PDA

View Full Version : Chasing down a Ferrari 360 Challenge at Limerock

NYC_SRT8
07-02-2011, 08:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOVhCpa1xpY&feature=youtube_gdata

The ferrari driver wasn't too happy when we got back to the paddock...lol. His words was "...that f*cking 300..."

inferno6.1
07-02-2011, 08:16 PM
Awesome job man...Those 360 Challenge Ferrari's are no joke.

millertime
07-02-2011, 08:17 PM
That was awesome nice job, I would love to have seen the look on that guys face when you went by him.

MOL SRT-8
07-02-2011, 08:19 PM
No words can justify how great that video is. lol

Ron380
07-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Way ta go buddy! :thumbs_u:

Passing Ferrari's is fun! :mrgreen:

legmaker
07-02-2011, 08:41 PM
very well done for sure!!!!

07-02-2011, 08:44 PM
no words can justify how great that video is. Lol

x2!!

MattRobertson
07-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Awesome work, Will! I take it the new wider wheels are a plus.

For those who don't know, a Challenge Ferrari is essentially model from the factory that is stripped down as a dedicated track car. They started out as a homologation for a Ferrari challenge race series. Dunno if its still going but the cars are.

So chances are this was not the typical weekend Ferrari driver who is totally out of his league on track.

hemiwagn
07-02-2011, 09:08 PM
Now that is COOL!
Props to the Ferrari driver in letting you by; so often their pride can't let them be overtaken by a big American sedan.

Well done, and don't forget you were pretty well hanging right off that Porsche's butt!

NYC_SRT8
07-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Awesome work, Will! I take it the new wider wheels are a plus.

For those who don't know, a Challenge Ferrari is essentially model from the factory that is stripped down as a dedicated track car. They started out as a homologation for a Ferrari challenge race series. Dunno if its still going but the cars are.

So chances are this was not the typical weekend Ferrari driver who is totally out of his league on track.

Thanks Matt! It was even more fun to hear him say "f#cking 300..." after the session...lol

You are 100% correct. This driver had years of seat time on the track.

mark83
07-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Impressive dude... Congrats!

formerice
07-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Imagine seeing that in your rear view! Almost like opening the door to the Grim Reaper!:wink:

MoPOWeR-349
07-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Thats awesome! Nice driving...

1FST4DR
07-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Awesome video Thanks for posting!

Magnum375 Jr
07-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Dayum Will, great driving.

bryan_k47
07-02-2011, 10:31 PM
Well done, best video I watched in a long time !!!!

Hemissary
07-02-2011, 10:35 PM
At about 45sec in, you smelled blood...

Was this just open track action, or an endurance race?

FlyByU
07-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Whats really impressive besides Will and his balls of steel, is that is a stock bottom end 6.1. Sure it has cam, heads, headers and the other bolt on's but its nothing too fancy. Big ass brakes and sticky ass tires with that HEMI motor are really proving to be sick on the road courses.

Good sh!t Will, congrats.

srt007
07-02-2011, 10:48 PM
that was f*ckingggg awesomeeee!!!!!! nice driving!!!!!

Illinois Chaos
07-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Most impressive. Seriously representing, main!

ChargerGirl
07-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Haha! Sweet!

mofoninja
07-02-2011, 11:02 PM
That... Is what I'm talking about! Great driving!

SRT8U
07-03-2011, 12:27 AM
Awesome!!!!!!!!

Goehner
07-03-2011, 01:02 AM
Very cool, nice video.

lafrad
07-03-2011, 02:08 AM
Nice Will!!!

srt8sander
07-03-2011, 02:15 AM
very nice

sox
07-03-2011, 03:29 AM
wau, no words about this!

7th District
07-03-2011, 03:38 AM
Great video. :racing:

NEMES1S
07-03-2011, 04:09 AM
Some very good driving man wow. Words cant express ur talent good with that beast

NYC_SRT8
07-03-2011, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the props everyone. It was lots of fun out there on Friday. The reason for all the high powered cars that day was because it was a unmuffled event. SCDA is one of the few non-pro clubs who get 2 unmuffled days. Limerock only have a handful per year and most go to professional events like Nascar and Grand Am so all the big boys came out to play. They were a few race teams there testing as well. They had there own sessions on the track though.

SRT-ED
07-03-2011, 08:52 AM
Sick ass video bruh... Now i see why you calmed down driving on the streets. Your letting it all out on the track...:rock:

RobAGD
07-03-2011, 09:01 AM
Sick ass video bruh... Now i see why you calmed down driving on the streets. Your letting it all out on the track...:rock:

WaHt! No more high speed 90* turns at unknown speeds ? :ninja:

Great bit of driving there, that has to be a blast.

-R

CT-MSRT
07-03-2011, 09:05 AM
He's a good guy. Bit emotional though. Ran with him 2x before (only once at limerock on same unmuffled day last year). He doesn't like being passed but at least watches his mirrors. It took me longer to get by him since he'd walk me on the main straight and no-name.

Looks like you got his number pretty good though. Well done.

mjr5150
07-03-2011, 10:09 AM
You've come a long way grasshopper . Looks like the car's finally set up to match the driver . Like Dan said , you hit all the right spots ( brakes , tires , etc ) . Way to run him down dude .

robsrt
07-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Great video! Looks like you were having a blast.

bklynmag
07-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Now that's how it's done.......way to give him hell.

MattRobertson
07-03-2011, 05:30 PM
... It took me longer to get by him since...
OK so we've established this guy in the race-ready Ferrari has been passed by a sedan.

And a station wagon.

Got it. Carry on.
:racing:

NWH_300C
07-03-2011, 05:48 PM
wow, impressive, thank you for posting that video

thatismytruck
07-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Nicely Done!!!

I've done two SCDA events myself with my previous car (2000 VW Beetle 1.8T modded pretty good). My insructor taught me the same line around the track that you took. It was super fun passing the other Novices in their GT3's M3's, etc. The only thing that passed me were the damn Lotus Exige's. The insructors were always so giddy about the Beetle passing everything.

I hope to bring my Charger there soon. Again, nice Job!!!

Cibalo
07-03-2011, 06:37 PM
very cool Will! it is such a good feeling when your street car is blowing past track only cars that cost a lot more

lmhoward
07-03-2011, 08:12 PM
That's amazing and I'm thrilled to see it! Where I live and race the Ferrari's only run with other Ferrari's. Bummer. I know how much the "wide rims/narrow tires" helped me on stock rubber bushings with street tires and I'm curious to hear your thoughts. Mostly because I plan to step up to the sticky stuff myself next year.

Les

I went back and watched the may video. Nice adjustments! What data logging system do you use? Trackmate?

A.W.
07-04-2011, 01:54 AM
Amazing, thank you for posting that video. I watched it 2 times. So hard not to drool!!

Desertcharger
07-04-2011, 02:05 AM
Awesome driving! Love that pass!:rock:

Frozen_
07-04-2011, 04:40 AM
Nice, whats your lap times like?

CT-MSRT
07-04-2011, 07:00 AM
Nice, whats your lap times like?

lol, watch the vid yet?

Will was the first of us to break into the 1:02.xx time range. It's a great thing to see progress and have something to chase after.

Bailman
07-04-2011, 07:52 AM
Imagine seeing that in your rear view! :wink:

I have... at Englishtown! :wink:

Then I saw it that way traveling to ATCO for 20 Seconds. Then well... he was gone well outta my sight.:doh::thumbs_u::not_worth.

You found your niche, Will.:racing:

slideway
07-04-2011, 08:02 AM
Awesome! Great job out there Will! :beerchug:

CTRaider
07-04-2011, 08:16 AM
The funny thing is, Will was telling me during the morning sessions that his car was running fine, but he knew he could be faster if he had something to chase. Then along comes the Ferrari. The rest is history.

Biig O
07-04-2011, 08:30 AM
Great driving, great video

EricG
07-04-2011, 10:07 AM
Great video Wil!!!

NYC_SRT8
07-04-2011, 10:51 AM
That's amazing and I'm thrilled to see it! Where I live and race the Ferrari's only run with other Ferrari's. Bummer. I know how much the "wide rims/narrow tires" helped me on stock rubber bushings with street tires and I'm curious to hear your thoughts. Mostly because I plan to step up to the sticky stuff myself next year.

Les

I went back and watched the may video. Nice adjustments! What data logging system do you use? Trackmate?

With the wider rim and larger contact patch I definitely have more grip. I still have outer edge wear on the front tires but that's from not having enough negative camber in the front. I'm fixing that next weekend.

I changed my line at turn 1,2 and 3. I was able to get higher entry and exit speeds by doing so.

I use racelogic performance box. If I had trackmate the video would be intergrated into the datalogging. That's a really nice system. I just don't think I need it. The performance box and gopro combo is working nicely so far.

NYC_SRT8
07-04-2011, 10:54 AM
The funny thing is, Will was telling me during the morning sessions that his car was running fine, but he knew he could be faster if he had something to chase. Then along comes the Ferrari. The rest is history.

True story! Having a "rabbit" to chase keeps you on your p's and q's.

NYC_SRT8
07-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Thanks again all for the kind words!!!!:thumbs_u:

Cam
07-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Damn will you're a wildman!. That so kicked some serious ass! . Obviously you know that track well, your lines and smoothness were dead on.

lmhoward
07-04-2011, 11:19 AM
With the wider rim and larger contact patch I definitely have more grip. I still have outer edge wear on the front tires but that's from not having enough negative camber in the front. I'm fixing that next weekend.

I changed my line at turn 1,2 and 3. I was able to get higher entry and exit speeds by doing so.

I use racelogic performance box. If I had trackmate the video would be intergrated into the datalogging. That's a really nice system. I just don't think I need it. The performance box and gopro combo is working nicely so far.

Additional static negative camber will help but I suspect that you and I both are suffering from the rubber bushings deforming. (Are you on the stock bushings?) They can deform enough to take out 2 of negative camber at peak G's. My front tires are wearing evenly with some outer edge rolling, but nothing like before. I currently have -2.2 up front.

I'll look into the racelogic box. And keep those videos coming.

Les

NYC_SRT8
07-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Additional static negative camber will help but I suspect that you and I both are suffering from the rubber bushings deforming. (Are you on the stock bushings?) They can deform enough to take out 2 of negative camber at peak G's. My front tires are wearing evenly with some outer edge rolling, but nothing like before. I currently have -2.2 up front.

I'll look into the racelogic box. And keep those videos coming.

Les

I'm still runninng stock bushing. I'll be Pedderized early next year. By the end of next week I should be at -2.5 to -2.8 camber in the front. Right now I'm at -1.3.

SpeedysrtC
07-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Well done! When your missed the apex you emediately lost a few yards and thats all it takes. What suspention do you run and what tires?
I would have loved to be there and hear the Ferrari drivers excuses...

Fredrik

NYC_SRT8
07-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Well done! When your missed the apex you emediately lost a few yards and thats all it takes. What suspention do you run and what tires?
I would have loved to be there and hear the Ferrari drivers excuses...

Fredrik

Exactly, when I hit the apex too soon I went over bumpy parts of the road that unsettled the chasis and made me lose lots of speed.

I have bwoody endlinks, hotchkis sway bars, bc racing coilovers and DC sport strut tower bar. My wheels are Forgestar 18x10 that are custom made and tires are Continental tire series slicks 275x35x18.

HULK
07-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Wow love the nonbelievers commenting on your YouTube video. Some people just want to argue fr the sake of arguing. All the excuses in the world can be made up but you cannot deny what happened in the video. Loved the comment "Well if I'm catching him in the turns... Then I guess I'm just out-braking him right?" Lmao.

Great video, Will!

Hemissary
07-04-2011, 03:00 PM
I added my 0.02 to the Youtube banter...

MattRobertson
07-04-2011, 03:02 PM
I still have outer edge wear on the front tires what are your cold front pressures?

True story! Having a "rabbit" to chase keeps you on your p's and q's.Yup. You'll always do your best with someone to chase. Preferably who's a little better than you. I ran my first sub 1:50 on Laguna chasing an old fully race-prepped Cougar I couldn't catch.

Not so sure that guy on the Youtube comments is an anonymous non-believer. His last statement mentions how he's heard info 'from the Ferrari crew'.

Looks like you hit more than one nerve.

joelvan
07-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Will, it might look cheesy on the street. Put some areo on it front and rear you will drop your times even significatley

Frozen_
07-04-2011, 03:44 PM
lol, watch the vid yet?

Will was the first of us to break into the 1:02.xx time range. It's a great thing to see progress and have something to chase after.

Ya I watched the video, I'm asking lap timeS. Is he's running 1:02.xx every lap? or his he running 1:03's and a occasional 1:02?

digitalJEDI
07-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Amazing job man, I can't wait till I get my car to the point where I take it from the strip to the track. Straight lines are fun and all, but my heart lives in the twisties!

And the comments for your vid are good for a laugh, lol! Some real winners posting there.

NYC_SRT8
07-04-2011, 06:39 PM
what are your cold front pressures?

Yup. You'll always do your best with someone to chase. Preferably who's a little better than you. I ran my first sub 1:50 on Laguna chasing an old fully race-prepped Cougar I couldn't catch.

Not so sure that guy on the Youtube comments is an anonymous non-believer. His last statement mentions how he's heard info 'from the Ferrari crew'.

Looks like you hit more than one nerve.

My cold tire pressure are 42psi.

It was fun yapping with those guys on youtube but it got old quick. I'll no longer reply. Like the last thing I said to them. I know what I did, seen, recorded data and the outcome. They can believe what they want. If it's the ferrari crew who is bitter oh well. They can find me on NJMP lightning course Aug 6th and 7th. lol

Will, it might look cheesy on the street. Put some areo on it front and rear you will drop your times even significatley

Once this becomes my track only car I'll do all sort of things. Hopefully next year.

Ya I watched the video, I'm asking lap timeS. Is he's running 1:02.xx every lap? or his he running 1:03's and a occasional 1:02?

When there was no traffic in front of me I was running between 1:02:XX - 1:03:XX. I ran several 1:02:XX. Do you still have your charger? You should come out to the track with the Z06.

Cibalo
07-04-2011, 07:48 PM
True story! Having a "rabbit" to chase keeps you on your p's and q's.
totally agree! my fastest lap back in Feb came when I was chasing a track prep'd S2000

it's amazing how little respect the LX gets at the track until people have to start giving you the point by. I had a guy in a porsche carrera 4s come up to me after a session and say "When I saw you were in my class but staged at the rear I was happy because then I knew you wouldn't get in my way. Then towards the end of the session I see that I'm in your way and had to give you a point by." That statement was pretty common the rest of the weekend lol

way to represent Will

cmn1
07-05-2011, 09:33 AM
Awesome video. I have a vid of me passing a guy in a F430 while driving my Jeep. He needed a driver mod though. Still fun to do.

MattRobertson
07-05-2011, 11:05 AM
My cold tire pressure are 42psi.

Well that counts out the easy answer of tire pressure as a possible solution to your corner wear issue. I assume your hot pressures were in the 60-65 psi range if you started out at 42? That would be about perfect.

I deal with corner wear a little differently so as to keep my street drivability.

Tires start out fresh on the front and stay there for a couple of track days.
They go to the tire store and get flipped on the rims, so as to wear the other edge down. Two more track days pass.
Its Day 5. Rotate them to the rear. Now they wear the centers and leave the corners alone. They are good for Day 5 and Day 6 in the back, and are getting pretty thin all around at Day 6, with wear now being even across the board.
Bonus time. Maybe they go up front for a day or two until they are done. My record for wear on slicks is 7.5 days until retirement (cords visible).

I may move a tire from right to left side in a given day to even out wear as well.

Adjusting the camber is the best track option, but I need to drive on the street too, plus hundreds of miles to and from the track, usually.

Frozen_
07-06-2011, 01:21 AM
When there was no traffic in front of me I was running between 1:02:XX - 1:03:XX. I ran several 1:02:XX. Do you still have your charger? You should come out to the track with the Z06.

Nice and your running on R6's? If so whats the wear like? Still have the charger and the Z06 gets tracked regularly. Looking for another one to build a ST1 car.

NYC_SRT8
07-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Well that counts out the easy answer of tire pressure as a possible solution to your corner wear issue. I assume your hot pressures were in the 60-65 psi range if you started out at 42? That would be about perfect.

I deal with corner wear a little differently so as to keep my street drivability.

Tires start out fresh on the front and stay there for a couple of track days.
They go to the tire store and get flipped on the rims, so as to wear the other edge down. Two more track days pass.
Its Day 5. Rotate them to the rear. Now they wear the centers and leave the corners alone. They are good for Day 5 and Day 6 in the back, and are getting pretty thin all around at Day 6, with wear now being even across the board.
Bonus time. Maybe they go up front for a day or two until they are done. My record for wear on slicks is 7.5 days until retirement (cords visible).
I may move a tire from right to left side in a given day to even out wear as well.

Adjusting the camber is the best track option, but I need to drive on the street too, plus hundreds of miles to and from the track, usually.

My tire rotation is very very similiar. However, I add a swap of the front and rear tires at the track after every 2 sessions.

After speaking to a race team member who knows a lil bit about a LX on the track he suggested, in this order.

1. Stiffer front sway bar
2. More negative camber
3. stiffer springs

I'll be trying a few things in the coming weeks and see what it results to on the track.

I'm not worried about the negative camber since I rarely drive the car. Maybe 20 miles per week and my furthest track will be watkins glen. I'll only visit that once a year. All other tracks are a 100 miles or less. Hopefully next year I can make it into my perminent track car and have the new Jeep or 300 srt8 as my daily driver.

totally agree! my fastest lap back in Feb came when I was chasing a track prep'd S2000

it's amazing how little respect the LX gets at the track until people have to start giving you the point by. I had a guy in a porsche carrera 4s come up to me after a session and say "When I saw you were in my class but staged at the rear I was happy because then I knew you wouldn't get in my way. Then towards the end of the session I see that I'm in your way and had to give you a point by." That statement was pretty common the rest of the weekend lol

way to represent Will

Thanks!

Nice and your running on R6's? If so whats the wear like? Still have the charger and the Z06 gets tracked regularly. Looking for another one to build a ST1 car.

I'm running the same tires the Continental racing series use. I believe they are very similar to the Hoosier R6. When is your next track event with the Z06?

MattRobertson
07-06-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm running the same tires the Continental racing series use. I believe they are very similar to the Hoosier R6.From what I hear, they are made by Hoosier with Continental labeling and the compound comes in midway between an R100 and an R80. My R100's are a good 4 seconds per lap (a 1:54 lap becomes 1:50) better than an R6. Since the R80 is stickier than an R100, we're talking about something WAY better than an R6 with the heavier construction of a bona fide race radial.

Frozen_
07-07-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm running the same tires the Continental racing series use. I believe they are very similar to the Hoosier R6. When is your next track event with the Z06?

Probably BeaveRun July 30th. What kind of life do you get out of your tires?

From what I hear, they are made by Hoosier with Continental labeling and the compound comes in midway between an R100 and an R80. My R100's are a good 4 seconds per lap (a 1:54 lap becomes 1:50) better than an R6. Since the R80 is stickier than an R100, we're talking about something WAY better than an R6 with the heavier construction of a bona fide race radial.

Thats also my understanding of the "Continental" tire. I have heard it is closer to a R80 then a R100, but I'm not sure I believe that.

Freedom
11-20-2012, 07:47 PM
I have to ask was the guy in his 220hp V6 Taurus right on your a++ waiting to pass you after you passed the 360? LOL

hecatomb
11-20-2012, 08:30 PM
That was an exhilarating race. I got a bit of an adrenaline rush just watching that video. Great post!

My Hemi
11-25-2012, 04:25 PM
What a show off will...lol....what no more 1/4 mile races??? How have you been man???

NYC_SRT8
11-25-2012, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys.

Gerald, where the hell have you been? I hope all is well with you.

My Hemi
11-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Hey Will im great...Im married now to a beautiful women..she is awesome...Im trying to get back into the game..looking for an SRT8 Charger...I also did finsih my mustang went into a different direction tho i went turbo...just need a cage to complete it...We need to catch up and talk...

bklynmag
11-26-2012, 11:07 PM
Hly Crap . . . .where the heck have you been hiding?!

Schen
11-26-2012, 11:24 PM
How in the hell did I miss this thread?

Anyway, I sent the video to Ralph. :mrgreen:

--RS

Schen
11-27-2012, 09:59 AM
Hmmm, just found this. Seems like a rebuttal. I think you pissed in his cheerios Will based on the description. LOL

http://youtu.be/Za4-A9re-EA

--RS

My Hemi
11-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Hly Crap . . . .where the heck have you been hiding?!

Not hiding...lol...i was around...I built a fox body mustang.just need a cage for it.....at the time i couldnt keep the Magnum...BUT im looking at SRT8 chargers...I want back in the game...How have you been?...

bklynmag
11-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Good tks. . . . lot's been going on with the platform, you should have tons of good reading to catch up on. . .lol.

Put up a thread about your stang. . sounds like a fun project. . . . .we won't break your chops too much about it:mrgreen:

Carfinish
11-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Gerrard good to see you on here... just in case everyone forgot what he looks like LOL...some old time vids

ndHmm0Z0IYU

acammer
11-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Original Poster - what say you to the Ferrari's rebuttal video?

My Hemi
11-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Good tks. . . . lot's been going on with the platform, you should have tons of good reading to catch up on. . .lol.

Put up a thread about your stang. . sounds like a fun project. . . . .we won't break your chops too much about it:mrgreen:

I can do that...over 500 rwhp 14 psi of pure turbo..Meth injected.....lol...its a sick ride....i will start a thread were should i post it?????

My Hemi
11-27-2012, 01:46 PM
Gerrard good to see you on here... just in case everyone forgot what he looks like LOL...some old time vids

ndHmm0Z0IYU

STELL how are you man...i saw you at e-town a few months ago..we were racing my wifes car...im trying so hard to get back in the game its killing me....LOL.;...Sorry i didnt come by to say hello you looked busy...didnt want to bother you...man it might be like old times again...dont know which way i will approach this one tho..hmmmm nitrous,...maybe Turbo...LOL....

Carfinish
11-27-2012, 02:30 PM
doing ok...never to busy to say hi...make sure you say hi next time. Would have been good to see you.

My Hemi
11-27-2012, 02:34 PM
doing ok...never to busy to say hi...make sure you say hi next time. Would have been good to see you.

You got it Stell hey you never know might be at the spring e-town events with you guys again....

TheAxe
11-27-2012, 02:47 PM
Enjoyed that video. Not much body roll on that 300 from what I could see.

Hemi31
11-27-2012, 03:00 PM
You got it Stell hey you never know might be at the spring e-town events with you guys again....Whats E-town?

My Hemi
11-27-2012, 03:15 PM
Whats E-town?

Your busting my Chops right Eric??? lol...Englishtown raceway Park in NJ.....:mrgreen:

Hemissary
11-27-2012, 03:15 PM
Nice! Had a similar experience this summer with a "very" disgruntled Ferrari owner. He started out belligerent, but as I matched him word-for-word (OK...I sorta buried him) with a smile on my face he got hostile.

Stated (amongst other things) I had "no business being there with that POS Dodge...". You can imagine what ensued.

When the dust settled, my parting volley nearly started a riot; "tell you what loser, if you're so cut-up over this I'll trade ya cars". I immediately looked up as if pondering the idea, looked at him, shook my head with a smile and said "nah...not worth it".

Dabits
11-27-2012, 06:21 PM
nice! Had a similar experience this summer with a "very" disgruntled ferrari owner. He started out belligerent, but as i matched him word-for-word (ok...i sorta buried him) with a smile on my face he got hostile.

Stated (amongst other things) i had "no business being there with that pos dodge...". You can imagine what ensued.

When the dust settled, my parting volley nearly started a riot; "tell you what loser, if you're so cut-up over this i'll trade ya cars". I immediately looked up as if pondering the idea, looked at him, shook my head with a smile and said "nah...not worth it".

lol