get about 1 - 2 minutes seat time and only need to learn basic launch skills

-on a road course you'll run dozens of laps on a beautiful course with no speed limits and you will learn every aspect of car control and appreciate the full potential of your vehicle . . .

OK - you dragsters - Flame Away!!!! :stir:

FreebirdSRT
10-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Thanks Marc. I'll be in Mexico for the winter and plan to hit SF7 on the way back - albeit in my GC . . .

When do you make your trek to Mexico for the winter? If you pass through Houston on your way down south, let me know and we can meet up for dinner. If not, I will see you in Cali. in March 2012 for SF7.

Jweezy
10-27-2011, 04:28 PM
I will just not say anything.

Northern Rider
10-27-2011, 05:35 PM
When do you make your trek to Mexico for the winter? If you pass through Houston on your way down south, let me know and we can meet up for dinner. If not, I will see you in Cali. in March 2012 for SF7.

Sally and I will be rolling through Houston some time around New Years.

Dinner it is!

Hemissary
10-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Great video Patrick, and beautiful track...<sigh>

Edit: will be considering a cross-country drive and enjoy the local asphalt a summer vacation :^)

Northern Rider
10-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Great video Patrick, and beautiful track...<sigh>

Edit: will be considering a cross-country drive and enjoy the local asphalt a summer vacation :^)

If you come this way, Simon, I'll host you to do some lapping at beautiful Calabogie.

This track was designed by Alan Wilson, has 21 turns and every kind of challenge for a driver . . . and the asphalt is smooth as a baby's bottom . . .

Sorry to hear that the Calgary track has closed down.

Hemissary
10-27-2011, 10:49 PM
Thanks much for the invite...:^)

ONE LOVE
10-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Killer!

inferno6.1
10-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Got that right! I've been involved in motorsports for over 50 years and have never figured out why - for every enthusiast that takes his car out on a road course, there have to be hundreds that would rather flock to the drag strips

- when -

-the average dragster will spend $$$$$$ more than those who lap

- for each 1/4 mile run, you get about 1 - 2 minutes seat time and only need to learn basic launch skills

-on a road course you'll run dozens of laps on a beautiful course with no speed limits and you will learn every aspect of car control and appreciate the full potential of your vehicle . . .

OK - you dragsters - Flame Away!!!! :stir:

Making me want to go swap my drag radials for road course tires....I love the twisties.:thumbs_u:

Northern Rider
10-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Making me want to go swap my drag radials for road course tires....I love the twisties.:thumbs_u:

David . . . come on over to the Twisty Side! :racing:

inferno6.1
10-28-2011, 03:30 PM
David . . . come on over to the Twisty Side! :racing:

It's tempting...Looks like a ton of fun in your videos.:thumbs_u:

Northern Rider
10-30-2011, 10:40 AM
OK - for anyone interested on taking their LX (with its wonderful balanced suspension and brakes) out onto a road course, here's an article that may be of some help in getting prepared:

http://www.lxforums.com/board/f74/how-drive-lx-hemi-competitive-circuit-14453/ (http://www.lxforums.com/board/f74/how-drive-lx-hemi-competitive-circuit-14453/)

FreebirdSRT
10-30-2011, 01:44 PM
Sally and I will be rolling through Houston some time around New Years.

Dinner it is!

Awesome, I plan to be in town for the new years this year. Send me a PM when you are on the road and we will schedule date/time for dinner in Houston. See you soon my friend.

Northern Rider
12-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Awesome, I plan to be in town for the new years this year. Send me a PM when you are on the road and we will schedule date/time for dinner in Houston. See you soon my friend.

Won't be long now! We'll be rollin' south in about 2 weeks . . .