PDA

View Full Version : SRT8 Unleashed on Road Course - Several Cars Destroyed (VIDEO)

Northern Rider
10-02-2011, 11:27 PM
Went on a road racing circuit yesterday.

I'll let the video speak for itself . . .

(YOU CAN RUN IT AT 720 hd on full screen)

Calabogie Oct 1 2011.wmv - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI-r3oKZzTc)

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI-r3oKZzTc)

ONE LOVE
10-02-2011, 11:38 PM
BADASS! That track looks amazing!!!!!

Srt_Driver
10-02-2011, 11:42 PM
Awesome runs!is that baby stock or?

I don't have patience to wait for people to let me pass,I just like to do it like I'm playing gt5,just pass them anywhere on the track without hitting them

Sent from my DROID!

Quiknen
10-02-2011, 11:48 PM
aww the sound of a hemi on a race course.... soothing like melting butter ;)

Northern Rider
10-02-2011, 11:50 PM
Awesome runs!is that baby stock or?

I don't have patience to wait for people to let me pass,I just like to do it like I'm playing gt5,just pass them anywhere on the track without hitting them

Sent from my DROID!

Stock engine and tranny; stock brakes; Quaife LSD; Eibach Pro 2 Coilovers; Pedders bushings; log cooler for PS; AirHammer CAI; Corsa Exhaust; Trinity tuner - that's it.

As to passing - well, when I ran competitively in races - I passed anywhere and any which way possible to get 'er done. Yesterday we were just lapping and passing is only permitted on straights - otherwise they black flag you and toss you out for the day with no refund . . .

rtr0id
10-03-2011, 05:11 AM
thanks for the ride

Ron380
10-03-2011, 07:18 AM
Hey Rider! Good to see you're still getting in some track time up there! :thumbs_u:

CT-MSRT
10-03-2011, 07:24 AM
fun looking track.

Illinois Chaos
10-03-2011, 07:25 AM
I enjoyed that, thanks! Great vid.

lmhoward
10-03-2011, 07:37 AM
The track looks like a fun one. Good to see you getting out there and having a little adrenaline rush.

Les

FlyByU
10-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Very cool.

mjr5150
10-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Looking good Pat . Great ride along .

Northern Rider
10-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Yep - Calabogie is a great track - very smooth - 3 miles of every kind of twisty turns; off camber; multiple apex; decreasing radius . . . and lots of elevation changes.

It gives the brakes a good workout and the only fast way around there is to hit your marks and speeds perfectly into the corners so you can have some good exit speed coming out.

The SRT8 is so stable and predictable that I can push it to the edge (we are pulling over 1 G lateral in the corners) and, of course, the torque is almays there for some very quick acceleration.

Hemissary
10-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Great vid, great track! Our track will be no more shortly :^(

Do you guys have to drive with the driver's window open? Being near freezing (you said), do you recall the highest coolant temps you saw? What do you think of the SP2's versus the P-1's (which P1's btw)?

Northern Rider
10-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Great vid, great track! Our track will be no more shortly :^(

Do you guys have to drive with the driver's window open? Being near freezing (you said), do you recall the highest coolant temps you saw? What do you think of the SP2's versus the P-1's (which P1's btw)?

I heard you are losing your track! : ( Hope someone resurrects it.

We had to have both driver and passenger windows open. They said that in the case of "heavy" rain, we could close the passenger's, LOL!

I always run with my oil temp guage on and I ran 245 F all day. The highest it got was 252 F. I am running Brian's Quantum Blue fluids - oil; PS and tranny. Earlier this year we ran on some pretty hot days - up in the 90's and oil temps stayed under 270.

Tires! Now here's the real story. For the past 3 years I have been running Pirelli PZero's - 245 45 20's on front and 275 40 20's on the rear. I run a lot of negative camber so - after 3 summers, my fronts were done.

I heard that Michelin had deveoped a new street tire for large rear drivers that was getting some pretty good reviews from gearheads, so i decided to try a pair on the front:

Pilot Super Sport (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Super+Sport)

What a difference! I figure I picked up over 5 seconds a lap over the PZeros.

check6x
10-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Awesome run. I thought I heard the tires complain once when you were trying to catch Steve.

I have the Michelins on my Vette for open road racing. The speed rating of 186 is a must for open road. I have paid for two days at Ron Fellows track, I was sick during the initial date and have missed two roll over dates. The temp. will not be close to freezing and no trees.

Northern Rider
10-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Awesome run. I thought I heard the tires complain once when you were trying to catch Steve.

I have the Michelins on my Vette for open road racing. The speed rating of 186 is a must for open road. I have paid for two days at Ron Fellows track, I was sick during the initial date and have missed two roll over dates. The temp. will not be close to freezing and no trees.

You caught that, eh? I screwed up the entrance to turn 13 - had to lean on the front to line up on 14. Those were the from Michelin super sports that were howling in protest - LOL!

I like the idea of warm temps and no trees to run into!!! When you say Ron Fellows' track are you talkin' Mosport? didn't he just buy that track? EDIT: just saw that you live in warm, sunny Cali . . .

Hemissary
10-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Thanks, do you know what your max coolant temps were?

I don't see a 245/45 PSS, was it the 255 or 275/35?

Northern Rider
10-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Thanks, do you know what your max coolant temps were?

I don't see a 245/45 PSS, was it the 255 or 275/35?

Best I can recall, coolant temps were staying around 195-220 with a 180 T-Stat. Remember the day was very cool and Steve and i had some real good speed going.

I also took the advice of an SRT8 engineer and left the tranny in D. First time I've ever done that. He said it would keep revs and temps down. Seemed to work fine - was never short on power.

The new front tires are PSS 255-35-20's.

MattRobertson
10-03-2011, 04:20 PM
I noticed you didn't cut that black 911 any slack at *all* :-). Let him know your presence and intentions loud and clear.

I also took the advice of an SRT8 engineer
So *thats* why you had it in 'D'. No tranny lag when it kicked down? No kick out of the back end? With the more powerful strokers and such I don't think thats possible but man... I don't think I would do it even if it was. Hats off to you for being a good enough driver to make that work. I got around the hi-rev issue by going to slicks. Smaller size=gearing advantage, plus improved grip and you can just run in a higher gear (while going faster) everywhere. Took those rpm's right down.

Northern Rider
10-03-2011, 05:31 PM
I noticed you didn't cut that black 911 any slack at *all* :-). Let him know your presence and intentions loud and clear.

So *thats* why you had it in 'D'. No tranny lag when it kicked down? No kick out of the back end? With the more powerful strokers and such I don't think thats possible but man... I don't think I would do it even if it was. Hats off to you for being a good enough driver to make that work. I got around the hi-rev issue by going to slicks. Smaller size=gearing advantage, plus improved grip and you can just run in a higher gear (while going faster) everywhere. Took those rpm's right down.

Yeah - that black 911 was quite quick down the straight - Steve and I got close and personal so he'd know we were faster in the corners and plannin' to roll through.

There was some tranny lag - but the back end stayed planted with the new Eibach Pro 2 set up. I hear ya about the slicks and your final revs . . . food for thought, Matt!

Ron380
10-03-2011, 05:34 PM
As far as D vs. auto-stick: I had a totally different situation with the V6, AWD, however, my exit speeds and stability were a LOT better when I could select the right gear just before corner-entry. ;)

If ... When my Trans. Temps started to climb too high, then I would put it in D and do a "cool down lap", then I was good to go again for another couple of hot laps. I used the Aeroforce Interceptor gauge to monitor the temps.

MattRobertson
10-03-2011, 06:47 PM
If ... When my Trans. Temps started to climb too high, then I would put it in D and do a "cool down lap", then I was good to go again for another couple of hot laps. I used the Aeroforce Interceptor gauge to monitor the temps.That reminds me...

Pat, remember at Fontana when we were bombing around looking for parts? How I was concerned that my tranny temps weren't going down? OK it was a long time ago but I was... Anyway that day I had only one cooler in play and that was the behavior with one tranny cooler.

When I put the stock cooler back into play in second place, and made the aux stacked-plate cooler first in line, transmission temps became downright chilly. And they absolutely dropped like a rock when i took load off the car, so if I had had the second one in the day we were driving around, my tranny would have cooled to 165 and the factory tstat would have been closed by the time we hit the first auto parts store.

Total game changer for tranny temps. You might think about zigging thataway. The second cooler also took enough heat out of the stock cooler that water temps dropped 20 degrees since the heat was no longer being dumped into the radiator.

BUT you have a 300 with a stock front end. The SRT is more open than a C, but its still not *as* open. You saw Jim's solution.

joelvan
10-03-2011, 06:55 PM
I race the challenger in D it's in the right gear always.

Northern Rider
10-03-2011, 07:32 PM
That reminds me...

Pat, remember at Fontana when we were bombing around looking for parts? How I was concerned that my tranny temps weren't going down? OK it was a long time ago but I was... Anyway that day I had only one cooler in play and that was the behavior with one tranny cooler.

When I put the stock cooler back into play in second place, and made the aux stacked-plate cooler first in line, transmission temps became downright chilly. And they absolutely dropped like a rock when i took load off the car, so if I had had the second one in the day we were driving around, my tranny would have cooled to 165 and the factory tstat would have been closed by the time we hit the first auto parts store.

Total game changer for tranny temps. You might think about zigging thataway. The second cooler also took enough heat out of the stock cooler that water temps dropped 20 degrees since the heat was no longer being dumped into the radiator.

BUT you have a 300 with a stock front end. The SRT is more open than a C, but its still not *as* open. You saw Jim's solution.

I remember running all over Fontana as if it were yesterday. You were very worried about tranny temps . . . I like your solution. I think I have all the room I need to do this.

Have a look at the pics and tell me what you think -

http://www.300cforums.com/gallery/data/500/medium/open_front.jpg (http://www.300cforums.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5317&size=big&cat=&ppuser=538)

http://www.300cforums.com/gallery/data/500/medium/stepping_tail_out_in_the_wet1.jpg (http://www.300cforums.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5318&size=big&cat=&ppuser=538)

Sevenernine
10-03-2011, 08:04 PM
That was awesome! Thanks for posting it up.

I gotta get to the track here sometime (Topeka)... but I probably won't get to this year. I just don't see me having the budget for burning through brakes and tires that quick. It'd be SO fun though.

MattRobertson
10-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Have a look at the pics and tell me what you think -

http://www.300cforums.com/gallery/data/500/medium/open_front.jpg (http://www.300cforums.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5317&size=big&cat=&ppuser=538)

uhhh... you run it with no fascia? Or thats just a pic without the fascia?

If the latter, I can guarantee you have the room. Waaay back in the day, Jim and I were both working on cooler setups. Jim was going after the Police Oil Cooler, trying to get Mopar to make it available as a kit (which thanks to him it eventually was). He was pissed it was taking so long and heard what I was up to. We talked and given my install schedule, he went ahead and visited Bob in Sacramento and he was actually the first Frankencooler installation before the whole thing was publicly announced after my build.

http://www.lelandwest.com/auto-tech/images/frankencooler04.jpg

You know all this, right? I'm just misunderstanding?

Buff
10-03-2011, 10:20 PM
Great ride, your SRT tore it up.

Shelby
10-03-2011, 10:31 PM

What are the 2 horizontal black items on top of the bumper?

Northern Rider
10-03-2011, 10:40 PM
That was awesome! Thanks for posting it up.

I gotta get to the track here sometime (Topeka)... but I probably won't get to this year. I just don't see me having the budget for burning through brakes and tires that quick. It'd be SO fun though.

Actually - just 3 sets pads and just changed my rotors a few weeks ago at 87,000 miles.

My Pirelli PZeros lasted 3 seasons - which isn't all that bad.

uhhh... you run it with no fascia? Or thats just a pic without the fascia?

If the latter, I can guarantee you have the room. Waaay back in the day, Jim and I were both working on cooler setups. Jim was going after the Police Oil Cooler, trying to get Mopar to make it available as a kit (which thanks to him it eventually was). He was pissed it was taking so long and heard what I was up to. We talked and given my install schedule, he went ahead and visited Bob in Sacramento and he was actually the first Frankencooler installation before the whole thing was publicly announced after my build.

You know all this, right? I'm just misunderstanding?

Matt - that's just a pic taken after we put the big log cooler on for the PS.

I had forgotten that Jim had the first Frankencooler install . . . way cool!

Jim was never one to wait around when he wanted something. He was so kind to me back then, despite his own health battles.

Jim was a quality man - a man who gently reminded me that life was for the living and that we only have the moment we are in.

I think of Jim, every time I turn a wheel on a circuit.

He is truly missed.