PDA

View Full Version : NJMP - Lightning 4_17_2010 w/ video

NYC_SRT8
04-19-2011, 09:53 AM
Heres a recap of this weekend of racing for me.

1st, I got the football back for the Lightning Course with a 1:18:33.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r305/ny_smasher/LapRecordLightening4_17_2011-2.jpg

2nd, I beat up on some nice exotics...lamborghini gallardo and a AMG Clk Black Series to name a few.

3rd, This day almost didn't happen. I have the REM bumpsteer kit and it never crossed my mind to check if it will clear my 18" mustang race wheels. I found out the hard way! After putting the wheels on the bottom of the bumpsteer kit was stuck into the rim. For those that are familiar with the kit I had to remove one of the thicker washers and sand down the bolt for it to clear. Worst of all is I didn't find this out till 5 minutes. I missed a few minutes of the session but all was good. Here is a pic of the bumpsteer kit sanded, it's not a good one...
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r305/ny_smasher/IMG_1680.jpg

4th, JV broke down about 10 minutes into the 1st session. His motor is toast. No compression in cylinder 1 and only 60psi in the others. He had to be towed home...

5th, Here is some video from one of the session when I got a point-by from the Lamborghini Gallardo (5:49 - 6:35)...
http://www.youtube.com/user/nysmasher?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/3guekk-wsIA

3guekk-wsIA

SublimeTime
04-19-2011, 10:04 AM
WTG Will. Kickin' azz as usual.

CT-MSRT
04-19-2011, 10:37 AM
well, you sure know how to use the pedal on the right O.K.

bklynmag
04-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Awesome. I can't see the vids at work but I had to watch through my Droid for that one. The wave by from the Gallardo was priceless. You have to somehow get a still pic of that one.

JarZ
04-19-2011, 10:43 AM
Great stuff, Will!:thumbs_u:

NYC_SRT8
04-19-2011, 10:49 AM
WTG Will. Kickin' azz as usual.

Thanks bud

well, you sure know how to use the pedal on the right O.K.

You are a great observer there Mikey...:Na_Na_Na_Na:

keviiinn
04-19-2011, 11:06 AM
great stuff man. and more bad luck for JV?

xevilpetex
04-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Nice vid Will, man those cars were just jumpin out of your way the whole time. Was this an intermediate group or advanced? They seemed slow as hell for an advanced group but they were pointing by way better then any intermediate group ive been in.

Also lol at that m3 with the carbon fiber trunk freaking out and trying to point you by 2 turns before the passing zone.

I noticed you did get off your game for half a lap after that rx8 that balked you on the straight and almost got clipped on your way by. Otherwise you were hittin the apex's nice and smoothly.

Cant wait to get out there with you later this year.

NYC_SRT8
04-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Nice vid Will, man those cars were just jumpin out of your way the whole time. Was this an intermediate group or advanced? They seemed slow as hell for an advanced group but they were pointing by way better then any intermediate group ive been in.

Also lol at that m3 with the carbon fiber trunk freaking out and trying to point you by 2 turns before the passing zone.

I noticed you did get off your game for half a lap after that rx8 that balked you on the straight and almost got clipped on your way by. Otherwise you were hittin the apex's nice and smoothly.

Cant wait to get out there with you later this year.

In the afternoon on Sunday they combined hpde2 and 3. I was running in hpde3. They preached in the classroom many times about pointing by faster cars before they combined the groups. I guess it worked. However, it would be nice to be on the track with faster cars than myself. I'm thinking to sign up for TT or Group4 next time. They had some fast cars in those groups this weekend. Thanks for the compliment. I'm looking forward to getting on the track with you as well.

NYC_SRT8
04-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Awesome. I can't see the vids at work but I had to watch through my Droid for that one. The wave by from the Gallardo was priceless. You have to somehow get a still pic of that one.

When I get home I'm going to make a small clip of it and post it on Lamborghini forums...lol

Great stuff, Will!:thumbs_u:

thanks bro!

great stuff man. and more bad luck for JV?

Yeah, JV's motor is gone. He is the main reason I stayed on sunday. I only signed up for saturday. We thought it's something we could fix but after the compression test we knew it broken beyond repair.

CTRaider
04-19-2011, 12:50 PM
Great footage Will. I love seeing an LX/LC blowing by a car that cost a fortune more than ours. I had a blast at Lime Rock with my new slicks. What a difference. I've got video of one of the sessions that I'll have to post up soon. CT-MSRT didn't hit the track, but he came up anyway and was a huge help setting me up with the new rim/slick combo. Thanks again Mike!

gooeytek
04-19-2011, 02:39 PM
Will's too fast for HPDE-3. HPDE-4/TT is where he should be at. A 370z shop car was doing 119-120 on average, and his teammate in a Z06 was doing 117-118 and is an instructor. He remembers Will from Monticello and had some good things to say, but I'm not gonna divulge because Will might need a bigger helmet. ;) Sunday was a great day for racing, much better than saturday for sure. There were more exotics out on Sunday, and the weather was great.

Unfortunately, my race weekend came to an abrupt halt shortly after my 5th or 6th lap, exiting turn 3. Car shut off, and had to be towed back to the paddock. I didn't even get to use my track wheel setup that I brought along. Meanwhile, Will's 3-year old head+cam setup with stock bottom end was tearing up the track and terrorizing everyone that got in his way. I think I was witness to about only two times that he got passed by (I passed him shortly after turn 1 because he went into limp mode, lol). Made a few new friends who want to do a couple of races throughout the season.

Anyway, it was great weekend despite the problems that I had.

I was supposed to go to Virginia next weekend for the Modern Mopar Series, but that isn't happening now. I can only imagine if I had broken down in Virgina and had to be towed 450 miles home vs 200 miles...

joelvan
04-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Good going Will go ahead and sign up for TT you won't regret it. you will be suprised how much faster
it is when everbody is competing for tires.

CT-MSRT
04-19-2011, 03:06 PM
Good going Will go ahead and sign up for TT you won't regret it. you will be suprised how much faster
it is when everbody is competing for tires.

absolutely. When money or prizes are on the table, you'll see some different kinds of competition show up. It's fun to mess around on random track days no doubt. Work on lines, refine your craft. Stepping up to competition with other cars similarly equipped for your class is an eye opener with our weight factored in.

Hemissary
04-20-2011, 02:52 AM
<sniff> you have such lovely tracks down there...

CT-MSRT
04-20-2011, 06:06 AM
<sniff> you have such lovely tracks down there...

we love visitors in the area. Come on down some time and we'll be sure to accommodate. Usually can get a few of us out at the track if we know someone is making a trip for it.

Hemissary
04-20-2011, 09:46 AM
I appreciate the offer, thanks; however that's ~2600 miles though from here :^)

CT-MSRT
04-20-2011, 09:50 AM
I appreciate the offer, thanks; however that's ~2600 miles though from here :^)

well, if you are ever interested in flying out. plan it around a NJMP or Lime Rock weekend and we can co-drive the same car.

Hemi31
04-20-2011, 09:56 AM
Yeah, JV's motor is gone. He is the main reason I stayed on sunday. I only signed up for saturday. We thought it's something we could fix but after the compression test we knew it broken beyond repair.Broken beyond track repair. He'll be back ready to go very soon.

CT-MSRT
04-20-2011, 10:01 AM
Broken beyond track repair. He'll be back ready to go very soon.

great news! I'm assuming the prognosis and repair will be for another thread though? Looking forward to finding out what happened.

gooeytek
04-20-2011, 10:02 AM
The Hemi Whisperer is coming to my house !

Hemissary
04-20-2011, 11:22 AM
well, if you are ever interested in flying out. plan it around a NJMP or Lime Rock weekend and we can co-drive the same car.

As one Magnum owner to another I'm honored; and the same to you in this direction (our drag strip/road course may be permantly closed at the end of this year).