PDA

View Full Version : Brake fade say hello to my little friend...

NYC_SRT8
05-13-2011, 09:25 PM
Raybestos ST-41 for the front and ST-42 for the rear...

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r305/ny_smasher/IMG00014-20110513-2118.jpg

bigjim
05-13-2011, 10:29 PM
Do they keep idiots like me from setting fire to their piston boots after 45 minutes of chasing Corvettes on Mosport? Replaced the calipers last night.

sergeo'shemi
05-13-2011, 11:00 PM
the company's name sounds like some disease

NYC_SRT8
05-14-2011, 06:49 AM
Do they keep idiots like me from setting fire to their piston boots after 45 minutes of chasing Corvettes on Mosport? Replaced the calipers last night.

I'm not sure about that. Was the fire caused by the pads overheating? I can tell you the ST-41 is one of the top race pads out. It's the same pads a lot of Nascar teams (Tony Stewart to name one) use on road course tracks. From what I read if you're running anything less than slicks you will be engaging ABS when applying the brakes. You'll need some heat in them to make it work properly though. Approximately 600F. I choose ST-42 for the rear because it doesn't need as much heat to get working and from my rotor temp paint the rear is seeing 400F degrees less than the front.

fnkychkn
05-14-2011, 08:38 AM
guess you should have let them catch up after 30 minutes. :)

bigjim
05-14-2011, 09:04 AM
LOL, yeah Pete, it was during the 42 minute vid that the big black cloud appeared in the slow down for Moss corner. I am going to have to try some other stuff, including cooling hoses and fans next year, too much going on this year. It did happen with the street tires on, when I had to slow alot MORE.

lmhoward
05-14-2011, 09:29 AM
A little off topic but with all this talk about getting hot I wonder how ofter you repack the wheel bearings. Mine got hot enough to melt some of the grease the last time out. I had streaks of grease on my Forgestars.

Les

ONE LOVE
05-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Stainless steel brake lines!!!!

NYC_SRT8
05-14-2011, 12:53 PM
A little off topic but with all this talk about getting hot I wonder how ofter you repack the wheel bearings. Mine got hot enough to melt some of the grease the last time out. I had streaks of grease on my Forgestars.

Les

From my knowledge none of the road racers on the forum had a wheel bearing failure. ~knock on wood~. I've run the car at Monticello(high speed, 17+ turn coarse) when it was about 85 degrees out side temp and had not one issue with wheel bearing. With 14-16 events under my belt and most with slicks running as hard as possible.

NYC_SRT8
05-14-2011, 12:55 PM
LOL, yeah Pete, it was during the 42 minute vid that the big black cloud appeared in the slow down for Moss corner. I am going to have to try some other stuff, including cooling hoses and fans next year, too much going on this year. It did happen with the street tires on, when I had to slow alot MORE.

Cooling hoses will help with keeping rotor temps down if installed correctly.

NYC_SRT8
05-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Stainless steel brake lines!!!!

Stainless steel lines are a must if running hard on the track. However, it won't help with keeping temps down at all. It's main purpose is for pedal feel.

lmhoward
05-14-2011, 01:22 PM
Stainless lines are more resistant to debris damage. You'd be surprised what a rock in the right place can do. That's why I run them anyway. I'm repacking my wheel bearings this week as a preventative measure since some grease has escaped the cap. I was just wondering how your heavy cars were dealing with the extreme heat from braking. I've experienced what happens to the pads when you exceed their temperature limits. New to nothing in one 20 minute session.

Les

xevilpetex
05-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Stainless steel lines are a must if running hard on the track. However, it won't help with keeping temps down at all. It's main purpose is for pedal feel.

I havnt run SS brake lines for the last two years and havent had any issues with pedal feel. I installed a set along with my most recent set of fresh calipers earlier this month and havent exactly felt the night and day difference that most people rave about. I think they're more hype then anything.

Super Bee 555
05-14-2011, 05:46 PM
SS brake lines are a must.
I was running Milwaukee mile 2 years ago, full oval and infield set up, lost driver side line at 120 mph during heavy braking setting up for the infield portion of the course, fortuntly I was able to stay on the oval and go through the cones and stay on the oval and get back into the pits, if it would have happened on the infield the only thing stopping me would have been a concrete wall.

Super Bee 555
05-14-2011, 05:51 PM

Les
I thought SRT 8 Wheel bearing were sealed bearing. If I'm wrong I have not touched by wheel bearings in 2 years since I had them replaced when I had the SC installed.:spock::blam:

REDDOG
05-14-2011, 06:16 PM
What is your rotor life like with those pads? You can't be running the stock rotors with a pad like that.

joelvan
05-14-2011, 06:55 PM
I've been through a couple hubs front and rear. I noticed having more brake pad knock back when scrubbing slicks more than hearing any noise. The way I check them is to remove the brake pads and bolt the wheel back on and feel for tightness.

NYC_SRT8
05-14-2011, 08:50 PM
What is your rotor life like with those pads? You can't be running the stock rotors with a pad like that.

I don't know for sure. This will be my 1st time using them. I know of a few guys running ST-43 which are in the middle of ST-41 and ST-42 with stock srt calipers and rotors. I'll be using Stoptech calipers with R1 concept rotors. With EBC blue stuff I get 5 track days. From what I've read as long as you keep the Raybestos pads hot they won't destroy rotors at a rapid rate. Track only pads and that's what I plan to use it as.

bigjim
05-14-2011, 09:59 PM
I did loose a front bearing last time on track, same side that caught fire. I bounced through a hard left after loosing traction. Within two laps I heard the bearing howling. Pete (fnkyckn) brought me a bearing/hub assy and got me back on the road.

Can't do any better than having a chkn around!!!

CT-MSRT
05-25-2011, 07:53 AM
annihilated my front drivers side bearing. Passenger has some play as well. Replacing both this week.

Your's will not last you either Will, it is just a matter of time.

NYC_SRT8
05-25-2011, 08:59 AM
annihilated my front drivers side bearing. Passenger has some play as well. Replacing both this week.

Your's will not last you either Will, it is just a matter of time.

I'm ordering 2 for the front right now. They are not bad on my car but as you said it's only a matter of time. I'd hate to miss a track day because one gave out during a session.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/compatibility-chart/B000IYHXDK/ref=au_pf_dp_chart

$60 each shipped!

CT-MSRT
05-25-2011, 09:15 AM
I'm ordering 2 for the front right now. They are not bad on my car but as you said it's only a matter of time. I'd hate to miss a track day because one gave out during a session.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/compatibility-chart/B000IYHXDK/ref=au_pf_dp_chart

$60 each shipped!

nice find. I got to thinking, mine have been going for a while. they were just tough enough to hold on well beyond their official demise.

Don't forget you need new retaining nuts. never reuse those.

bigjim
05-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Spares will be in my track pak from now on, its getting too heavy for a "car" to carry...

Super Bee 555
05-31-2011, 10:28 PM
Just ordered wheel bearing.
Hope it stops that front end falling off sound.

09 Plym
05-31-2011, 10:46 PM
Please post your impressions after you get these on the track. I am curious how they compare to the EBC Blue as I just installed them over the winter. I am still running stock SRT8 Brembos but have added the titanium backing plates and cooling ducts/fans/backing plates.

Thanks,

NYC_SRT8
05-31-2011, 10:54 PM
Please post your impressions after you get these on the track. I am curious how they compare to the EBC Blue as I just installed them over the winter. I am still running stock SRT8 Brembos but have added the titanium backing plates and cooling ducts/fans/backing plates.

Thanks,

No problemo! I'll give as much feedback as possible.

MattRobertson
08-10-2011, 11:03 AM
Bump. feedback? I've been off the LX grid for awhile.

My hubs were still going strong after 3 + seasons on track. But thats a minor miracle. I replaced them as part of my rebuild. Great find on the new front hubs... I sure as hell paid more than that. Not even rockauto can touch that price. almost makes me want to stock up.

bigjim
08-10-2011, 11:24 AM

My hubs were still going strong after 3 + seasons on track. But thats a minor miracle. I replaced them as part of my rebuild. Great find on the new front hubs... I sure as hell paid more than that. Not even rockauto can touch that price. almost makes me want to stock up.

Not to thread crap, but, ARE YOU BACK UP??

NYC_SRT8
08-10-2011, 12:31 PM

Thanks,

The pads are lights ahead of Blue Stuff for track purposes. I've become way more confident in my brakes and go a lot deeper into the braking zone. Fade is a thing of the past with these. The wear is about on par with the blue stuff but I'm way harder on the brakes than the blue stuff so that may have to do with it. I've gotten 1400+ degree rotor temps after switching. They are just the same on the rotors as blue stuff. 4-5 tracks out of the front and since I've been racing I have not had to change the rear. The st42 on the rear are at 75% pad life after 4 track days. From the pad description it has the best high temp wear out of the formulas available. The downside is the price. ST41 pads for my front stoptech calipers are $299 and rear are $240. Blue stuff you can get for half the price. If you are not going balls out on the track blue stuff is enough IMO.

My front hubs are still ok as well. I have the spares just in case.

MattRobertson
08-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Not to thread crap, but, ARE YOU BACK UP??
gaaaah... no.

The motor was done in Feb. I actually drove it. Once. I'll tell the story when its over. Lots of extenuating circumstances. Mostly brought about by the meltdown of SVS.

when the suspension is finished, the roll bar is supposed to go in. I've been off the car so long I almost don't want to do it. It'd be enough just to get it back and drive the thing for a while.